Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer

1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124225

I bought a small runabout ('71 MFG Carefree) on an International Erectors & Fabricators trailer a week ago today. The trailer seems to be very well designed and constructed, but in all my years of fooling around with vintage boats, I have never heard of this brand trailer, and have had no luck "googling" it. Anyone have one, or ever heard of them?

As of this morning, it is in pieces to be prepped for paint, painted and put back under my boat. I have new hubs and wheels/tires coming for it, so everything should come together soon.

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124263

Everything is now in my air conditioned shop.
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124264

I had time this morning to sand the 1st piece of the restoration - one side of the winch post, both inside and out. Here's how it compared to its mate.
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124268

Having already ordered new hubs, wheels and tires, I finished up this morning with all new rollers coming from etrailer. I have an inventory of hardware, but don't really need it until I get everything painted and ready for re-assembly.

Frank

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124293

Blew the winch apart after work, cleaned and sanded. Wanted to prime, but no self etching primer around the shop, so put to the side and finished all the winch post stuff. Got a yellow strap coming to install.

Doing everything by hand on the small stuff, will move to power when I get to the bigger stuff. Want this trailer done.

Apparently no one else has one, or has ever heard of this company? Very well built trailer, just ignored for 46 years.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124318

nice job you are doing there !
Have you ever considered the electrolysis method for removing the rust ? That method will help in tight spots.

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124355

Never heard of it but it does look well made. I can't wait to see the results. What kind of paint are you putting on. Any idea what the original color was? :unsure:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124367

robert-lorigan wrote:

Never heard of it but it does look well made. I can't wait to see the results. What kind of paint are you putting on. Any idea what the original color was? :unsure:

Just washed all my sanded parts. A few things I did with spray can rustoleum self etching primer already - winch parts cause they're so darn small, and the fenders, which are galvanized. The rest will be done in rustoleum rusty metal primer, then coated with rustoleum oil based paint. It will be a mix of yellow, white and some black (axle and springs). Not spray painting yet, as my new dual stage 80 gallon compressor needs stuff for painting (like a pressure regulator and desiccant set-up) I can't afford just yet. So trusty brush will be used. I'm not looking for a trophy paint job here - just something that sorta matches the boat, and will last a while.

Here's a pic of clean parts. Nice sunny day, will have one side and more done soon.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124369

Nice color. I went with Rustoleum Gray for my Tee Nee because I'm not partial to yellow.

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124371

The deck of this "new" boat we got is yellow. Basically, the wife wanted the boat, and is dictating trailer color.

Got everything in primer this morning, at least three sides. Will let dry, then hopefully flip later today and do the other side. Color will have to wait a while, as I have obligations Monday and Tuesday nights, then Wednesday morning are off camping, home a week from tomorrow. If nothing else, the primer with be good and dry!

Two posts here, too lazy to go to photobucket...
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124372

Fiddly parts!
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124383

All those rusty trailer parts are now completely coated in rustoleum rusty metal primer. Getting there!

Frank

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124393

I sent an email to the local paper in Malden Mass asking for any info on the company. We'll see if I hear back.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124422

Future colors.

The winch will be black with a yellow strap, and the fenders will be white with black tread stuff on top.

Black

White

Yellow

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124441

So far, no response from the local paper about info regarding this trailer manufacturer. I also emailed a local metal fab shop, nothing there either. Oh well.

Got the first coat on black and white stuff today. For the black, one coat would probably do it, but I'll do two. For the white, two at least probably three, maybe 4.

Did not have time before work to do the yellow on the main frame, just would take too long. I have a long day at work today, but maybe I can do the yellow tonight before I hit the sack. Leaving town in the a.m., won't be back till Monday evening. Youngest son is getting married!

This picture isn't great. Reflection off the hanging black pieces, white stuff that looks yellow, but it's the best I can do. More to come.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124480

Second coat of white (except tongue - turned over and did the bottom). White stuff is gonna need at least 3 coats. Second coat of black (except springs - turned over and did bottom). Maybe 3 coats for black, but 2 may do it. Started on yellow before the wife caught me painting in the shop. We're hustling to get out by 10 over to Three Valley Campground south of Buffalo with our RV for my youngest son's wedding, so had to quit mid-brush. Easy to see the yellow is gonna need at least 3 coats too.

I'm doing all this with brush on rustoleum. 24 hour dry time vs much shorter dry time with rattle can, but lasts much longer. Got a quart of each color, so am not gonna run out of paint.

Gotta run. More to come next week!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 9 months ago #124568

It's going to look like a new one.

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #124784

Frame is all in yellow now. Most white parts got 3rd coat. Tongue is one coat complete. Still need to do another coat of black on springs.

We delayed some UPS shipments till we got back from the wedding. I'm a bit anxious about them, as they're the hubs, wheels/tires and a few other things I need. I thought they might appear today, but nope.

More later.
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #124895

Two coats make a heck of a difference. Can you see it between this post and the last one?
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125014

4th coat is lighter, mixed some white in with the yellow. Should have it back together next weekend and where it belongs!

Frank

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125211

Assembly begins! More later...
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125239

Getting closer
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125243

Wow that looks great !
Nice job !

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125318

Trailer is done, all lights work and is back under the boat.
Attachments:

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125326

Why is the tongue of the trailer soooooo long?

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125345

73Crestliner wrote:

Why is the tongue of the trailer soooooo long?

You'd have to ask the manufacturer, as I believe this tongue was stock. It is a extremely well built trailer and hauls the MFG very well. In general, longer trailers are also easier to back up.

Frank

Re:1970 International Erectors & Fabricators trailer 7 years 8 months ago #125350

I'm thinking that the trailer was originally for a much longer boat - then the bow-stop was moved back for a smaller boat. I do agree it is easier to back up... B)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)