Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports?

Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #117

Any opinions on rollers vs. wooden supports? I've heard that the wooden supports often causes 'warts' in the gelcoat.. Any input is welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

Re: Rollers vs. carpet wooden supposrts? 14 years 2 months ago #119

I like long wooden supports with outdoor carpeting over rollers. They have much greater area of contact for support than rollers. I suppose you could move them in and out every couple of years if your boat starts to warp! BTW, I have some nice rollers I'll post in Glassifieds.

Hello, World!!

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supposrts? 14 years 2 months ago #125

Roller trailers are by far, one of the worst ways to support a vintage fiberglass boat. (Center rollers for the keel are fine)

Our old boats were not built to withstand the pressures rollers impose on such a small surface area. The fiberglass is too thin & will distort. Perhaps not immediately, but in time, they will dent the boat. This concern is even more of a problem with old unrestored boats that may have comprimised stringers & cores, making hem even more prone to denting & flexing. Use a bunk trailer with the longest spans that will support the hull. I know that someone will argue against bunks, but for me, the proof is in the fact that every vintage boat I've ever found on a roller trailer has hooks and depressed areas directly above the rollers.

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supposrts? 14 years 2 months ago #127

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Speedemon636 wrote:

I've heard that the wooden supports often causes 'warts' in the gelcoat.. Any input is welcome!

They are blisters and most often come from keeping a boat in the water for a long time.

As for the question. Rollers are nice if kept new and properly adjusted. I personally like bunks. If set right, they rest along the stringers and my opinion is they give more support :kiss: to the hull in the long term.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #142

Thanks for the quick input! Looks like most are leaning toward the wooden supports.. But does having a roller at the very end make it any easier getting the boat on the trailer? Or does it not make a difference?

You all will have to forgive my lack of knowledge..just getting into boats :P

“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #169

You could have a roller mounted in the middle of the rear of the trailer, but the boat should not be resting on it when it's fully on and secure for towing or storage. Rollers are how boats develop hooks in the hull, a very bad thing!

I'm lucky having an old Power Cat trimaran with three flat hulls. My trailer is simply decked with 3/4" plywood and carpeted!

Good luck.

Frank

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #172

Speedemon636 wrote:

Thanks for the quick input! Looks like most are leaning toward the wooden supports.. But does having a roller at the very end make it any easier getting the boat on the trailer? Or does it not make a difference?

You all will have to forgive my lack of knowledge..just getting into boats :P

The roller at the rear helps when loading because the bow of the boat usually touches that roller before the bottom ever touches the bumks. A set of small rollers done the center to help support the keel are great because not only do they help support the boat, but they also make it easier when winching the boat onto the trailer. Bunks are best in my opinion.
BTW, nice looking cruiser!
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #231

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I know what to look for on a trailer now. I'm going to be needing a trailer pretty soon because my mini trailer just doesn't work for my Cruisette :P

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #240

Frank! I have just acquired a 1968 Power Cat 23T and will be adjusting the trailer this spring with bunks . Do you by chance have a photo to post of your trailer setup? Thanks - Rich

3HULLS

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #242

Top of the morning to ya Rich!

My bunks are a couple pieces of 3/4" pressure treated plywood covered with a quality outdoor carpet. You can see the construction of the trailer here, about 1/2 way down the page or so:

www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

Did your 23T come with a trailer? If so, you're in good shape. I built mine from pieces of three boat trailers! Getting the right axle width can be a problem, given the width of these boats.

This deck idea came from other Power Cat guys who say it's the best way to go (like Dick Davis). The boat is anchored at two points in the back and one point in front. The point in front is back under the hull, so as the boat is winched on to the trailer, I have a chain that hooks to that eye such that the bow peak never touches the winch. It is a very solid way of securing the boat. Again, the idea for this three point hold down came from Dick Davis.

Hey, I have a 23T too! Just the Ford kind....

Good luck with the Power Cat Rich. Any questions, just hollar!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #261

I will vouch for the damage that can be done to a glassic hull when stored on a roller trailer. I have a 58 Skagit 20, and the trailer was a roller design. When I got under and looked down the hull, there are definite dents in the hull where the rollers sat under it. I had to block the hull up front and rear to get the pressure off the center of the hull.
I then let it sit out in 100 degrees with 300 pounds of cinder block strategically placed over those spots inside the hull, and let the sun work her magic. They did flatten out 90% so far, and I still have it supported off of those rollers until i can cut them off and put bunks under it.
It is always best to have the support bunks run past your transom a few inches in the rear as well, to offer good stern support. Also try to locate the bunks so they pass under hull supports or bulkheads.

Mike Russon

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #267

B) Just took a good look at the support system on my newly acquired 23ft by 8ft wide Power Cat trailer that came with this boat. It is a full rubber roller system on all three high points of the cat hull. There are three rows of five rollers, 15 total. After checking closely for any deformed areas at the rollers I can not find any. I understand that these boats were well built with strong hulls. Just wanted to add my 2 cents to maybe help with your info. I still plan adding a combination carpet guide/bunk rail into the two high areas of the cat hull. This hull has a hull on right and one on left and a smaller in the center. My understanding is the factory wanted to be able to use this hull with either two engines or one and the center hull filled the bill. Happy Motoring!!!! Rich

3HULLS

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #269

Boy Rich, I am NOT a fan of rollers. I've had a bunch of boats and the only ones I've had problems with were on roller trailers. Good luck with it!

Frank

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #270

Frank - Your 23T looks a lot different then mine and in a lot better shape. Looks Great! I see we have similar interests. Here is my '29P (Plymouth) It is all original and in the middle of install of engine overhaul, upholstery and paint. Spring is going to be very busy.
Attachments:

3HULLS

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #275

Wow Rich, slick! I once had a '33 Business Coupe. I have a '74 Dart, 4dr, /6 that will be the next project once the boat is done.

I love old vehicles of any kind, hot rods, restored, original, whatever. I'm president this year of the Capital District Cruisers ( www.capitaldistrictcruisers.com/ ) here near Albany NY. We put on BIG (800+ vehicles) cruise-ins 2nd Mondays in June, July, August and September at one of the biggest rollarenas in the country (Guptils in Latham).

That old Plymouth of yours is gonna be one sharp looking grocery getter!

Frank

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #327

I have a roller trailer (center rollers support my runabout). It is easy to retrieve once I line up the rollers. I am getting a new bunk trailer soon. Will it be difficult to position a vintage fiberglass runabout on these when retrieving the boat?

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #331

Are you buying the bunk trailer from a dealer? If so, have them set it up for your boat. If not, they're not too difficult to do.

Frank

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #332

It will be set up by a dealer; so you say that it should be easy to retrieve my boat. Thanks for the reply. :)

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #333

Yeah. Best way to do them is experimentation in my book, but maybe you can hang that on the dealer! Can't beat correctly positioned bunks in my opinion. Good luck with it.

Frank

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #548

What are thoughts on easy load trailers with the pivoting rollers? Same problems?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #583

That's one of my all-time pet peeves...boats with huge hooks in the bottom caused by improperly adjusted trailer supports. Some boat owners also say that storing a boat with the outboard motor on it contributes to a hook forming. I personally haven't seen that effect. I too like rollers on the keel including one at the very stern under the transom, plus generous sized bunks every place else. When I last bought a trailer, I welded an additional keel roller on the trailer frame to support the boat closer to the bow, and added two additional bunks near the bow. Some trailers come with an adequate array of supports, but don't hesitate to add your own. There are some more expensive trailers that come with lots of "gang" roller supports; four or more wide rollers on a pivoting support. They may provide fairly good support . I also believe that hull damage is commonly caused by careless launching and retrieving techniques. If the launch ramp permits, I like to submerge my trailer wheels in the water. More trailer maintenance, perhaps, but no boat damage. I also believe in removing heavy gas tanks , anchors, etc, from the boat before a launch or retrieval. Another pet peeve is the dreaded short launch ramp, with the "Grand Canyon" dropoff at the end. Boat ramps don't seem to be designed by boaters.

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #690

Al late reply here, however years a go while I was in High school. we had a boat that had the best of both worlds

The motor sat on bunks, however when once at the ramp there was a leaver you pulled forward and dropped in a slot. This leaver were attached to rollers set on a cam by flat bar that raised the boat.

There were three rollers on the keel; 2 adjustable the real was fixed
The boat would rock back and forth a bit from one side to the other...Should made launching and recovery a lot easier. for once a bolt broke going from the first roller to the leaver.

After recovery one would pull the leaver out of the slot and lower the boat back onto the bunks

It only went up about 3 inches, however that was enough to work

Allan

CAVU

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #730

Sometime in the spring I have to pull the CC off the trailer and I will post some pics. It was customized for the boat back in 64 and is an interesting mix of bunks and rollers

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 2 months ago #810

Will be watching for the set up of bunks and rollers on your trailer. Come on warm weather! Thanks - Rich

3HULLS

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 1 month ago #1463

Another question for you guys. The new bunk trailer I am checking out has an option for quick-glide bunk covers upgrade. I don't know the price yet. Are they worth the upgrade?

Are there any advantages using these to retrieve a vintage fiberglass runabout? My only experience is with roller trailers.

Re:Rollers vs. carpet wooden supports? 14 years 1 month ago #1465

Quick glide bunk covers are the deal. Worth it. Like Teflon!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5592 guests and 4 members online