• Page:

TOPIC: Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question

Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question 8 years 9 months ago #111536

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm looking at a boat that is about 700 miles from me and trying to buy it site unseen. The transport fees are pretty high, so I'm trying to figure out what it would take to make the boat tow-able.

The trailer has 690/600-12 tires on it which I think are no longer made based upon my search.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative size that can be put on there?

Can I just get a complete 12" wheel set from a store like West Marine and put those on there or will the trailer bottom out?

Any insight would be great.

Sincerely,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question 8 years 9 months ago #111539

• MarkS
You sure can David, just make sure you get the right lug (4 or 5). All the Holsclaw trailers I've ever fooled with were 4 lug, 12". Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, WalMart type stores will have much better prices, but you have to use whatever is close I guess.

Don't forget to check and grease the wheel bearings, and check your lights out before taking off! ;)

Mark

Re:Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question 8 years 9 months ago #111544

Marks advice is right on.
Bearings are very important to check. If you plan to go 700 miles I would pop the dust caps and look at the color of the grease. If it's creamy not good. While you have it up give the tire a spin if it growls or you can hear any ruff noise replace or at the least repack the bearings.
A set of magnetic lights is a very easy and fast way to have good and safe lights to get home. They are around thirty bucks at the big book stores.

Re:Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question 8 years 5 months ago #117241

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Follow-upon this question. So the boat is being flatbedded and I didn't have to have it towed. I will receive it next week.

The original tires 690/600-12 seem to be 24" diameter. The 5.30-12 is the closest in size which makes it just over 21" in diameter.

These tires are BIAS 6 ply. I'm looking at Kenda's.

Here is the question.

It won't be stock nor will the wheels look stock, but if I bought 13" 4 on 4 wheels and got ST175/80/r13, then I am at 24.1 in diameter. I also increase my options to be radial or bias.

What would your recommendations be?
1. Stick with original wheels and get the 5.30-12?
2. Upgrade wheels (thus losing originality) and go to 13"?
A. Bias?
B. Radial?

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,
David

Re:Holsclaw Trailer Tires Question 8 years 5 months ago #117277

• MarkS
Keeping the originals is up to you, how important is "originality" in your grand scheme of things? If you do decide to keep them on the trailer, inspect them carefully for damage and corrosion. Sometimes they don't look too bad until you dismount the tires, then you find massive rust. If you do decide to replace them, keep the original rims in storage in case they are desired down the road.

I've got the 13" radial tires on my fishing boat trailer, and i love them! You can run down the interstate at 70mph and not worry about a thing, can hardly tell the boat is back there.

Just my two cents......

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6117 guests and 3 members online