TOPIC: Don't do what we did!!

Don't do what we did!! 12 years 9 months ago #39295

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I got the Gator sand blasted Wednesday and primed it Friday with U-Tech E380 epoxy primer. The spec sheet says that you can recoat wet on wet after 15 mins. so we figured to get 3 coats on one side and then flip everything over and get 3 coats on the other side. That all went great. The unthinned primer flowed well and even had a certain amount of gap filling qualities. So far life is good.

Now here's the part you need to pay attention to. The 2 of us completely spaced on the fact that epoxy primer has EPOXY in it and that EPOXY quite often acts like GLUE.

Where we blew it was when we flipped the parts over we sat the parts down on the spray boards that had 3 coats of EPOXY already sprayed on them. What we should have done was flip them on to Clean spray boards so as not to have wet epoxy primed boards coming in contact with wet epoxy primed parts. Pretty much every single part was stuck to some degree or another. It wasn't a complete disaster in that some of the parts pulled the primer off the boards but where the boards pulled the primer off the parts I'm gonna have some stupid-ass touchup to do.

What a pair of idiots...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Don't do what we did!! 12 years 9 months ago #39300

You can blame me if you want. I didn't tell you not to do that. You know it's a learning thing, kinda like the first time you stick your finger in a candle flame to see if it's really hot. I once was shrinking metal on dented quarter panel and I heated it cherry red and used my shrinking hammer and dolly. I then run my hand over it to see how well I did. Damn I knew it was hot but the brain shut down for a few mili-seconds and I got burned. First thing I did was look to see if anybody noticed how stupid I was. Then I made up a story so nobody found out. :woohoo: What I do see is your progressing nicely. :laugh:

Re:Don't do what we did!! 12 years 9 months ago #39305

heck,your not idiots at all,everybody screws up a little sometime,
i do it daily,lol.
the job looks great.
plus for some jobs you can buy pyramids(spelled wrong?)lol.
then use them to hold up your job from your work space,your work sits on the point only,its best for stuff you can use 3 or more on,john,p.s.wood workers use them to finish their work.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Don't do what we did!! 12 years 9 months ago #39312

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Okay Shipster, you get the "Bonehead Award" for the day. LOL We've ALL pulled stunts like that, anybody that tells you different isn't telling the truth, or they're not doing much! That's how we learn, hopefully, from our mistakes. Thanks and kudos to you for sharing, might save somebody else from doing the same thing. +1

Mark

Re:Don't do what we did!! 12 years 9 months ago #39370

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
All is right in the world again. I hope to have red fenders and winch post with white everywhere else in the next week or so. I'm told polyurethane paint is the best choice over epoxy primer. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance. And for your support.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)