Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gilbert Mantle clock

Gilbert Mantle clock 10 years 3 months ago #88490

Does anyone have one just lying around. I need some parts or even a whole movement if I can find one. I don't have much money to work with. It's really just another project for keeping me busy in winter. Just check out the dirt and dust. The main spring is broken but I think the strike spring is OK since it it trying it damnedest to strike as it sits on my desk as you see it here. Movement is marked 1909. It's missing the pendulum assembly, hands, glass, one rear foot but I can do without that. Maybe a parts movement or use this one for parts. I never rebuilt a clock before. If nothing else I will get a cheap quartz Seiko movement and mount inside after the case is done. First pic is an internet pic of what it should look like. www.klockit.com/depts/QuartzChimingClockMovements/dept-158.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Gilbert Mantle clock 10 years 3 months ago #88495

that was one of my dads hobbies....he would find them at the dump back in the 60's when people took out their own trash...he'd find 2 or 3 and make 1 that worked perfect...the main spring and stricker spring will swap on a seth Thomas...probly yours also....the pendulum assy will be a problem as it is a flat spring and needs to be about right...I remember dad working for hours trying to make one...parts do show up on ebay...I sold a lot of them there 8-10 years ago...good luck...john

Re: Gilbert Mantle clock 10 years 3 months ago #88528

I took that movement and it is now soaking in a very hot bath of Dawn dish detergent and water. The crud is coming off in sizeable chunks.

Re: Gilbert Mantle clock 10 years 3 months ago #88533

I can't believe the difference. This thing is still dirty but the springs are not stuck or broken. They just were stuck together. I think sometime in the past someone sprayed an oil all over it. With pendulum parts and a good cleaning and oil it will work.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)