Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish

C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31199

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's what I've been working on getting ready for the road trip to Virginia to pick up my next project boat. Not show-worthy by any means, but mechanically sound and sturdy. I plan to load it in pieces into the bed of my pickup for the trip up there, to save gas and wear and tear on the trailer pulling it that far empty. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31219

Looks great Mark! Nice work. Ya gotta love these Holsclaw trailers, they were so well made.

How are you painting stuff? Brush, rattle can, spray gun?

Frank

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31251

• MarkS
Rattle can Rustoleum for now, just to keep the rust in check until I have the time next winter to tear it all back down and do it right. All the hardware on the adjustable bunk brackets were solid rust, so I replaced everything with new zinc coated stuff. Supposed to leave Thursday morning so it's been a push to get her done!

Mark

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31253

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Lookinn good Mark
One less thing to worry about when traveling.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31255

I'll be replacing all the hardware on mine too Mark, probably zinc coated as well. Yours looked like it had been sprayed, nothing wrong with rattle cans!

I tried drilling one of those carriage bolt fasteners that hold the small rollers on this a.m. without much luck. I can drill in the middle, no problem, but can't get the sides. Tried big bits, step bits, you name it. Will go back at it after work. Got 12 of them to remove.

Good luck making your Thursday deadline! Seems to me you're doing great.

Frank

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31360

• MarkS
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. Just got back from a parts run, wanted to pick up a few more things for the trip.

I was going to buy an extra set of wheel bearings and seals, just in case. =$20. Looked right beside them, and the complete hub assembly complete with lug bolts in the hubs and new nuts to go with them, packed and ready to install were $29 each. DUH, I bought two.

I needed a winch strap, (I don't like using poly rope or steel cable), = $12.95. The little spring in my winch is broken, that locks it into gear, but figured I'd suffer with it until I could afford a new winch. Looked beside the straps, new winch WITH strap = $18.95. DUH again, gotta go install. :P

Mark

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31604

• MarkS
Wow, miss a few days on the forums and there's a gazillion posts to catch up on! LOL Just wanted to update you on the trip, all went well and the new project is home. The trailer pulled like a dream, no issues whatsoever.

Mark

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31618

What the heck kind of boat is that Mark? Gee, it looks like it's going fast just sitting on the trailer. Nice job ya did!

Frank

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31677

• MarkS
Thanks Frank. It's a 71 Glastron GT-150. (Posted as "New Project" in the 70's forum.) Don Harris in Virginia Beach has already replaced the transom, I've got to finish up by installing stringers, floor, interior, etc.. (My wife calls it my "mid-life crisis" boat, LOL)

Glad I went with the "upgrade" on the shocks, BTW, she really pulled nicely coming home. The suspension was a little stiff since there was no motor, but you could hardly tell she was back there!

Mark

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31740

Thanks for the info and blow by blow Mark. That is one COOL boat buddy! I'll be back on my Holsclaw soon as my body catches up. :)

Now I can go check out the 70's forum and learn more about that GT-150. Nice haul! Good luck with it.

Frank

Re:C-950 Holsclaw Refurbish 12 years 11 months ago #31746

wow mark,nice trailer and boat,you do great work,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'