TOPIC: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning

1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98242

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, yet again another question,

I'm trying now to set the timing and the magneto up. I have the copies of the service manual but I don't think I can do to much without some of the proper tools.

I've done the first (easy) step of installing the belt. (see picture below).

So my questions are, can this (timing/tuning/magneto setting) be done without the special tools. And if so, can anyone give concise steps?

George G offered to help (he is close enough that I can drive to him) but I think he has been off line for the last couple of weeks and haven't heard back from him.

I'm hoping to finish getting this together by Thursday as the family is going to cottage country for vacation.
Thanks
Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98245

first to line up the belt make top piston at top dead center. the line arrow to the crank.

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98250

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dave.
I had thought that the 0 with a line through it on the flywheel was tdc (which is what I lined the arrow up with in my original post). So as you said, I determined tdc then realigned the arrow on the magneto pulley. This time the arrow points to the the line (without the 0) on the flywheel. Below is the revised setup. Does this look right?
Attachments:

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98259

YEP !!

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98298

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks again Dave.
I'm almost ready for my first attempt at starting it!

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98299

Also, make sure the wire from the choke coil is not hanging loose. I just broke my belt on my 400. Luckily, it was not a new one. I am waiting for the replacement. I had the top off changing a starter and touching up a couple things. Started it up, ever thing good,put the top on it. Next morning I go to crank it, fired a couple times and would not restart. No spark. The plug for the choke wire was snapped into. :unsure: :angry:

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98308

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hugo, sounds like you are on the wrong side of Murphy's law along with me.

I was up until 1am last night with my son trying to finish work on the motor before we go on vacation. we would progress two steps forward then one step back.....

Airing my dirty laundry:
- ready to put the LU on when I realised that water inlet tub that runs from the LU to the engine block can't be inserted after the mid-section has been installed.
-then, while working on installing the starter (for, one reason or another,the tenth or hundredth time) I noticed the cylinder bleed hose had cracked...looking for new one today.
- after installing the starter (which I got from another merc, I noticed the teeth were different from the original, remove the starter and exchange the gear for the original gear.
- forgot a gasket on the carb.
- on the good side, I installed the LU correctly on only the second try!

So today, in-between the shopping and packing for vacation, I have to get and install new bleed hose, re-finish carb assembly, redo any steps that failed then hopefully do a test start.

Crossing my fingers!

Re: 1960 Merc 300 - Timing/Syncing/Tuning 10 years 2 months ago #98319

Yah, I got my belt on right yesterday, the second time that is. The first time it barked at me. :P Woops. All is good now with the Mercury. (The Chrysler is kicking my butt though.) :angry:
It seems like the more you NEED to get it done, the more it fights you. We have just enough water to run in and it will be gone in 6 weeks or so. We have other places to run at but they are an hour or two away, to far for test runs.
Good Luck

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online