Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude Trailer Question

Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113703

Has anyone ever added shocks to their Evinrude/Johnson trailers? The reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to go back down to Texas next month and bring the boat back to Idaho.

Before we left Texas, we took the boat over to our friends' house to store it. On the way there, I noticed that the torsion axles were not at their original 22.5° ride height, more like 10°, if that. I have maybe 1.5" of room between the tire and fender now, maybe less.

Option #1 is to install the Monroe shock mount kit for torsion axles, which I'm hoping will prevent my tires from rubbing on the fenders, when we hit a bump. I have maybe 1.5" of room between the tire and fender now, maybe less.

Option #2 is to mount a 2"x2" piece of square tubing between the frame and fender mount, to lift the fender and give me more clearance.

Option #3 is to remove the fender completely for the trip home.

What say you all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113705

Could you just mount new torsion axles instead.

Re:Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113710

farmerboy wrote:

Could you just mount new torsion axles instead.

At this point, that's not feasible. I have a limited amount of time to go down to Texas and get back to Idaho.

Added to this, the torsion axle tube actually goes through the trailer's i-beam frame and is welded.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113711

The Monroe shock kit you mentioned does not have auxillary springs on them
so they will have no effect on ride height. Shocks don't limit travel, they limit the rate of travel.
You can remove the fenders, which is not legal in some states, or use a spacer.
I am curious as to why the ride height changed so quickly. I assume they are rubber torsion axles and the rubber is failing. It might get even worse as you trailer it home and even the spacers might be not be enough to prevent tire damage.
Without seeing the setup I would be a little hesitant to even try the trip because of the possibility of having the axle pull out of the torsion end.
An off the wall solution is that you may be able to chain or strap the torsion bar to the trailer frame in a way that will give solid suspension.
A little hard on the boat, but constant attention to the road conditions ahead would help that.

Don

Re:Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113715

I am inclined to agree, without pictures of the setup it's very hard to see what went wrong...could be a bushing came loose...or could be a major problem that would get worse...going that far you will most likely find some construction that would gravel damage the heck out of the hull without the fenders on...I think I would consider borrowing a trailer to take down and getting your trailer at a later date...john

Re:Evinrude Trailer Question 8 years 8 months ago #113730

I wish I could get you guys better pics, but I've looked through my library and can't find any that would be worth a damn.

The max speed I can travel with that trailer is 55MPH...tire size dictates speed...so I think I'll go the spacer route and take it easy.

I could be completely wrong about the axle drop, it just seems like the fender is really damn close to the tire.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online