Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 57 Cambridge

57 Cambridge 6 years 5 months ago #134612

I just started dismantling a 57 Cambridge to restore it. It sat outside for many years and someone was giving it away. I don't know anything about boats but I've done quite a bit of carpentry/woodworking. So far I've found the hull to be in excellent condition. The windshield (wood) is excellent. A lot of the rest of the wood needs replacement.

So far my questions are:

Were the hulls ever gel coated?

Was there anything between the transom boards and the fiberglass hull. It looks like there might be toothed trowel marks from something that was applied but is now dried tan crumbly stuff.

Who is a good supplied of nuts, bolts, and screws?

That's it for now.
p.s. I know it's a 57 Cambridge because "CAMBRIDGE 57" is stamped under the windshield parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

57 Cambridge 6 years 5 months ago #134616

1. Yes, the hulls were gel coated, but this early generation of gel coat tended to yellow with age.

2. Most fiberglass boats have transoms made with fiberglass skins inside and out, with plywood cores. These were unusual, as the core was fiberglass (part of the hull when molded) with inner and outer layers of mahogany.

3. You can always get stainless nuts and screws of most hardware stores or your local West Marine.

4. I would highly recommend getting involved with your local chapter is of the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) and the Antique Outboard Motors Club, Inc. (AOMCI). They are great clubs with others of like interests.

The early MFG hulls were fiberglass copies of the 15' Lyman hull that MFG tried to sell to Lyman, on speculation. When that didn't work, and GM was threatening to stop production of the Corvette in late 1954, MFG went into the boat business by buying an old furniture factory in Union City, PA, that included all the power work-working tools, and went into production. Lots of info on MFG in the Library section of this site.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

57 Cambridge 6 years 5 months ago #134617

Thanks for the reply.

Still wondering if there was an additional adhesive or maybe waterproofing layer between the fiberglass and the Wood.

Some of the bolt sizes are unusual for instance 5/32(#8)x4" carriage bolts to hold the transom together. They look like brass but stainless would be fine.

I'll check out the AOMCI

57 Cambridge 6 years 5 months ago #134619

Some sort of adhesive was used, but I don't know what type. My MFGs are all later 1960's models that had more traditional plywood cores with fiberglass inner and outer skins. The last of the ones like yours were made in 1960.

Another source for hardware is the Classic Boat Connection. They might have exact replacements. Lots of restorers use them:

www.classicboatconnection.com/

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

57 Cambridge 4 years 3 months ago #141654

I have a Cambridge also, my transom seems to be solid however some of the filler used between the two transom sections is missing for the first 1 1/2 inches. I am thinking about filling the void with high viscosity penetrating epoxy.

57 Cambridge 4 years 3 months ago #141659

It's not filler missing; it's your fiberglass hull.

MFG molded the hull, then the mahogany was added to the inside and outside of the transom after molding.

Never heard of that part of the hull damaged before, but epoxy should work fine for the repair.

57 Cambridge 4 years 3 months ago #141660

Thank you for that reply, that never occurred to me, now I see how the transom was constructed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7086 guests and one member online