Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 7 months ago #143290

Hey everyone I am 17 and my family has had this old boat in the family for 2 generations, I do not know anything about it except it was one of the first fiberglass boats, possibly even a prototype, my grandfather died and it was his (title wise) until the day he died, and a memory of him I would like to fix it up can anyone help me identify it, I would be super appreciative .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 7 months ago #143293

Can you take some more closeup pictures? Hard for me to see!

Hello, World!!

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 7 months ago #143297

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Just a quick thought... because it appears translucent to me as it appears I can see sunlight pass through it, it reminds me of a few Herters brand boats I have seen. I am no Herters expert for sure so I hope experts can chime in. I would assume they must have used fiberglass and polyester resin with no pigments, no colored gelcoat, or no paint so that light shines through the hull. I would look closely at the bow and back corners as I have seen cast aluminum parts that tie the hull together that have the boat brand name cast right in. Maybe use the image feature on google And search for Herters or Herters fishing boats and see if one comes up. I will check this website’s library and see what is there. And like Ken said... more pictures and any close up features might help. Look for a transom tag inside or under or around deck... if it has one, that may tell you what you need to know. I am attaching a picture of one of the Herters fishing boats that made me think of yours. I looked in the library, but did not find one like yours with the deck, so I may have the wrong brand. I am just not sure how many old boat brands used this method of construction.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 7 months ago #143298

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think the good Dr. nailed it. I remember many years ago I rode in one of these, probably about 70 years ago :laugh:
If you have your grandfathers title it might give you more information.
You will find the information you are looking for on this site, just be patient.
Cal

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 7 months ago #143299

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
possibly Alumicraft...? take a look at this listing and all of the similar ones towards the bottom.

link may not be showing; go to ebay, holsclaw trailer and look for the alumicraft boat on the holsclaw trailer

good luck-

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 6 months ago #143301

Maxpckr,

It may be a Herters Mk III. I have attached (I hope) a page from the 1956 Herters catalog showing the MK III. There is a section toward the end of the page that explains if you wanted a colored hull it would be an extra $12. The windshield and the front deck are also add-ons. So the Mark III has a split personality, without the bells and whistles it’s a fishing boat. Throw a little money at it and it’s a ski boat.
Most all Herters have the Herters name and the model number cast into the bow piece. There is no other way to absolutely identify a Mark III. The more expensive boats have decals (if they lasted) and aluminum scrip ID.
It sure looks like a Herters. Measure the boat against the catalog specs for further proof of its parentage. Don’t give up if the specs aren’t exactly the same. Herters was noted for using the same catalog for different years and never letting accuracy get in the way.
I have more info on Herters models if you need to dig deeper.
Don
Attachments:

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 6 months ago #143342

Can I see a picture of it from the top?

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 6 months ago #143346

I'll see what I have. One of the pics in catalog page I attached has a pretty good top view. Could you give me an idea of what you want to see in a top view?

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: maxpckr

Does anyone know what kind of boat this might be 3 years 6 months ago #143361

Just to see what the inside look like better

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6208 guests and 3 members online