Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Chrysler Conqueror.

1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4728

I'm finishing up some more mods to the boat, more of a restify than restoration, but having fun with it too......... I'll start with a picture of when I brought it home.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4729

Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4730

First major project was redoing the floor around the ski pylon. I knew about the damage and was the reason for the previous owner's selling. (I paid $600.00 for it) The Chrylser 105 ran perfectly and the rest of the boat was in great shape, especially the seats.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4731

The floor had rotted out, and with three tubes on the pylon ripped out and broke the fiberglass in the engine well.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4732

I reinforced the pylon area and cut new plywood and fiberglassed the entire floor.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4733

I refiberglassed the underside of the engine well. Then ground out all the cracks and fiberglassed the top, sanded, sanded some more then painted. Matching the paint was tough, it has a touch of beige in it!
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4735

After the first test out on the water, I came back with a good 5 gallons of water in the transom after only an hour on the water. After pulling off the transom covers, I quickly found the problem and had the motor pulled that same night to survey the transom integrity..........
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4736

It wasn't horrible but not the best either. I started to do some research online for transom repair and found the SeaCast website. What a lifesaver. AND I got to use a chainsaw!!!!
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4737

Old plywood removed, ready for some drying time. I bought two
hairdryers at goodwill and some vacuum tubes and let them run on low heat for two days. Nice and dry - a little overkill, I had all the moist wood out but didn't want to take any chances.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4741

My dad gave me a hand with the mix and pour of the SeaCast. The stuff worked exactly as I hoped! I didn't have any leftover and it dried/cured extremely hard - there's a full five gallons of reinforced epoxy/fiberglass in the transom, about an inch and a half over 50 inches wide and all the way to the drain plug.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4742

My brother and I made up a nice aluminum transom plate, which really wasn't needed but I wanted to make sure I'd have no transom issues in the future. I painted and secured it with all stainless hardware of course!
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4744

Finished and mounted. If I could have remembered to put the steering rod through the mount before I dropped the motor on the transom, it would have gone perfectly! (I did it again the other day, I'll never learn)
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4745

I also was working on the back seat modification. The access to the back area was horrible having to lift the seat back and bottom all as one piece. I restretched the vinyl and split the seat so you only have to lift the back. It works awesome and you don't have to kick everyone out the boat to lift the seat.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4746

I customized the ladder a bit so the legs would hit the boat at the edge of the hull.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4747

Did a lot of skiing last summer with it. Only one issue arose with it. The shifting started to get slower when engaging it. Through a great find online it was an easy fix. The washer around the shifting linkage was completely degraded and binding. Four bucks later and an hour of work - fixed!!!
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4748

Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4749

For 2010 I wanted to get the power trim from a spare motor I purchased for 60 bucks on and hooked up. It worked when I bought it but after sitting for winter, suddenly it was a no go. After further inspection, the inside of the motor cap was completely corroded and was jamming the motor. I got it cleaned out and working but found cracks in the pump housing as well. I did a quick Craiglist search and found a 1978 Chrysler Charger Deluxe 115hp motor for 250 bucks. Supposedly ran, and had working power trim. I was there the next day and bought it for 200 and crossed my fingers. After I got it home, I set it on the boat. The power trim worked perfectly and the motor fired up and ran great. I did notice that it would not shift!!!! Luckily I knew the fix already and had a spare bushing. After another test run in a tub of water everything seems to work great! Compression was at spec of 125psi, seems low but spec says 120-135, and they were all the same. Should be a fine motor, gives me power trim, ten more horses, and came with a 21 pitch prop. Looking forward to seeing it hit 50mph. I was getting 43 with a 17 pitch and 105 horses. We'll see sometime this week.........
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4750

I couldn't stand the blue on the motor and had to get going on repainting the motor and cover (plus the extra one from the spare motor I bought). I kept the 105 cover and motor together and have that stored if I ever want to go back to the original.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4751

Covers.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4752

I made up some new designs for the covers that I had and wanted one that would stay true to the Charger design, but drop the blue. I made them up using CorelDraw and exported them for my sign buddy to cut out of vinyl. Here's the Charger cover. I just finished hand painting the 115 in red, and the Chrysler in white.........
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4753

My son had an awesome idea of using a checkered flag for the "racing cover". I worked that into the design. Some chrome pipes will be added also once I get the second one cut correctly. I dented the second one last night so that will be another night.

Update. I got the pipes done. This time I used my new cutting wheel setup to cut them instead of the sawzall - right tools make all the difference. I used a sanding wheel then to square them up and match the tip openings. I used bondo to fill the hole then set a 1/4" bolt inside. They hardened up nicely. I drilled a slightly oversized hole in the cover so I could adjust them perfectly.
My idea for the pipes...........

Installed!

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4756

I replaced the steering cable and the steering hub. Boy what a difference. Should make the skiing more enjoyable this year. Found a used one the exact length I needed off ebay for about 90 bucks. I also won an auction for a NOS power trim handle conversion kit. I got it Saturday, but was quickly disappointed. It had everything I needed switch and all but had a standard handle!!!! Called the guy and the correct one is on the way. Another thing for another night! That should be the last thing I'll put on before I test the new motor.

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4757

Comments welcome, any info on these boats or ones similar would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4758

Cover pics.

Opposite side.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4759

Cover Pics.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4760

Vintage Cover.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4763

If you look closely in the hinged seat picture, there's no gas tanks or battery in the back. The battery is relocated all the way to the bow of the boat and a new 18 gallon tank mounted under there as well, fill tube on the top deck. It makes the boat plane off much faster and pull skiers out of the water quicker as well. Plus, no switching tanks and a larger capacity than the two 5 gallons tanks.

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4766

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very impressive, you do nice work. (Sounds like you've got a good support crew (ie:family) helping, that always helps.) I'd like to see some pics of the interior and the fuel tank/battery relocation if you get a chance. Be sure to keep us posted on your test run and shake down cruise, okay!?

(I'm from eastern IA originally, had to "google" Polaski though. Man, you are way up there above Green Bay!?) Welcome to FG, and thanks for posting your project.

Mark

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4780

Beautiful, beautiful boat. I've been hoping to find one close to home, affordable for myself. You've done a wonderful job. :)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4783

Thanks so much! I added another thing to the list of things I'd like to do and maybe I'll get some tank & battery pics when I do that - fuel gauge. The tank had the float in it and I put a new gasket on it when I cleaned out the tank. It's also wired for a tach which I should get on there too. Once I get it pulled out of the garage I'll put the seats in and take some shots..............

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4784

I've found a few lately on craigslist. Missed one for 400 bucks in Milwaukee but latest one is for 800 in Indianapolis - comes with two motors, trailer and the boat looks in good shape minus the interior. indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1686887014.html

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4787

Conquerer115 wrote:

I've found a few lately on craigslist. Missed one for 400 bucks in Milwaukee but latest one is for 800 in Indianapolis - comes with two motors, trailer and the boat looks in good shape minus the interior. indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1686887014.html

That would be a good deal there. Too bad I'm in Louisiana and gas is $3 a gallon! :angry:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4826

Got the cover finished. Now just waiting on the correct throttle handle. I have a temp switch hooked up. Might have it out before that comes in, maybe Wednesday..........

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #4881

I love that boat! Your work is very nice. I owned a chrysler 115 that sat on the back of a 1966 arrowglass boat. That little arrowglass would FLY! I should have kept the chrysler 115.

Mike Russon

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5014

Took it out for the first time yesterday. I took it to a small no-wake lake for a short run. Good thing I did, the new steering cable and hub I got needed to be installed upside down compared with my old one. Old one was a morse, new is teleflex??? Easy fix and it wasn't running the greatest. Then took for a spin on the Fox River where I could open it up and get the cobwebs out. It was pretty choppy but ran great once out there for awhile. Hit 45mph easily! So we'll see what it will do on Friday in better weather.........

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5038

That is great good to hear by the way beautiful boat and very clean work

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5051

Got the correct throttle handle today! They even gave me a whole other switch and cord. It gave me a great idea - splice into it and put my temporary switch right on the motor to make it easier to put the transom saver on. Works great. Another test run tomorrow and I can call it good - hopefully a hassle free summer like last year..........

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5052

I checked out your pics. Boats look nice, tinted windshields?? Great colors too. Did my 1968 Duo(also listed here) in red and white, got lots of compliments - bet yours does too!

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5536

Conquerer115 wrote:

My dad gave me a hand with the mix and pour of the SeaCast. The stuff worked exactly as I hoped! I didn't have any leftover and it dried/cured extremely hard - there's a full five gallons of reinforced epoxy/fiberglass in the transom, about an inch and a half over 50 inches wide and all the way to the drain plug.

I just wanted to chime in here about poured transoms. I did a poured transom on my 1958 Skagit 20 Express. Talk about bullet proof! The thing is incredibly strong, in fact I am sure it is superior to the wood from the factory. Nice boat by the way!!

Mike Russon

Re:1978 Chrysler Conqueror. 13 years 11 months ago #5828

Well, the test run was not a positive experience. Was missing pretty badly at 1/4 throttle and beyond. Was thinking carbs or something. Finally got back at it today after doing a lot of reading on timing and carb stuff. Lots of reading!!! before messing something up. I started with the timing before getting into anything else. I had the 105 to compare it with as well, the linkage just wasn't lining up. I finally did the static timing procedure in the Clymer manual I have. Seems I need 30 degrees btdc (32 in the manual but with todays gas, 30 was recommended) and mine was reading off the decal to about 42. I had to pull the belt off and rotate the sprocket, plus adjust the screw with the locking nut on it. Took it for a quick spin in the no wake lake and it seems to be much smoother and no miss. Will take it out this week for a full run! Update, took out for another run and went very smooth, weather didn't cooperate again with the wind and all but is running more like it should at full throttle. Can't wait for some smooth water - working on the tach now and gas gauge!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6238 guests and 2 members online