Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16274

anything that neil can get donated or get a significant discount on, i say get it now. if john can do the upholstery over the winter that will give us a good head start come spring. ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16285

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i agree,and if we get the grey and charcol,i can do almost any color scheme for the paint,we will just have to get matching vinyl too.about 8 yards of grey and 3 yards of charcol,and ill 2 tone the interior to match the seats.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16292

Now I'm loving the looks of those John... New & quality, while keeping in the character with the originals. Nice! I'm trying to get ahold of that george guy today to see if has a supplier and can get more, or if that was a one shot deal. If we can get them more affordably from him, should I tell him to get some ordered for us?

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16294

Scratch that, just talked to him. No dice, he's sold all the sets he's gonna have.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16297

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thats ok shannon,,you gave it a try anyhow,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16300

Thx, Pretty disappointed though. Was really hoping to save the project some $ to give us more flexability. Not only that, I'm needing seats in all 3 of my boats too, but the wife was all "blah blah we're broke blah blah ......." I knew I was gonna miss a golden opportunity!! UUUGGHHH!!!!

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16301

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,im in the same boat(pun intended),i have to get 350 bucks for a really nice cutter jet deville,and replace it quick,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16302

John, and all, I think we should put feelers out on securing all the donations that we can first.

That includes seats, mat and resin, re-chroming service, tune up parts, miscellaneous rigging supplies, and paint and related supplies.

We should try to get everything that we can donated from the larger companies first so that we know what we have to make up with member donations. Who knows, we may find a company willing to underwrite a large portion of the project.

Maybe Brian can provide a survey of the boat since he is close by and has the experience.

We would need to know roughly how much mat and resin we will need.

Is the transom blank cut?

What thickness?

Is there a floor that needs to be redone?

Is there plywood already cut for that?

What other deck plywood needs to be replaced?

Is there plywood cut for that?

If I'm doing the structural work, I would prefer Vinyl Ester resin, although I can work with any good resin - XXX polyester or epoxy. fiberglass mat, 1.5 oz. seems to be good for most work, with a small amount of cloth, 2 oz and a piece of heavy roving for the transom.

Brian, Are you still willing to install the transom?

Ron, We need to work on a timeline and spell things out as to who has donated what and when.

Is everyone that has donated time or materials still on board?

We have to start somewhere, might as well start at the beginning...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16304

All too true Mark/cc ... I think whoever made the project logo should (if they can manage) design a full page flyer outlining the project and it's need and post it on here so any of us can bring it up & print it out. I have a few marinas near me I can post them for sure. No doubt everyone here has locals they'll be soon that would have many who'd be interested in this project, not to mention the online possabilities.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16305

As far as donations go, the first place to start would be the sponsors on this site.

Maybe Todd can put together a short letter outlining our needs to send to the sponsors.

Dave

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16309

People,

Before we get too far into this, we need to put some sort of organization to it. Let's finalize the committee, elect a chairperson and project manager (could be the same person) and get a game plan together on how we are going to do this. It will also give us a forum on laying out all of the things we need to address and put people in charge of specific tasks. This could get out of control very easily and potentially could get ugly. We should do it before a lot of the hard decisions are made.

If we are going to do this, I would suggest a moratorium on any more activity until we have it under control.

BTW, most formal committees are made up of an even number of people. The chairperson typically only votes in the event of a tie (similar to the Vice President in the Senate)

I think this makes 6 cents now.

Todd (aka thetudor)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16311

Well, I would nominate John for chairman, if I get a vote.

So Todd, who does get a vote?

How do you suggest we vote?

I believe there is the ability on this site to put up a "poll".

Would that be the way to go?

How formal do we need/want to make this?

Right now this sort of seems to be a free for all, but how do we get a handle on organizing this?

Do we want to set a precedence here by asking the members to organize in any sort of group?

All questions to ponder...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16315

Several people have volunteered to be on a committee. Since we don't have any other way of putting something together, that is probably as good as anything. Those people, as part of that committee would get to vote on topics. As to how to do it, this is a discussion that we need to have amongst the committee members.

I don't think we need to be overly formal, but a group in charge would be helpful. We do have some legal and financial issues as well as a need to find an appropriate recipient (and set up criteria for that).

The way we get a handle is to formalize the committee, assign responsibilities and channel everything through whoever is in charge of that item. I really feel we need to do this in order to keep the project on track. If we are actually setting a precedent, then it is probably a good one.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16321

I know that I am not around a whole lot anymore but I would really like to help with this. I was helped tremendously a few years ago by a group of Fiberglassics friends and feel that it is only right to give back. I don't have a lot of stuff but I have some things that could help. Let me know how I can help. I am in Central/Northern NY. Forrest

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16322

I know that I am not around a whole lot anymore but I would really like to help with this. I was helped tremendously a few years ago by a group of Fiberglassics friends and feel that it is only right to give back. I don't have a lot of stuff but I have some things that could help. Let me know how I can help. I am in Central/Northern NY. Forrest

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16335

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
there are 5 of us on the commitee ,am i right,dave had listed them.
i vote for ron and dave as chairman,and project manager,they were both involved with the 1st projectx.and it went well,this one is getting complicated.
forrest thank you we appreciate all the help we can get.
over 2000 this thread has been read,someone has to know a child that needs our help.if so let us know,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16339

i have to decline as chairman/project mgr. i know nothing about restorationi. i paid others to do my boat, plus i will be starting the 2011 boat calendar in 2 weeks and that alone is a lot of work. i can do what i originally stated.
dave/john-chairman,project manager
mark s.-commitee
todd (tudor)-commitee
myself-commitee
doug hasn't replied
andrew hasn't replied

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16340

If desired I will be happy to put together a survey of the boat and a recommended project plan. It's 2 miles from our home.

As far as the hull, which needs a ton of work, I am mulling over whether I should just do this for the project as my donation before giving it to John. And maybe F could get the materials I need from NAPA. I will look it over in the next few days and let you know. There are many, many hours of repairs to the exterior of this boat needed. Some structural, some cosmetic, but I'm estimating about 150 hours on the hull alone.

What I have felt for some time is that the top should go to John ASAP. This can be done on a cartop. Don't need a trailer. This would let him get going on trim, interior, etc. The hull should stay here and get the majority of repairs done on it.

Don't hold me to this until I have a chance to look this over. I have a ton of irons in the fire, and not a lot of time to work on everything.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16399

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i agree wih you brian,it would be great if you can do the hull for me, ill probably have 150 to 200 hours on the top and interior,just not all at once,there were some small anomilies in my stress test,but not enough for surgery yet,thank goodness,do you have the panals thay were vinyl covered ,if so i can use them also for patterns,to make new ones.

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16400

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Brian, If you (and F) could do a detailed survey on the hull that would be great. (I understand your not committing to the labor just yet, but we have our fingers crossed. Sounds like your plate is pretty full right now.) One step at a time.

The next step is getting the top and any interior parts down to John ASAP, right?.

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16405

A couple of questions:

This project is spread over at least 3 states at this point. Should we consider "anchoring" the project on one state and letting the rest be satellite locations? That way if we have legal or financial issues, we are only dealing with one set of laws.

Who is going to review and authorize distribution of money?

What are the qualifications for the recipient? Terminal illness only or long term disability? Congenital defect or accident victim? What age? Living at home or in group home/treatment facility? From what region? Upper income limits? Restrict applicant from being family, friend, acquaintance or co-worker of committee members? (I vote yes - to avoid possible conflict of interest). How are we going to locate them?

Who is going to collect and oversee donated material? (i have a couple of packages of fiberglass matting that I will kick in, but need to know where it goes)

Suggestion for boat name - "Gibson Girl"

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16408

Just a couple heads ups, you may be aware of already. The top on my Manta was like under cooked lasagna pasta. It is very weak at the ends of the dash. Even with 3 people handlin' it gently it still cracked on both sides, from the rub rail lip in.

The hull has wood from the transom forward to the bow storage deck. There is additional wood from the transom to forward of the back seat, acting as a stringer. The wood in mine is in the same condition as the rest of the boat...worm food. I'm planning on access thru the outside to replace the wood with PVC.

The floor I tried to outline in red and the yellow outlines the end on the stringer.

I'll pull my extra CC hardware tody when the rain lets up. Who should I mail them to?

Ya or Na on the extra parts powerhead?

For a boat name...."Then Again"
Attachments:

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16411

Yea, if it's in the same series, or if we dunno & can't easily discover the series.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16412

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tudor alot of good questions,i think ny should be the anchor state,im the only one in pa,
i would trust ron with my life,he handled eveything with the1st project.and hes already handling that end.
as far as the aplicant i want to help a child,from 0 to 17,the illness doesnt have to be terminal,and it doesnt matter how it happened,region doesnt matter,and it should be someone in need of our help financally and our sprit as a team.
i definatly agree the committee members should not be realated or know this person in anyway,period.its ok if we see a child on a poster or somthing like that as long as there is no connection with us comittee members.we definatly dont want favoritisim.
check with ron and mark on what goes where.i think brian and i will need the mating,brian is doing his hull 1st though.
as for the name ,thanks for that,lol,it made my day,but maybe we can let the child name it,as an extra thrill for them,or just name it after them ,(like "julies dream"or "williams wish"etc")or name it projectX2,we have alot of time for that though,this wont be done until next summer sometime,there are alot of hours to do this boat,and i have to go slow because of my health.
so thats my vote on things,lets see the rest of the committes vote.john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16413

lonewolf8814 wrote:

Yea, if it's in the same series, or if we dunno & can't easily discover the series.

Had a break in the rain and got the number for the PH 1296891, 1960-`61, Rather low number #480 out of 88,394. The PH looked the same as the one in MI so I was going to keep it for parts, never looked up the numbers assumed it was a 1961 as the boat. I remember the 700 in MI being a `62. If the pee hole is an indicator they are different.

I hate to scrap it but no one else wants it but the scraprs. Brazil will charge me big $$$ import tax in it. Already have and extra 1000 PW, really need to find the a short mid&lower unit to bring.

thetudor brings up a good point about the legals. Everythin' in this country is taxed...licensed...or illegal. I'm 99.9% sure a Federal Tax ID Number will be needed for a non-profit business. I'm not lookin' for a deduction, but other may. The buyer for one. They can only deduct what they pay over the boats normal value. Without the the id# they get zero detuction, limiting it's sale price.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16414

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
catfin thanks for the heads up,we appreciate it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16415

Well cat, before ya scrap it, send it to me anyways, even if it dont work for the project motor.. Heck, I could use it for parts in the future maybe. It's against my religion to throw away ANYTHING that could even possably be used for something!! LOL! Seriously!! How much $ are ya trin to get from the scrapyard for it?

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16416

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i cant believe this,we have had over 2600 hits on this thread and no one knows of a family in need of help,with a sick child.
please let us help at least one child and family.nominate them if you do know of someone.
we get nothing from this except the knowledge that we did something good in this world,if we cant help them,then we are doing this for nothing,and should stop.john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16418

Well, John. I know a family (previous customers of mine) with a young boy who has down syndrome (I think that's what it is, not certain). But I dunno if we who're involved in the project can put forth candidates or not. That's the conflict of interest thing again, ya know. Alot of the views is us maybe. Do we have the resourses to search the country for candidates, or are we waiting for the candidates to come to us?

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16419

Yes, 2600 visits, but I have a feeling they are all by the same group of people.

I also have to decline as chairman or whatever we are calling that position. I still vote for John, It's your baby from the start. If John won't do it, maybe Todd? He seems to have experience running groups like this.

I'll volunteer for PM/expediter or whatever we are calling that position. I'll also assist Brian if he decides to do it. Whatever the group decides.

It seems I may no longer have a facility for working on this as my existing spot may be getting rented out. I don't pay anything for it, so I can't complain if my boss wants to make a few bucks renting it out.

There is a possibility that I may be able to rent a spot, but I have a feeling that that's not in the budget. I may be able to get that spot donated as well, I'll have to see.

As far as a non profit in NYS, fees start at $5K to set up a 501c3 non profit corporation. Anyone want to step up with the cash? Didn't think so...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16420

Yeah, I was gonna point out that NY is the most expensive state to even breathe in! LOL! They tax & fee the eyes out of EXERYTHING up there! Ya'll may wanna look at a neighboring state, Pa maybe. Dunno, just a suggestion.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16433

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
man this is getting complicated,i just wanted to get some people together ,do a boat and sell it to help out a kid,giving every penny away,to that family.
it would be great to help out a child with downs,but when we(the commitee) are involved,i think its a confict of interest.
i too saw a flyer for a child with cancer for a fundraiser but ,im involved too,even though i dont know the child or family i think its still a conflict of interest.
i have noticed that lately we are the only ones posting anything.
i dont want to be chairman,but i do vote for dave as pm.but if we dont get a responce for a family in need ,i think we should pull the plug on this ,i thought it was a good idea,but appearently not.
everyone of you have participated in this in any way are truely huge hearted people,and i think you deserve a big thank you from me.
i also want to thank kelly and sandi,and the moderators for putting up with this,thank you fiberglassics,you all are fantastic people,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16451

I haven't really chimed in here because I have a secret project of my own up here in the Northwest, (Give me about a month and I think you'll all be pretty entertained), but I would like to throw my hat into the ring.

I don't know in what way I can help, but if I can be of service, even just for reference purposes, I'd like to.

Let me know.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16454

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for the offer Jamil, can't wait to see what you've been up to.

John, let's pause and ponder this before we "pull the plug". Granted, there are numerous details to be ironed out. While it might seem overwhelming at the moment, I believe you have the support of a number of good people in this noble endeavor. Finding and/or choosing a worthy recipient could realistically be the last step of the project. (I'm sure there are many out there, we'll come up with one eventually.) Take some time to think things over, sleep on it, let the dust settle a little as they say. All this has happened very quickly, but I hope the concept deserves further consideration.

Mark

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16455

well john, I got a line or two you may want to look at....one is a kid another is an adult. I will tell CC

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16457

Just a couple of odd ball things off the top of my tired head (oh what a day btw)

if your going to make it and then sell it, the "principles" of donors could give the money received to a preselected foundation such for Epilepsy research (which someone you all have heard about has), or a similar foundation....of what ever the principles decide, it could even be divided in to a couple....

the odd thing about the first project-X was the cart was placed before the horse where as I, kind of all ready knew the who it was being made for...then everyone came on board and that's about all I really had with the whole project, a destination and a idea.

Now, the thing is john you can either start shaking the bushes around where you are to see if you can find a family that could benefit from a project like this or the principles can approach a foundation directly where they could raffle off the boat...

a number of different things can be done when the "cart is done", the only thing right now is to stay focused on the project, the principles of the project will figure out whats what when it ready to move on to the next segment of the project.

me, I was always just a guy with an idea.

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16458

I was watchin' Barrett Jacksons auctions tonight. Just a suggestion but Darrell Gwynn was on with a car to sell for his foundation. For those that don't know of him, he was a very highly respected top fuel drag racer. www.darrellgwynn.com/ A horrorific crash ended his driving career and left him bound to a wheel chair.

From his foundations web site.
"The Darrell Gwynn Foundation is dedicated to supporting programs that provide Awareness, Prevention, Support and Ultimately A Cure For Paralysis."
"The Darrell Gwynn Foundation's Wheelchair Donation Program has been providing customized wheelchairs to children and young adults in need across the country since 2002."
darrellgwynnfoundation.org/

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16462

cc1000 wrote:

As far as a non profit in NYS, fees start at $5K to set up a 501c3 non profit corporation. Anyone want to step up with the cash? Didn't think so...

This is something I can speak to. The 501 (c) 3 corp is a federal thing, and anybody can apply, just as anyone can set up a not-for-profit corporation in NYS. Just setting up a not-for-profit corporation in NYS does not give donators any tax benefits. Only the 501 (c) 3 can do that.

The problem with the 501 (c) 3 is everything has to be exactly correct when it's filed with the IRS, otherwise it will take years literally. Sometimes you can find attorneys or better yet accountants that have done these filings for many groups and know how to do it right the first time. It should NOT run 5 grand, I know that, I just don't know anybody around here that does that stuff. Been a long time since I formed one, and that was up in Massena. Somebody did it for us pro bono.

I haven't looked around on the web, but you might be able to find templates for applying for these things free or very inexpensively. the NYS not-for-profit would need to be formed first with articles of incorporation and by-laws. these items would be necessary for the 501 (c) 3 filing. It's not that tough for somebody that knows what they're doing.

Frank

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16466

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
im almost ready to bow out,this is getting way ahead of what i had in mind,like i have said all i wanted to do is
#1 custom restore a boat
#2sell the boat hopefully to a glasshead/collector
#3 give ALL the money to a family with a child in need
my idea was just basicly a fundraiser for that child,not a corporation or a charity,just a some of us pitching in to help a kid.
i may just keep the lido,and finish it next year and do it with the glasspar lido,it wont be show quality but it will be a boat that floats.
i thank you all for the support and heartfelt work you have all done,but this is getting way out of my leauge,im a pretty simple guy,if you guys want to continue ill support you any way i can.john,ps you guys and ladies are the best people i have ever had the pleasure of talking with,john

---Mark Twain

Re:the thread for project x 2011/help a sick child 13 years 7 months ago #16468

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
this is way too stressful for a guy with heart issues,im eating nitro like candy,when i proposed this,i thought it would be a fundraiser,and was ready to do a boat slowly because of my health,this is straining me beyond belief,like i said i think ill just buy extra paint when i do the cutter jet deville,then do the lido when im done,and sell it and donate the money to a family in need.or because its a very little boat give it to the kid,illleave it up to the family,i planed on doing this next summer,and i will,john

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)