Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help with brake terminology

Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52669

Does #3 mean "Free backing"?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52692

The trailer brakes will not work in reverse as long as you are on level ground and going slow. If you try to back uphill the brakes will come on and then you will be going nowhere. It is best to disingage the lever if you are going to back up as this will save alot of wear and tear on both trailer and tow vehicle. The instuctions will explain all about the best way to set them up. Good luck Skip.

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52696

That makes sense Skip, thanks. My problem is which brake assembly to buy. Can I buy ones that say "Free backing"? Or do I get "Single servo" ones?

Frank

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52704

Let me check that out for you Frank. I do believe you can use either one,I will check mine out.

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52706

Frank, I check the brakes out and you can use either system. The free backing ones are better for boat trailers. They cost abit more. They will not lock up on you when you back up as long as you service them properly and regularly.Both systems are fine, justmake sure you get the ones that match your axile. Do not get heavy duty one for a larger trailer. You will have a boat coming through your rear window the first time you hit the brakes hard.If your axile is around 3500 or 3600 use that size brakes. They must be matched to your axile wieght. I get my parts from Beccacecis Marine and trailer parts. They have always been able to help me out ok. There prices are really good also. good luck, Skip.

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52709

That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks Skip. I have a 3500# axle and that is what I'm getting the brake assemblies for (and a line kit), just need to get past Christmas!

Frank

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #52744

That is great info. I was waiting to see what this post brought. I don't need brakes on any of mine but it is good thing to know.

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #53445

Well, I finally have enough $ to get my brake assemblies, a brake line kit, and the 1st of 3 aluminum wheels with 15" radial tires. Can't wait! Will keep y'all posted as I get this stuff done.

Frank

Coupler mounted 12 years 4 months ago #53512

Got the coupler mounted this a.m., and it was not just a quick bolt-on. It looked like the old trailer tongue (which from the factory had a hydraulic coupler mounted) and new coupler holes matched up, but they were off an 1/8" top-to-bottom. I started by drilling out the first of the four holes, but it made me nervous making holes big enough to pass bolts through, so I did the others with a carbide tip grinder just at the top of the holes, and just enough to get bolts through. Mama went out shopping, and has instructions to get me some grade 5 1/2 X 4" bolts, nuts and lock washers.

Then I was looking at the best way to run new wire. The old tongue was 8' and this original one is 11', so I had to run new wire. I left plenty up front to make it so it reaches the truck plug with no problem. I was thinking of running it through the bottom of the coupler, but then figured I didn't want wires messing up anything with the braking components. I'll just run it from the end of the tongue I guess.

Next I'm going to pull a wheel and make darn sure it's a 4.5" bolt pattern before I go ordering new aluminum wheels. I also need to do some body work on one fender and do some re-wiring on that same fender from when my tire blew out and took out lights on that side.

Happy New Year all. I sure hope 2012 is a better year for boating!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #53524

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' pretty darn good there Frank, nice work. Happy New Year to you, and all our FG friends!

Mark

Re:Need help with brake terminology 12 years 4 months ago #53547

Looks great. I don't know what is going on inside there myself so your running wires the safe way. I'd enclose them with flexible wire conduit. Here is how I did mine but I have no brakes to worry about.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)