Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: One Tee Nee .....maybe two?

One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87414

New member to the Forum here,trying to post first message and picture, so please excuse any goof-ups!

I'm in the middle of a conservation of my first Tee Nee, and really enjoy the posts found here. Lots of great tips, info. and stories.

The smaller trailer in the pic, has definite Tee Nee features, especially the suspension, but not sure of its lineage?

No ID plates on either trailer, but those beautiful fenders are unmistakable!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87434

The farther one is the same model as mine and it will have an oval glued on tag on the channel with the axle . I have lots of pics of mine on here in this forum.
Attachments:

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87442

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The closest one is like a Tee Nee I have but it did not come with fenders. I just replaced the pins in the rollers with stainless steel pins that I made myself from stainless rod. Not hard to do. Those pins rust over the years and add friction. There is a video on Youtube on how to replace the pins but he wants $10 per pin and there are seven. I bought the stainless rod for $20. and made seven pins of it in an hour or so and that includes cutting the rod with a hand powered hack saw.

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87448

Robert-Lorigan, thanks for the reply.
Yes I have seen your trailer on the board, nice work!
I did find a metal oval ID plate rivited to the larger trailer with " A-104244" stamped into it.
My trailer doesn't have the concealed winch, so I'm guessing that its newer than yours?

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87450

VintageALboatfan, Thanks for the reply.
My smaller trailer does not have the small rollers in the main beam, and no evidence that there ever was any. Does this fact rule out the possibility that its a Tee-Nee?

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87451

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bill McNamara wrote:

VintageALboatfan, Thanks for the reply.
My smaller trailer does not have the small rollers in the main beam, and no evidence that there ever was any. Does this fact rule out the possibility that its a Tee-Nee?

My guess is that it may well still be a Tee Nee. Mines says so on the winch mount assembly.

I've got a another trailer that is two axle that has an Alumacraft badged on it. It has the concave tube but no rollers.....but instead has a type of carpet glued in place. Exact same under carriage structure so almost has to be made by the same people. I've heard the name 'Holzclaw'(sp.?) mentioned when discussing these trailers, too.

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87452

Since your trailer seems to be missing all it's roller assembly and winch tower I bet someone used it as a parts trailer. What puzzles me about that is the fact that it has the much coveted fenders. Maybe it was being disassembled for repair or something. Some people turn them into regular hauling trailers too. UGGGGG

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87464

The Tee-Nee came complete, with all of its rollers etc., and I was the "picker" who took all the bits and pieces off prior to stripping for re-paint.
The winch drum has Tee-Nee cast into it, but not that nice "tower".
Unfortunately the original wheels were thrown away by the previous owner, and replaced by a couple of new 8" wheels & tires. He thought he'd make the trailer more saleable, Grrrrrrr.
Mod/ser # A-104244, and built in Youngstown Ohio.
Can anyone date the trailer from this info?
Attachments:

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87476

I think the fenders you have was discontinued in 59 but I am not sure. I think the old winch tower was also. But they can be easily changed. I'm still thinking 59 or earlier. I love those bow brackets. I'm glad to hear you have all the roller parts. I need one roller.
My rims were very rusty but the tires held air. After I took the dry rotted tores off and looked at all the holes in the rims I scratched my head as how they held air. After taking a wire brush to them I decided they were too badly compromised and just picked up two with rims. Not original but affordable. A guy walked up to my door after I got through with the trailer and offered me over a grand for it.
Attachments:

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87485

Bill.....we have a trailer exactly like your with the roller bunks....has a 1959 lone star Bermuda on it....looks to be original trailer....it is also blue...john

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87499

John, The blue paint was a brush-on job, with the original yellow underneath. I'm still undecided as to whether I should go "original" or some other custom colour.

I'm also undecided as to whch project boat will eventually ride on it,....a fairly large cedarstrip (16'x6') to be powered by twin engines, or the LEAVENS Fiberglassic??? If its the woodie, then I'd temporarily replace the roller bunks with a carpeted or vinyl covered bunk.
Sort of a "convertable" trailer!

Re: those bunks, my rollers are all there, but need replacement. Looks like I'd have to grind down the pin tails in order to pull them out, then search for some rollers, or make up substitutes? Maybe a hardwood dowel covered in plastic...?

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87501

Robert,
So it looks like my trailer might be around a '59?
Those "new style" wheels look great on your trailer, and I'll pick up some to get me going.Good call not to trust rims with rust holes!
I agree that the bow brackets are very desirable, especially if I decide to use the trailer with the wooden boat,... for the extra support.
The $1K+ offer you got wasn't overly generous in my opinion, as it looks like you've done a really thorough job.
Great fun bringing this old stuff back to life isn't it?

Bill.

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87515

Bill,
Your smaller trailer might be a Sterling.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Sterlingb59011.jpg

Re:One Tee Nee .....maybe two? 10 years 3 months ago #87541

Thanks for the link Unclebuz, that looks like a very good possibility.
One detail I omitted about the smaller trailer was the fact that it has solid cast aluminum wheels, with the bearings right in the wheel as oppossed to the separate bolt-on wheel arrangement.
I couldn't see in the Library pic, which style of wheel it had?

This is such a great Site!!! Thanks guys.

Bill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)