Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16469

John, Buddy, Relax...

Take a step back. You have setup the ground work for something great here.

No need to stress over it though.

Let it work it's course.

I have some things in mind, that if they work out will satisfy everyone, even the legal minds.

Got to go...stand by...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16472

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
dave if you guys bring me a boat this summer i will still paint it,and if needed ill still do what i can with the interior,in my 1st post i said i would buy extra paint and restore a boat for a child in need,after i get the lido done(now its the cutter jet de ville),hopefully by sping or early summer ,then i could do the donated boat,but i have to go slow,it took 5 months to do the sunray and that didnt include the interor i did during the winter,my heart aint the greatest,the left side was damaged by my 1st heart attack.
so i have to pace myself,even on the sunray i was rushing to get it done for silver lake,and then harveys lake ,i can do this i just need to go slow.
when you guys did the 1st projectx,it was done without any issues,and i gave only a few bucks towards it ,i didnt have much money,still dont,thats why i said i would do labor on this one,i just want to give back for what the fiberglassics people did on the 1st projectx,its important to me.
and i was hoping the recipient would be a member or reader of fg,but just as long as we find a desrving family is good with me.
i want to pay back the fg members for their heartfelt help,when it was needed,thank you all,by the way houston thought up the 1st projectx,ron put things together,and tim calmes did the work on it,and dave and tim delivered it,corrine donated the 1st amount of money and got things going,then the other fantastic folks from fg jumped right in.
kelly and sandi also donated and let you all do it on this site,so thanks to all involved in projectx #1.
maybe ron still has the list of all the great people that made it come together.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16477

John I’m sorry if my sugjestion upset you, just tryin’ to help. I know I can’t see thru your eyes, I saw a toy auctioned and a child in need get a wheelchair. I’m simple also and it looked good.

Maybe the problem is the boat. To do the Manta will be very involed and more costly in money and manhours. My 2 cents… I feel because of what the Manta is earns it a high profile venue to sell. A boat like the T-bird Chief John knows might be a better project option for what he has visioned. It would be a much simplier & cheaper path to the goal.

Please don’t shoot me just a thought.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16482

okay...i just got home and caught up on the posts. this has gotten way out of hand, with licensing and all this other crap that has to be filed with the state...its ridiculous. project X was simple we found a boat,motor, trailer and gave it to a needy family. we didn't need to file a single document. if the same can't be done with this i agree with john, scrap it. 5k for a non-profit organization license..lmao, we got a total of $550. for the restoration. how the hell can we be expected to get 5k donated ...its a joke. we haven't gotten any more pledges than the initial few. we are still WAY short of what we need for resto materials. needless to say i am pretty bummed out. ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16488

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
oh my ,no catfin,not at all i wasnt talking about that at all,i think its a great idea!i was talking about what ron just said,its getting out of hand,im sorry you took it that way,i think the idea of helping get someone a wheelchair is a great idea,im so sorry catfin,if you look back,i was saying that i just wanted something SIMPLE,like the 1st projectx,like pick a boat,fix it up and sell it for someone in need and give them the money.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16489

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
boy now im really bummed too,i never,ever ment to hurt your feeling catfin,i agree its a great cause that will last and mean alot to a child,im glad you thought of it,
i really am sorry you thought that,i should have paid more attention as to where i put my post,im not mad at anybody,heck you guys are trying your butts off,all of you,i just wanted to fix a boat and help a child,your idea is a very good one.john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16490

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
CAT*FIN*k wrote:

I was watchin' Barrett Jacksons auctions tonight. Just a suggestion but Darrell Gwynn was on with a car to sell for his foundation. For those that don't know of him, he was a very highly respected top fuel drag racer. www.darrellgwynn.com/ A horrorific crash ended his driving career and left him bound to a wheel chair.

From his foundations web site.
"The Darrell Gwynn Foundation is dedicated to supporting programs that provide Awareness, Prevention, Support and Ultimately A Cure For Paralysis."
"The Darrell Gwynn Foundation's Wheelchair Donation Program has been providing customized wheelchairs to children and young adults in need across the country since 2002."
darrellgwynnfoundation.org/

like isiad catfin i should have answered your post,but i didnt ,and im sorry,if you read back i was talking about,this getting too big for my britches,im just a small time country boy who is addicted to classic boats,boy i feel bad ,that you thought i dissed your idea,i was blowing off steam,which i never usually do.by the way as i read back to my posts i missed forrests post and jamils post too,im very sorry to them for not even seeing them,i thank you guys too.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16491

ok ok..everybody step back take in some portable sunshine in or something and cheer up...

as it is right now, we are "a-group" of people who want to (step 1) restore a boat into usable condition (Step-2) find -A- family that it can be giving to where they could -B- sell it or raffle it off (or step-3) give it to an organization that could (IE like the shriners) that could operated the sell for a family with a child they know of.

as it stands right now, the project is on step 1.

give me an angle I will work every degree....as a group, we can make this, we can sell it and we can then GIVE 100% to whom ever we want.

john relax....please.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16493

just received this from someone..."lets say you and me, we restored a boat...and lock stock and barrel. give it to john..here john, this is yours to do what ever you wish....he then as an individual turns around and sells it, and he takes the money and gives it to a family....we are not a non profit we are just a group of people."

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16494

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,now im going to look like an idiot and jerk,but lets simplify this,lets do what we did the 1st ime with the 1st projectx,find a boat,fix it,sellit OR give it to a family of a child in need,i like the idea of it going towards an electric wheel chair for a kid.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16495

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
sorry ron,i was writting at the same time as you were,now isee how things get jumbled up,i wasnt posting in answer to you.
thats a good idea,but i dont want the boat or money,i just want to, paint it,lol

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16496

this legal stuff was first brought up by tudor. maybe we should of adressed it then before getting so far into this. i'm going to email corrine as she holds a yearly benefit for cancer ridden kids. corrine is a lawyer. ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16497

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i agree why dont we just help out corrines benifit for kids she did start alot of the giving both times,i think we should all just donate to that.john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16498

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
or if anyone wishes donate to cafins orinazation,ill split a hundred with each charity,50/50 its all i can afford with just buying the cutter jet deville,it doesnt matter who or what you want to donate to,but just help a child,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16499

john, lets wait for corrines answer...then decide.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16500

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
and im going to do it in fiberglassics name if its ok with fg?all that matters here is helping a kid,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16503

from what i've been hearing project x was illegal. well come lock me up and be responsible for my dialysis treatments. :dry:

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16505

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Folks.....I have to apologize I spoke up and said I'd reach out to a guy that with a group of folks did this before. I got waylaid but I just a few minutes ago did reach out. I hope to hear back soon. This could still be a very simple thing to do without complication.
Hang in there someone place a large candle stick under my big butt so I am on it. I will report back soon (I hope)

Jim Melanson (G3Jim aka boat addict, mercoholic and anything else boat related) :0)

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16507

I brought up the legal comments since, as this project was getting more complex, I wanted us to be sure we were not getting in ourselves in any trouble. Since this is a one time project and not a continuing enterprise, a 501c3 would probably not be needed. However, when you start collecting money and especially when we were talking about canvasing money/product from businesses, the rules change. I wasn't trying to make anything more difficult, I just wanted to be sure that we were doing everything on the up-and-up.

Given the relatively low value of this project, we would most likely be under the radar anyway. However the way rules are changing so you never know.

If we want to fix up a boat, sell it and give the money to an individual and there is little fanfare, that should not be a problem. If you donate the money to a charity, they are required to give you a receipt (there may be a dollar limit, but I think it is very low). The question then becomes who gets it. Minor, but should be figured before the fact (I would vote John). If you donate the boat, then it could become a tax liability for the recipient and there could be some things that we would need to address (such as current ownership and paper trail of the boat). I felt it was better to figure this stuff out now than later.

As you can tell, I get pretty detailed about planning things out, sometimes too much. I hope I didn't alienate anybody in the process. I just try to anticipate.

Something I didn't see addressed (at least not openly) was CF's comment about maybe the MRP is too involved for this. The estimates I saw was about 350 hours and up to $2000. What would a restored MRP sell for? Would a simpler boat be better and a more efficient use of time and money? Not trying to dis anybody's efforts or generosity, just restating a question that I think we ought to answer.

Corrine's benefit sounds like a great idea. What kind of a time frame would we be looking at to complete the boat and sell it?

T

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16509

hum a candle or a road flare...hehehe, I be thinking a road flare around the same location could be more effective.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16516

John...no feelings hurt here...I was afraid I pushed you over the edge. There have been many good groups mentioned. PLEASE there is no need to donate your $$$ to the one I ran across.

For those that did not see the Barrett Jackson auction last night. This was the 5th time Darrell Gwynns foundation sold that car last night for the foundation. Every buyer who has bought the car in the past paid and then re-donated the car back to his foundation. Over 1 million has been raised now from selling that car. The 1st show it was auctioned it was sold 3 times and re-donated. I gotta givem credit for gettin' the most out of what they do. No commisions are charged at the BJ charity auctions 100% of the sale price goes to the organization that is selling. Darrell Gwynn's foundation gave a child a nice wheelchair. There are always many children on stage for these, one gets to drop the hammer. Most are for children foundations but I have seen some for Vets at BJs also.

I think the legals will be minor. I had to get a number a few years back for a trust. The lawyer that prepared the papers to send in to the IRS only charged for 1/2 hour. The way it was explained to me this is the same type thing. A small local group can fly under the radar, happens all the time, until someone complains.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16524

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
vuyosevich wrote:

from what i've been hearing project x was illegal. well come lock me up and be responsible for my dialysis treatments. :dry:

what? the 1st one was illegal?why?,and if thats the case ,im definatly out of this one.
this is the time to stop this before people get thier donations sent in,besides i cant take this stress anymore,its too much on me right now.im very sorry but i have to think of my health also.
so i bow out,and will do like i said ,after i pay for the cutter ill give corrines fundraiser some money and catfinks suggestion s
ome money.i cant afford much but that wasnt the point the whole way through this,helping a kid was the point.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16525

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
g3jim wrote:

Hey Folks.....I have to apologize I spoke up and said I'd reach out to a guy that with a group of folks did this before. I got waylaid but I just a few minutes ago did reach out. I hope to hear back soon. This could still be a very simple thing to do without complication.
Hang in there someone place a large candle stick under my big butt so I am on it. I will report back soon (I hope)

Jim Melanson (G3Jim aka boat addict, mercoholic and anything else boat related) :0)

hey jim no problem,it wont matter anyhow,im out of the project ,ill just give money to other kids charitys,and so should others that can afford it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16526

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tudor we know you were only doing whats right,but its getting way too big too fast ,at least for me anyhow,i think the ones that wanted to help,should pick a charity of their choosing and give that charity what you were willing to donate for this project.
and as for my labor if you read the 1st post i was going to finsh the lido(at that time,i have since got a differnt boat)and just buy extra paint ,for a donated boat,simple,or so i thought.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16527

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
catfin,lol thanks,but noone here pushed me over the edge it was the complicated nature that the project was taking on,just too much crap,and hoops to step in and jump through,instead lets just help a kid by what i said above ,donate to the charity of your choice,at least we got people to think about helping kids out,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16540

hmmm...i wonder if the annual boat calendar that i do is illegal. its pretty much the same thing..receiving money then giving something in return. well i'll keep on doing it anyway.lol ron

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16547

John,

I don't think what you were planning on doing is illegal at all. Just a group of people getting together and doing a project and donating it to someone.

Where it got complicated was with the possibility of soliciting donations from larger companies and the issue of who would transfer what to whom. Taxes have to be paid by someone when things are transferred, so the less transfers the better. If we were forming a group that planned on doing this on a regular basis, that may be a different story. I was checking into some things with some people that know more about the legal consequences of this than I do, but if you want me to stop, I will.

Frank,

You seem to be correct about the 501(c)3 corp. thing. I was going by what I was told by someone from a local group I work with and apparently I was misinformed. I apologize.

___

As far as the project, this one is totally different than the first one. Heck, I'm not even sure the trailer was registered when that boat was delivered.

The first project X was also not a valued and highly sought after Glassic as this one is. To do a boat like this the right way is definitely more involved than the original project.

___

If the project does get back on track, let me know, I was looking into a local camp that could use the boat to benefit lots of sick kids, and they would be able to take care of it and maybe even have the kids bring it to some shows...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16556

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks dave,but yeah im stoping it at least on my end,what im going to do instead is give some money to corrines charity and catfins,i just have to wait awhile,since im buying the cutter jet de ville,im going to be behind a bill or 2 ,but ill give it thats for sure,i suggest the people that were going to give to this project ,give to the charity of their choice,then this thread will not have been in vain,it will still help someone,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16560

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I have not heard back from the guy I know that has done this already but it was himself and a group of friends that took a barn find boat, pitched in and restored it to new. Then when it was done put it to auction on ebay then donated the proceeds to a charity/family
I doubt for an effort such as this you need to solicit materials from vendors just put a bunch of guys together and do it. When done off it goes at a raffle or sell it on ebay. Do not associate yourself with any foundations out there they will make it complicated and if using their name will want involvement. Just keep it as a bunch of folks doing something good.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16561

Jim, I think the project is done...

I know I was in it for john as much as for the kid.

If the rest of the group wants to proceed, it looks like we would need someone to do the finish work...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16564

OK, I've been quiet while this venture was dieing .... but lemme tell ya. This REALLY bums me out! I have to appologize, cause I think I was the one who made the insinuation that if we pulled this off well it might could be a ... well , not regular, but every now and then thing at least. I'm also just a simple country boy, and I had no inclination it would become such a nightmare. But I was truly looking forward to working with, and probly meeting, you guys. I have no $, just some know how, and wanted to give all of that I could. I get that the MRP is too much, so I gotta lone star cadet, with most of the hard ware, that ya'll can have if someone comes & gets it. As for it being illegal & yada yada .. Anyone who want's to impede me from helping s/o in need can KMA!!! That's my 2 cents. I'm still in on any project anyone wants to do. I dont care how complicated. If s/o imagines complications, they can iron them out themselves. I just fix motors, sorry. Shannon

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16567

Oh, and by "As for it being illegal & yada yada .. Anyone who want's to impede me from helping s/o in need can KMA!!!" I'm not refering to you guy's who're trying to forsee the problems, I commend that! I'm talking about whoever would have a problem with us doing the project. The folks whoever they may be, who would try to punish us for doing good, only not by thier book. So I hope none of you guys feel that's directed at you, it's not. Sorry, I get a bit PO'ed about the idea of breaking some law by helping someone. Stupid laws & rules made by stupid overreaching bureaucrats make me disgusted sometimes.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16570

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
1st i want to thank you all for he great effort you out into my little idea to help a kid.
2nd,thanks jim,that was my original intension,if you read the 1st post i wanted to finish my lido(that has changed to the cutter jet de ville),hopefully by summer.
then i was going to buy extra paint and then paint a donated boat with it.
then find a kid in need and take them out for a weekend on the boat and let the kid name it,then sell it on ebay and give the family the money,every penny.
but things got away from us,and it became a confusing mess.
3rd,thank you dave i appreciate it.
4th,shannon,i agree with all my heart,im just a country boy too,without alot of money,thats why i was going to paint the boat.
it would take me a long while to do so because of my heart problems,but if i took my time i could do it,like i said i was hoping to do it over next sumer if i could.
your all great folks,im including ron too because he was onboard at the mention of helping a kid even though his health is bad,dave,corrine,brian,doug,catfin,jamil,forrest,gary,frank,tudor among some other great folks put your heart and soul into this and i thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
if i could still paint a boat for you guys,i will,i just have to go slow,without all the confusion,its too hard onme,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16611

Well does anyone wanna do this with a less crucial & costly boat, the cadet I offered? Oh, and John, congrats on scoring the CJDV!! Is it the kind with the louvres on the transom?

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16617

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
shannon,thanks,im not sure yet but it does have chrome vents and a deck lid on the rear.
shannon how bad of shape is the cadet,would it cost alot to finish?

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16618

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
see i knew i would lose respect on this,it still means alot to me,but someone still took away a karma point from me,so that tells me i have lost the respect of the others here,and all i was trying to do is help someone in need.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16619

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John
Your initial intention is what everyone here is following.
It is one of the most outstanding things that one person can do for another. Especially for a child.
Yet when there are this many ladles in the soup, it can really get stirred up. But that does'nt mean the soup will turn out bad! :)
Hang in there, stay the course. If it seems that things are getting confused, tangled up, out of control, just think of the obstacles
that a sick or handicapped child would have to fight to overcome.
This seems to make these shrink a bunch.
Your friend
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16621

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John, your intentions were/are nothing but noble and good, and the majority of us do understand your concern about the detail. In the time it took me to read you latest post, someone has gone in and "fixed" your karma rating! (Took less than an hour!) Don't worry buddy, your true friends here know your heart was in the right place. As stated in earlier posts, we can't have you stressing out over this, it just isn't good for ya!

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16626

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you neil and mark ,that means alot to me to have great friends like you,i try to do my best to earn the respect of my friends,and like you guys,i have many that are true friends,thats why i stay here.
losing karma didnt bother me,but losing someones respect did.
thanks shannon your right,ill keep thinking of the kid who needs us,bring me a boat when im done with mine and ill custom paint it.
thanks mark,it means alot to have true friends,and im trying not to stress ,but i do anyhow,lol,ill just keep thinking of helping a kid out.
i did get good news yesterday,lol,my wife told me i could only have 1 boat at a time,then yesteray i told her i was going to put the lido away,she then said why not keep it,but only if i let her pick out the colors,lol,
whats bad here is we have hp limits on all the close lakes here,so we would put a small motor on the lido,and do the cutter jet de ville for bigger lakes and boat shows.
and like i said above and from the begining,just bring me a boat when im done with the cutter,this summer and ill custom paint it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16637

this is very sad indeed. john floated a great idea that was turned into a giant fiasco. :angry: please keep me updated as to when this can be brought back to the original plan and i will be glad to follow throughb with my donation.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage