Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stuck piston -

Stuck piston - 10 years 2 months ago #98315

Got everything out but this last piston - will not budge - had to remove rod end cap and take the rest of the crank away - I am sure it is like the other one on the top and there was dirt and mud in there which has rusted the rings to the cast iron sleeve.
I was thinking of putting a pipe (with some kind of protection around it) back in the end of the rod, put the end cap back on and then use that as leverage to tap down on - do you think that might work? I am very nervous of whacking on that piston with anything - or are they tougher than I think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stuck piston - 10 years 2 months ago #98316

For sure the rings are rusted to the steel liner. The pistons are tough but I would not beat on the rod. Since you have everything apart it will be easier to soak the rings with atf in the position you have it in now. Then after the ATF has soaked in use a propane torch and heat the block and the adjacent liner to expand and crack the bond. Heat it and then tap the underside of the piston with a dead blow hammer, using a brass rod, wooden stick or something similar. Place it on the flat spot on either side of the rod and whack it. Heat again whack again. It will break free. You are not going to save the rings anyway. The piston should emerge relatively unscathed.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Stuck piston - 10 years 2 months ago #98321

I like to heat my engines up in my kitchren oven @ 300 for 45 min or so great for getting out broken bolts too nice even heat

Re:Stuck piston - 10 years 2 months ago #98328

Oh yeah, that would go down like a lead balloon in my house for sure!!!!!! :)

Re:Stuck piston - 10 years 2 months ago #98393

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
A soak in the usual juice like PB Blaster plus vibration is the ticket. Use an air hammer with a blunt tool on the piston bosses, turn the air pressure down you are not trying to drive it up or out just put shock waves into it to break the rust crystals. Buzz it a little on each side at least once a day. In a few it will start moving. If you are patient you might just save the piston.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online