Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting flex line for trailer brakes?

Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54024

I'm at a loss as to where and how this flex hose gets attached. Comes with a snap ring, a bracket and clip. I've looked all over the net trying to figure this out, but no luck, so I'm stuck. any you fellows know anything about this?

Parts I got

All together

What, snap ring goes over the l-shaped bracket?

If I could chose, this is where I'd mount the bracket. What, drill a couple 3/16 holes in the short side of the "L" and fasten it with machine screws?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm making a giant cheeseburger and fries and gonna think about this some...

Thanks!

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54025

Hey Frank, now the fun starts. The little bracket has to be welded to the frame. don't try and screw or bolt it on, will not work. Weld it on where your steel line ends. Make sure that you dont get it way past the end of the steel line as they are a bitch to stretch to make fit if you have allready pre sized them. Also if you are going to run the steel line through that hole you better fit a rubber grommet on it there or a short piece of rubber tubing. Brake lines vibrate really bad on trailers even with lots of clips to hold them on place. You will wear through the line in no time at all. Common mistake on lots of brake installs on boat trailers. Good luck and I will check back after work tonight. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54026

I'd weld it too. I have a double flare tool and I would have put a piece of gas hose over the tube where it comes out. You can slice a piece and slip it over and maybe a zip tie if it is loose on there. Keep the stress down and make it so you can take it loose if you have too. Although omnce installed you will never have to. It looks better running inside the tube. Nice and clean.

Got it mounted, but how does clip work? 12 years 3 months ago #54048

Was a bit off at the tee, so have a 10" longer piece to play with tomorrow a.m.

What I can't figure out is how this clip goes together. Seems to only make sense to have it the way I got it, but it has to be wrong as it doesn't hold it tight.

Anybody have a pic or diagram of how this is supposed to go together?

I'm done for the day, but hope to finish up tomorrow. Thanks!

Frank
Attachments:

Re: Got it mounted, but how does clip work? 12 years 3 months ago #54050

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank I would have to look at our trailer out back but I think the C clip goes on the other side of the mount and the spring clip goes on teh side you have it on, that will let it fir snug. I will go see if I can get a pic.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54051

That's about the only way it can be I guess Jesse. Buddy of mine just emailed me the same thing. I guess I don't get why there's even a clip...

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54052

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank not good pics, but thats how it goes with cell phones..... first pic has the C clip. Second is the spring.
Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54053

Cool! Thanks man, nothing like a pic or two to straighten me out. Will re-do in a.m. Have other stuff to do, want to get this tubing all tied down, sleeved, etc. It'll be good when it's done.

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54071

Frank, looks like your haveing fun there. Look at your second pic you posted in your first post. That is how unit is suppose to go together. I think you welded it on there plenty strong enought. I hope that your flex line is long enough that it does not get stretched out when the weight is off the trailer and the springs are completely unloaded. Be sure to paint it up before you get to far along and have to undue brake lines with fluid in them. Kinda rough on the paint job then. have fun, Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54083

Skip, I'm doing this work with the boat off the trailer, so I think I'll be okay. Now I understand how this clip works, I'll finish up today.

That "L" bracket is welded on very well. I know I got good penetration because the paint was burning off the backside of the frame when I was welding it. When I was whacking it to test it, all I was doing was bending it.

These are the 15" aluminum wheel/radial trailer tire combos I'm putting on it...

Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54090

nice job frank,and those wheels will look great on the trailer,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54093

Thanks John! Finished up bolting everything down, and tightening everything this a.m. Still need to provide some corner protection like Skip suggested using fuel line hose and zip ties, and need to bleed the system. I think I'm in pretty good shape for this coming summer, given it's a ways away...

This is how my flex line ended up:

That union is attached to the axle with a 5/16 bolt and lock washer. I drilled it 17/64, then tapped for 5/16 coarse. Lots of meat there for threads.
Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54100

Frank, looking good there. Nice rims, make sure to use a good set of wheel locks on them.Did they send you any plastic or metal brake line clips? Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54104

Hmm, never even thought about wheel locks. Good idea Skip!

They sent me 4 metal clips. I used 3. It seems to stabilize the system. Think I should use more? I have a bunch of plastic clips with my 12V wiring stuff.

This pic also shows the union I needed to make my line from the coupler long enough to get to the rear crossmember:

I also used 3 old metal clips still on the axle. They're spaced evenly on the back of the axle and are somewhat hard to see unless you're close.

They also sent me big zip locks for tying the lines to the axle. Is that a good idea?

Thanks for the help!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54108

Frank, looking good. You should be ok with the clips as they are, just as long as the brake line is not flopping aroun against the frame you should be good to go. Don't use the the zip ties, they have a bad habit of breaking since they are not UV stable.Seen that happen before. Plus it sure looks tacky when you use them after doing a great job on the rest of it. Paint her up, bleed it and make sure there is no air in it at all or your trailer will hop and bounce from side to side the first time you hit the brakes. Thats when it gets real scary really fast. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54118

I think I got it so the line will not be flopping around Skip. I may use one more clip and I know right where it would go to really make the line very stable.

Bleeding should be relatively easy with the master cylinder above the wheel cylinders. My hot rod master sits under the floor (and is below the front and rear calipers) and is a bear to bleed. I'm not in a rush either, but hope maybe next weekend to fill it, check for leaks and bleed. All my connections are easy to see except the one on the back of the coupler.

I didn't think the zip ties were a good idea either.

Thanks again!

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54121

I built about 30 of those T Buckets back in the70s. All had the master under the floor. I used to force bleed them from the wheel cylinders. Fastest and easyest way to get all the air out on them. On the trailer just lift the tounge up about 3 ft. most air will come out fast that way. leave the cap off the cly when you do it that way. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54128

Wow! No kidding Skip? Were you doing it for your own company or working for someone? Took me 3 years to build mine, but I had never done anything like that. Force bleed eh? I'll have to look into that.

I figured on raising the tongue. 3' shouldn't be a problem.

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54134

It just me and some buddys of mine building them.I bought one kit and decided I could build them better and cheaper, so we did it. Turn key bare bones nothing fancy 350 auto, 10 grand in the early 70s was a good price then. Had butt loads of fun with them.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54140

I had plans from California custom Roadsters and used them to build my own frame, brackets and such. I wanted their plans because they showed how to mount a jag irs. Mine is a 406 sbc with a th350, and lots of junk yard parts!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54141

I found that if a system can be gravity bled it works out just fine. The suction on the bleeders work fine. I made my own by running a tube from the intake on a nasty Nopar car once. It sucked the air right out. That car was nasty for brakes. 70 Duster. What a chunk of scrap it was. That was years ago before any of the suction systems were heard of much. It worked on slave cylinders for clutches too. Some of them are nasty to get bled. When I put all new brakes on my F-150 when I built it I used my own double flare tool and the only fittings are where they ended. If you do much of that work they are a great investment. They are not that much and look better than making loops and twists in your steel line to make them fit. It's cheaper to buy by the roll after your first investment. I never pumped that master cylinder once. If your into doing your own work I highly recommend one. I have tha satisfaction of doing all my work. Only thing I ever paid someone to do on my vehicles was front end alignments and such. I love doing my own work. If it is something you never done it's time to learn something I always said.
Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54143

I have a double flare kit Robert, and made all the lines on my hot rod with it. It was a custom vehicle (from scratch), so it made sense. For the boat trailer, the kit was inexpensive, made it much easier to do (especially in chilly weather), and had all the weird stuff included, no running around.

What Skip and I were discussing was bleeding brakes where the master cylinder is below the wheel cylinders and/or calipers. I don't think many production vehicles are like that - they all have the master cylinder high up in the engine compartment, makes it very easy to bleed.

Like you, I do most all my mechanical work, and have been for a long, long time. That includes building a car from scratch!

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54144

I understand completely. Although I never bled a system under the floor with engine vacuum I think it would work fine. Mind that was before they had the hand vac pumps they do now. I'm redoing a truck for my son now where a PROFESSIONAL shop repaired his brake lines. They used the pre-cut and ended lines from a parts store and they are twisted into curly Q and s shapes all under the truck. I could not believe a Pro shop had done it. That is the pic of the rear frame above. We lost our nice outside weather so she had to sit for a few months. I'll have to take some pics when I get a nice day, it is truly funny. I know it was done by Good Brothers in Kittanning because my Son got the truck from his Father-in-Law. I can just see Curly, Moe and Larry working on it now. Don't leave the rust hole in the fender fool you. It is a solid cab and frame. We have rust-free fenders for it and we are putting a rust-free bed on it. I used to repair all kinds of cars, trucks, tractors, anything I could when I was young to make money. Many of the older trucks had brake systems under the floor. Been there done that.
Attachments:

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54155

Nice little T bucket there Frank. Kinda like the ones I built.I might build another one here in a couple of yrs.Glad that you got the trailer wrapped up sort of.Just be carefull if you test it without a boat on it. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54156

Thanks Skip! By the way, that's an 8" stretched body too. Makes all the difference when you're a big guy!

Nah, no need to screw around with testing the trailer without a boat on it. Once I bleed the brakes, I'll leave the adjustments till I get the boat back on. I need about 100 bucks to buy new plywood and deck carpet, so we'll see how the weather goes, and when I'll have cash for the plywood!

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54555

I did what Skip suggested and elevated the tongue 3' or so, left the cap off the master cylinder, and then easily bled the brakes. Once one side was done, off to the other side, then check back with the first, no bubbles, same with a 2nd check of the other. Simple.

I've adjusted the shoes so they're in as much as possible. When I get the motor back on the boat, and the boat back on the trailer, first thing I'll do is take it to a buddy of mine who owns a garage and get it adjusted for travel.

Got bolts today, specific to the recommendations of the brake assembly manufacturer to replace the ones I had kicking around that I used initially. Getting there!

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54559

Glad to see that you didn't have any problems bleeding the brakes Frank. One word of caution, you might want to bring the shoes back out abit so that you don't push a piston out of a wheel cly when the brakes come on. It has happened before.Kinda messy then,or make sure to disengage the brake leaver before you start towing it. just a thought,have fun, Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54565

Even though I have the shoes adjusted all the way in, they still touch the drum very slightly Skip. But I will disengage it before I haul it to my buddy's garage. I don't need any more problems!

Thanks.

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54569

Frank, I thought I would just give you a heads up thereon your brakes. A friend of mine last summer did his brakes and turned them all the way in and towed it over to my place so I could adjust them for him. He was real surprised when he saw all the fluid draining out in my driveway. Both pistons were out of the clyinders. He had these really tiny wheel cylinders and it turned out reallmessy. If yours are just touching your drums you will be ok. There is one real elcheapo system out there that uses a wheel cly. that is about 1" long and the brakes dont last long. I am glad to see that you finnally got it all together. Post a pic when you get it all done. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54597

Skip, the brake assemblies I bought were the least expensive I could find, so maybe they have these small brake cylinders. It's not something I was thinking about when I went shopping for brakes. I don't doubt I'll get what I paid for. These are the ones I got: www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T4423400.html

I hope to have a video of the install process soon.

Frank

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54612

Frank, those are the same brakes I have used alot when doing trailers for people. They are a good setup and the price is good. For a trailer like yours I wouldn't worry about haveing any problems with them. And you don't have to worry about the wheel cly. pistons poping out. They woun't do that on yours. Looks like your good to go. Skip.

Re:Mounting flex line for trailer brakes? 12 years 3 months ago #54620

Thanks Skip, that's good to hear, especially seeing I was price shopping! I'll keep ya posted.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)