Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back at work on our Carefree!

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139801

I should have said finally! It's been years since my wife spotted this boat and wanted it. I blew the trailer apart back then and completely rebuilt it with all new stuff and paint. Well, I guess this is the year we start getting this baby ready for the water. We have an inline 4 - 40 hp Merc long shaft for this short shaft boat that once had a J/E on it, so have some work to do there. Motor needs major work which Paradise Boat Works (Tim Calmes) will handle. Needs all new wiring, bow and stern lights, seats, etc. which I will do.

Pics soon.

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139824

My wife was concerned about whether this boat would float, so my great idea was to fill it will water and see if it leaked. No leaks, so all good right? Nope. In the back where I want to glass a plywood base in for the battery, the floor did not dry out. It's delaminated. I'm exploring ways to fix it before I do anything else. It's probably why we got the boat at such a bargain price!

So it wasn't a bad idea at all to fill it with water. It's just not the problem I expected. Any suggestions?

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139828

Hey Frank, glad your back at it. How much of the floor delaminated?

Bob

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139829

The closer I look, it seems to be the entire area behind the seat platform, like 4 foot by two or two and a half foot. First pic is of the wet spot, second pic if of the entire area.

Any of you who followed what I did with my old Power Cat know that I do not mind glass work, and/or fixing old boats! I just look for suggestions, as this is new to me. My wife loves this boat and I want to get it right.

I will probably be expanding the seat platform back on both sides for modern lounge seats and glassing a piece of 3/4 plywood where the current wet spot is for a battery location. I am still trying to figure out if I want to stay with a pulley system for steering, or convert it to a single cable. I have a covered space to work on it, but am also trying to finish a new hot rod, and get the house ready to sell. Plenty to do, but I retired in early December last year, and love being busy.
Attachments:

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139839

Took out a piece of the floor this morning. Looks like the glass was over 1/4" plywood, though at this point it is hard to tell what it was other than 1/4". Removing very carefully with a dremel tool and cut-off wheel. Will keep going till I find solid wood under floor. Then will replace wood where it's rotted and glass everything back in. It looks like it's solid for maybe two inches side and back too, which will help.

Gotta do some work on the hot rod today as well. Getting there. If that works out okay, can get back at the Carefree.
Attachments:

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139845

Yep your doing fine, right idea.

So what's the new hotrod and what happened to the t bucket?

Bob

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139846

Thanks Bob. Never made it any farther, had to meet the little woman to buy a new dishwasher and go to dinner.

Was tearing the old hot rod apart a few years ago to repaint. Had the body with all the wiring and such in the pole barn along with my old Power Cat with 100hp I6 merc on it. All went up in a fire in the middle of the night. Never determined a cause.

So now we had grandkids, the wife wanted something bigger. So I bought a t tub body from a disreputable place. I had to lengthen the frame, change position of radius rods, and on and on. Long story, but this is fiberglassics, so the story goes on, but this is not the place!

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139861

Sorry should have asked in an e-mail. I knew the boat went, unfortunately, but didn't know it took the rod with it!

Bob

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #139863

Yup, sad deal Bob. Will replace the floor to stock standards in the MFG. then sell it with a clean conscience. Got my eye on another one just needs a motor.

Busy day trying to get some trailers ready to sell. A bit more to do, then back in the house!

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #140021

Giving up on this boat. Too much work even for me, especially with a boat I really don't want anymore. I'm going to need the trailer for a while, then will sell everything at a substantial loss.

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #140026

Damn buddy that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

Bob

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #140031

Well Bob, if you grew up in my generation, these lyrics would make sense to you:

Did you ever have to finally decide?
And say yes to one and let the other one ride?
There's so many changes and tears you must hide.
Did you ever have to finally decide?

From "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind" by the Loving Spoonful (back in 1965).

Frank

Back at work on our Carefree! 4 years 9 months ago #140040

It's not always easy, it's not always kind.
Did you ever have to make up your mind?

LOL well being born in '60 and growing up in East Detroit, I know all those tunes as well as all the Motown stuff. ;)

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)