Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wish my motor replacement was for a boat

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 5 months ago #134473

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Getting a rebuilt crate motor tomorrow... wish it was for a boat...but since it is for my Jeep... the boat restoration takes a back seat once again. If it just could have waited 6 more months. Oh well, just life...so the boat is now hung from the ceiling to get more space. Won’t see much progress there. Need the Jeep for winter, so maybe work on outboard instead of fiberglass this winter. Both need done anyway. What other 1001 things delayed your boat restoration?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 5 months ago #134521

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Been there, done that. What motor didja have in there Mark? My old '98 XJ had the 4.0 and I had 346,000 before I rolled it north of Milwaukee. My Liberty has the 3.7 seems to have more snot but not the torque. Either way I hope you labeled all the wires :-)
Your work space looks just like mine except I don't have a cool motor lift, I have to use a chainfall suspended from a skyhook.
Great opportunity to get those injectors cleaned, new seals around the oil filter mount and those nasty transmission cooling lines that are notorious for rusting out.

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 5 months ago #134534

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Agree, Cal. Looked at most auto parts stores in town and all only had 1and all had to order, but did not have 2... I do need the tranny oil to return from radiator lol. Should have known better... went to local Mopar dealer and they have BOTH in stock. A bit pricy, but worth the insurance since I can reach them better now with an empty motor bay. Decided to put new stuff on motor rather than transferring 17 year old stuff. New motor mounts too ... just want this tow vehicle to drag my old boats around to events and weekends without issue. Work and weather slowing progress a bit. I have found this a good time to visit Craigslist and e-bay to pick up rigging every other week or so while pulled off the boat. Stocking up on boating parts counts as restoration progress, right? Just received a factory mid 70’s motor steering bracket today! At least the parts are coming together. Last week got the throttles that are hard to find because they work backwards on gear shift. BTW - sure love that wood on the Rocket!

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 5 months ago #134537

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Before you order anything for your project...yes that does count, check with me, I might have some hardware, steering, hull stuff etc. All you need is pay shipping. I do have that vintage, early 50's Morse shifter that might work on the Wilson.
Attachments:

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 5 months ago #134550

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
In this case, I had my motor I bought in high school in '78 that used the single lever shift/throttle with the shifter mechanism that works backwards from the bigger motors, so I was stuck getting an OEM match. Your throttle is way cool and if I had the coordination to operate it (and a bit older motor, I might have considered it. I think I need to plan on rummaging through your hardware rummage sale as you just may have lots of little goodies. With all the effort going into the jeep, the only way I can make "progress" on the Wilson is to buy everything I need while I cannot actually do labor on it. Wonder how far I could have gotten on the Wilson if I could use the same number of hours on the boat...someday, it will be back up to priority project number 1.

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134610

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The old Jeep GC tow vehicle should be done and ready for winter towing... if I messed anything up, hopefully that will be squared away before boat towing season again. a big thanks to Jasper Motors of Jasper Indiana. Had the motor in less than a week. It’s all bolted and torqued in place. Now just the details details details. Got to get it done so that I can get on my boat restoration. I just got my Outboard motor throttle that needs some TLC. I keep shopping for boat and motor parts while I wait for time to get back to the boat restoration.

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134613

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sweet.
Nice and clean makes it easier to work on. You'll have it finished by the end of the week. Get it ready for the snow.

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134751

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Jeep is finished and running with the new motor and not a moment too soon. It will have about 450 miles on it when I hook up another Glassic to pull home about 100 miles. Wish it had more miles before towing, but the snow is already flying here and I need to get that boat home.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134752

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
And that new acquisition is what? Where??

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134759

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Details later so the suspense builds. About 2 hours south from me and they are predicting snow. Guess I will pretend I am towing a snowmobile trailer lol.

Dr.Go!

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134762

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, somewhere in the Madison area. If you really want to make an online guessing game for a few weeks just take a picture of your find in the rear view mirror of the Jeep, sorta a peek and let us guess...:whistle:

Wish my motor replacement was for a boat 6 years 4 months ago #134769

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Correct. Hints- blue...16 foot... mid to late 60’s and needs restoration. Hope I can do a nice job on this one with my Son so that his family will have a Glassic boat that a family of 4 can afford...and so I can pass along the affliction lol.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat