Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 Lancer Outboard

1971 Lancer Outboard 2 months 2 weeks ago #147351

Second try to start this thread.
Life handed to me a boat that my Dad had but that I never really knew about because I lived far away for some years. During this time, he had this CC lancer outboard and wound up selling it to a friend of mine in about 2006. I still lived away and the friend used this oat with his family a few years then it got winterized and sat since 2011. fast forward to now, my friend basically needed to boat moved and asked if I wanted it back so I said yes.

And like a big dummy decided to restore it :-)

I have the tools and technology so that part isn't a huge deal but it will be the many many hours work because I want to and not because I need to.

It is #26 of 60 of these outboards made. It was made in Cortland NY at the Thompson Boat Company in Cortland NY and by coincidence, my name is Thompson. it originally had an Evinrude 115 but that is gone and in it's place is a 90's Johnson commercial 100. It is too long a shaft for the transom so it can explain the handling characteristics my friend described.

The rest of it is decent, all the electrics worked before I tore it apart. The original gas tank is almost perfect and zero rust colored anything came out of it. Just some gray zinc from the galvanizing.

The deck was shot and the partial repair from 2006 served well enough but it all had to go. The stem board was soaked!
the flotation foam was all soaked and inside the stringers was/is foam filled. I haven't got all that out yet from the stringers but took an easy 300 pounds of wet foam out of there already. The combined weight of the wet wood and foam was hundreds of pounds, maybe half the cargo capacity worth.

I still am doing demo on things but that is nearing the end , I will grind the whole thing out, fix any bubbles etc and lay in some new glass and use a lightweight material for decking. It should scoot along pretty well when I am done with the weight savings.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1971 Lancer Outboard 2 months 2 weeks ago #147352

I found this pic of what it looked like all red.

Picture

Those gray seats are not so good looking. The originals were on 8" bases.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Mercury 1500XS Inline 6
( / Engines)

Mercury 1500XS Inline 6
01-08-2023

1959 Arkansas Traveler
( / Boats)