• Page:

TOPIC: Tollycraft

Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69543

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking at this guy. Waiting on a call back.
He left me a message that the motor and drive work well. He used it a few times and hauled it out to do the cosmetics and never put it back in the water. It has been out for 2 years. We will see what happens. I will keep you posted. I am not to crazy about the fact that it has been on a trailer with rollers for two years, but it is what it is.
portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3285810497.html
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69548

Looks like that trailer is a little small for that boat. Boat don't look to bad from the side.Tollycraft is a good make of boat. Not alot of problems with them. Good luck with it and remember you have the better part of the rest of your life. Skip.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69549

Excellent find Neil. Great boat but I would be worried , as you about the roller trailer for 2 years. That's a long time for a wood boat. Make sure you check that bottom REAL well.

Bob

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69550

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bob and Skip
Thanks to the advise from the members here I know what to look for in these old wooden gems. It is 300 miles from me and I have been trying to get ahold of the fellar again. I would like him to send some pics before I make the trip.
A Tolly cabin cruiser and our little Tolly runabout would make a nice pair. Looking real hard at having just these two if this one pans out. I would pass the fiberglass stuff onto the next owners and just stick with these two. Keep collecting Mercs and quit shopping.
(As I was typing there was a little voice saying "Yeah right, like that is going to happen".) :(
Mary has been at me a little about getting the little Tolly going.
We are going to make a winter project out of it that we will do together. That will be just as fun as using the boat.
Neil
Here is a couple shots for our new folks of our first Tolly that was a true barn find.
Backed in the shed in 1979. We were the first people to pull it out since then.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69631

Neil,
That's a great idea, they would make a great pair. Plus having the wife help makes it that much better. As far as stopping, YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Bob

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69637

LMAO! Sure, you can quit shopping just like a woman can quit shopping for a purse and shoes. Nice little tolly you have there. What yr. There is one just like it just north of you in Cranbrook. BC. There are 3 or 4 of them in calgary ab. also. They were part of a rental fleet from the sixtys.In my opion they are abit nicer looking than a CC. They are also a very smooth runnig boat on plane.Have fun restoring it and post pics of the inside. Skip. :P

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69660

Geez Neil !!!!
Do you have a warehouse or something ? Where do you keep all your stuff that you find ?

I thought I was bad ? If I put all of my projects end to end, I'd have a 116 foot boat.

My wife banned me from any more boat buys. In fact, I think she implanted a shock collar on mr when I was sleeping ?
Everytime, I see something I like, I get zapped !!!!

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69746

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
CIC
I am blessed with a big shop and a wife that has lost the batteries to my collar! :)
Here is what the gentleman sent me today. There is hope. Well for the boat anyway.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69768

Neil,is that pwoered with a Gray Marine 327 Rambler? Looks like my Jet 35 engine. It was a very popular engine in its day and a good runner! Love to see that in your shop!

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69776

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
72hornet
The add says 327 chevy. When I saw the picture I thought the same thing as you. I have not seen one of those in a long time. My sister had one in a Rambler in high school. It was a runner.
I would like to see it in my shop also. He is asking $1000. I am thinking I can get it a little under that. But still, for a grand, if this thing only needs cosmetic attention, it is a good deal. I just have to go and give it a once over now.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69795

looking at the valve covers,it is an amc 327 and the side draft carter carbs are a fire hazard that has claimed more than one boat.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69840

I'm crossing my fingers for you Neil. That will be a great project !!!!

Bob

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69843

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bob.
I am going Friday to get this little guy.
It is 220 miles east of me and the Tollycraft is 200 west.
I am shooting for next weekend to go and give this Tolly a look.
Hope it doesn't sell out from under me! :(
Neil
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69857

Those Carter side draft carbs were known as widowmakers! I was told that there is a fitting that you can adapt to them to rid them of excess fuel in the event of flooding. I was told this by one who has one in his Century. I am looking into that for my Buehler. That Tolley looks nice and original, but be wary as rot can lurk everywhere!

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69865

i remember reading in a manual that they revised the float setting lower in a try to eliminate fuel dripping out of the rear carb.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69888

Talltales, that maybe what I was refering to. I will find out this evening. My mechanic friend has alot of these old Gray Marine engine manuals. He was the one who mentioned the back carb issue to me. I know that I have a friend with this engine in his Century Raven. I will ask him....

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 6 months ago #69918

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The guy called back tonight and asked about a time frame to come and look. He said he had a local guy and a guy from Portland come and take a look.
It may go away before I can get to it.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70520

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I am on my way today to see this old girl.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70554

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Neil that is an AMC 327, this one would blow the doors off the 327 Chevy.
Runs like a gorilla on steroids and with the trans attached is around 900 lbs. It is the engine that I have in my Sabre (avatar) and pushes that 18 foot heavy woodie 48 mph on a calm day. Mine is set up with the flywheel forward so the pics will seem somewhat confusing. The side draft carbs are NOT a problem if they are set up proper. The float position is key. If it is set too high the back carb will leak slightly when shut down until the bowl levels. I solved the problem by installing a thin crecent shaped brass dam (sorta)in the throat of the aft carb. Been running without a burp or fire since '05. I have a full shop manual and parts manual for the motor if you need anything, parts are available from Graymarine Inc in St Charles IL. I had the upper magnafluxed and rebuilt at a speed shop with new springs, valves, pushers. The lower end is solid cast. If you want to see those AMC motors in action google some AMC/Javelin youtube stuff and watch the smokin' tires.

Attachments:

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70581

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cal
That is a sharp looking engine. Looks to be the one that I have also.
The manual states that with the three piece intake manifold, the carbs can be tilted down in the front.
Thanks for the offer of the manual. In all of the documents with the Tolly is a 158 page Gray Marine manual so I am covered there.
She is home now.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70583

Congratulations Neil, I'm very happy for you and the misses. That's going to be a great to do together.

Bob

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70584

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bob.
As soon as I get home from the ER we will get started! She hit me over the head with the an oar that was in the back of the boat!!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70586

LMAO!!!

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70588

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Neil, I'm sure it was an accident.
That was supposed to be one of the two happiest days of a boat owner and you got hammered.
Attachments:

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70589

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well Cal I am somewhat puzzled. An accident usually comes with an apology and she seemed to be dead serious! :(

Any ways I will be moving this into the Projects threads soon.
Thanks guys.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70601

Neil, look at it this way, at least you will have a place to sleep at night.Skip.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70606

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Neil wrote:

She hit me over the head with the an oar that was in the back of the boat!!

Sometimes I think I'd rather get the whack than "the silent treatment" with the lingering scornful looks Neil. Congrats on the big Tolly, looking forward to watching the project thread!

Mark

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70616

So glad that you got the Tolley! One of the first things that I would recommend would be to modify the trailer to a bunk configuration. Roller trailers on wood hulls are not good! Cal, love your AMC. I pulled my 327 AMC on Saturday to clean, install new hoses, rebuild carbs and install new gaskets on the pan and valley since I am there. Next step is to detail, paint and reinstall in the Spring.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70619

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hornet, The closest "red" I found to match the original is a Valspar called regal red.

Neil, we'll be watching.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70622

Cal, There is a person in Chicago area I beleive that bought out John Dubicus from Duby Marine. He had a considerable amount of parts and engines from Gray Marine. They are supposed to still have paint and engine tags and valve cover decals for these. Rambler Red was supposed to be the name of the color, not sure if that is slang or the actual name of the color! I will get you the contact information for you so Neil and all who need Gray Marine parts can access them. My marine mechanic has talked to them frequently and is ordering all of this for me. Let me know if you need anything and I will be happy to call for you.

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70627

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have all his information. It was an auto parts dealer that bought the complete inventory of Graymarine in Oshkosh, WI. Several semi loads of NOS parts. Cooling lines and belts are old and cracked with age but most of their parts are original. Last time I spoke with Kim, who is the contact there, they were still taking inventory and setting up shelves. The have since been able to cast new exhaust manifolds also.
It's been quite awhile since I've worked with them but what a wonderful and helpful group they are.

Gray Marine INC
310 North 6th Street
St Charles, IL. 60174
PH (630) 485-5007
Fax (630) 584-9141

They do have a website now, if you Google it comes up.
Thanks anyway,
Cal

Re:Tollycraft 11 years 5 months ago #70631

Thanks Cal, That is them!

Tollycraft 3 years 2 months ago #143900

Hello, new guy here and wondering about the progress on the Tollycraft 26' bought by Neil. I have a nice 26' with Nash power too!

Tollycraft 3 years 2 months ago #143905

I would like to hear from those members who have boats powered by the Gray Marine Nash or Fireball engine. I have one in a 26" Tolly Voyager that was a "Barn Find" sitting nineteen years. Great boat, hoping to be ready to launch this summer.

Tollycraft 3 years 2 months ago #143906

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm out of boating now but parts for those engines are available. Mostly NOS.
The boat in my avatar above was powered by a Fireball. Was a 327 AMC V8, not to be confused with a Chevy. The 327 was American Motors/Nash. Strong runner. The fireball also came with a 390 version which was a smoker. They were used it the AMC Javelin cars. the engine was installed backwards. ie. The motor front actually faced the stern and all running gear was run where the crank pulley would normally be. The carb setup was sketchy and needed to be set up precisely. All the books I had, factory manuals I gave to Nautilus on this site. He might still have them on a shelf somewhere if you need info. He has a website. Nautilus restorations or something like that.....(sorry Jan :) )
Haven't done any work on the boat for many years and it was sold but here's the address of a company that has all the parts you could possibly want.

Gray Marine INC
310 North 6th Street
St Charles, IL. 60174
PH (630) 485-5007
Fax (630) 584-9141

Tollycraft 3 years 1 month ago #143946

Anyone know what happened to this guy who bought this Tollycraft? He had great plans, but gave up I guess. Still working on mine and will have her in the water this season.

Re:Tollycraft 3 years 1 month ago #143958

Hi, Pete here, thanks for the info on the engine. that's a nice vessel you had. Good tip on the carb dam too, I rebuilt my carbs and have had no issues. My engine sits in backwards and the exhaust manifolds have risers on them like some later boats, don't see many set up like that. Haven/t heard from Neil, don't know what happened to him. Found a phone number and called but got no responce. Will be doing more to my boat as the weather warms up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)