Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone want to discuss PM-38s?

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 3 months ago #141562

I thought I'd put this in the wood boats forum... oops!

I'm interested in building one as a "toe in the water" towards building a "real" wood boat.

The original was in a 1962 issue of "Popular Mechanics" magazine. They claimed 38 MPH with 28 HP, $38 in materials and 38 hours to build. Obviously, much has changed since 1962.

Here is a link to the original article:

books.google.com/books?id=QN8DAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA140&dq=Popular+Mechanics&lr=&as_brr=0&as_pt=MAGAZINES&pg=PA140&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've never attempted to build anything more complicated than a Pinewood Derby car out of wood. I mean, i have done some trim work and laid wood floors, but never tried anything to this extreme. Is it really difficult to work with plywood?

I'd like to build this to utilize a 1962 Sea King (Gale) 40 I got a while back with the boat in my avatar. It's a long shaft, so I'll have to convert it, but other than that I think it would be a natural fit.

Advice? Suggestions? Forgetaboutit? ;)

My end goal is to learn enough through a project like this to either tackle a restoration on an older wooden boat, or build a new one from plans. I was fortunate enough to acquire a marine conversion Hudson six (most likely a 262) that I'd love to see in either a hydroplane or runabout. I know that building a plywood boat out of a magazine is nowhere near as intense as building something like a Chris Craft, but I believe that it would probably help learn some of the principles.

Thoughts?

jk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 3 months ago #141563

Another question I thought of, is how much fiberglass would the bottom end take? I think it would be a good idea to glass over the bottom, at least up to the water line, to help it seal. But would it add too much weight? Could a thinner plywood be used (or a lighter one, like okoume, instead of fir) and glass over that for the same weight but maybe more strength?

Sorry if these seem totally noob questions- but it is all new to me. LOL

Thanks!

jk

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 3 months ago #141564

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Since you asked, my opinion is that building a boat for "practice" is a waste of time, money and effort. My advice would be to take a look at the plans available from Glen-L: ( www.glen-l.com ) They offer some really great plans and their kits make a build almost "idiot proof" for the novice. Check out these:

www.boatdesigns.com/17-Gentry-gentlemans-runabout/products/217/
www.boatdesigns.com/18-or-19-Biscayne-18-classic-double-cockpit/products/784/

The initial cost of the kit may seem steep but trust me, if you were to do it all on your own, you would end up making a lot of mistakes, wasting a lot of wood and at worst, become disgusted and abandon the project.

Free advice: Read, read, read. Buy all the books you need to educate yourself about building with plywood and building boats in general. Start here: www.boatdesigns.com/Boatbuilding-with-Plywood/productinfo/12-430/

Next, consolidate: Sell the ourboard, sell the Hudson engine (which almost certainly needs to be rebuilt-expensive) and use the money to help fund your build from scratch. With the proper preparation and education, you can do this and end up with a boat you can be proud of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluegill_Bomber

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 3 months ago #141583

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Since you asked....Top picture is from a Glen L kit built a few years back. The picture was taken last August at a show in Wisconsin. The builder said the plans were ok but a lot of the measurements were off and had to be adjusted to fit. I call it "field engineering".
The other pictures are from the same day of beer drinkers building their own wooden boats. They all floated and carried at least 2 persons. The builds took somewhere around 2 to 3 hours and were glued together with Sikaflex and tie wraps. I would suggest you use wallboard screws.
Follow Jan's advice. A project boat can sometimes turn into a rat hole.

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 3 months ago #141598

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I like Jan’s advice. I built a small 8’ Glen-L marine hydroplane back in 1979 in high school woodshop at 18. Had no boat building experience, but shop teacher taught how to use the tools. I bought the plans with full sized patters that you can trace out. I would have liked to buy the frame kit to save time, but I had little money and I didn’t want the shop teacher to doubt my final grade if I didn’t build it all myself. It turned out great, but I would by a frame kit today for sure. It would make it faster and start on a jigged up true frame. I am sure that would help keep interest for anyone building... especially grandpa and grandkid building. Mine was a Tiny Titan by Glen-L and with a 20hp Merc fishing motor and reworked prop... I could get 47 mph... my brother could hit 50... Jan is at another level... but anyone who can see a wooden boat from blue prints to floating in the water will never forget the experience, nor the pride... especially when your classmates tell you every day that it will never float... or It will sink! It didn’t. Besides it was all wood so I had half a chance it would float.

Dr.Go!

Anyone want to discuss PM-38s? 4 years 2 months ago #141607

Right on. Thank you all for the replies. Now that I found them- Gmail was sending the notifications to my spam folder. ;)

I was toying with the Glen L idea as well. There are quite a few plans in there that I like.

For this year, I think it will be hang around the marina/clubs and just watch/learn. Pick people's brains. Mostly just learn more.

Again, thank you all for the input!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)