Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: l/u test result

l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94255

Just had my lady turn the prop as I shifted the control into reverse . At reverse 1 on the control the prop began a clicking noise when i put the control lever as far as it would go the prop could not be turned (clockwise ) by hand . However could still rotate counter clockwise , and also the control lever was not at 90 fully ? Than cable was all the way locked at the end of the channel . Left it exactly as stated, with control lever as far in reverse as she will go . Should I attempt adjustment ? Can anyone give me a run down on the process . ?
Thanks
Disco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94256

Thinking about pulling the control box next . Any input ? I hope its something in that box out of adjustment. I have noticed that I have to push the lever further forward than I used to to get full throttle. Last year on the first few voyages , I noticed that I got full throttle in either direction with the control lever at 90 in either respective direction. Now it has to go to about 110 forward to get wot, and the lever now will not go even 90 back (reverse),more like 75- 80.
Am I on the right track ?

Re: l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94284

Disco,

A worn cable can cause issues.

Not sure how old you motor/controller box is? If it is old, then consider replacing both cables while the box is open. I have opened my 1965 control box a few times and hope to never do it again. I made the mistake of opening it and only doing one of the cables. Bad plan. If it is open change both so you do not have to do it again next year. It is a stressful project. Have a manual and a helper with you before doing this. Make sure you have some time to start and finish. Account for every part, where it came from and how it goes back together. Apply good lubrication. Look at the manual so you know what to expect. There is a small rod that will pop out. Make sure you find it and get it back when reassembling. It is what gives you the "click" feel going from reverse, neutral and forward. Good luck

Re: l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94316

Thanks bones , after reading your reply I might say F it and wait til winter to try attempting the box r and r . I guess I can just use the electric for reverse ..... Not ideal tho . Was hoping to see a few more replys from the "heros" on here . I have studied the pages in the manual regarding the control box , doesn't look too bad , .... But also doesn't look even close to easy . Might need more coaching before attempting this one .

Re: l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94324

Disco,

The first time I opened my control box I had a friend who was a marine mechanic with me. After seeing the cams and how it all fits together, I was so glad he knew what he was doing. I may not have ever gotten it right without his assistance. If you have never done it before, have a helper. Go slow taking it apart. Maybe even take pictures. Disconnect cables from the motor. Have both new cables ready. You want to do this once and be done. If your wiring harness is old, you might want some heat shrink wrap or be prepared to cut out old and get to better wires. Like I said open it up once. I just redid my external wire harness. I decided to do a dash mount key switch so I did not have to open the control box and redue the wiring.

Re: l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94337

Wow. After reading that last one , bones I'm pretty sure I won't try to mess with it too soon ...... Hopefully I can manage with out reverse or at least gas powered reverse for a while , may require careful and precise navigation skills , which I'm not quite sure I possess yet. Thanks again for warning me about this potential ' Pandoras' box . Pun intended . When I do attempt this , I will heed your advice and replace both cables , starting at the engine and also go slow and take pics every step .

Merc Control box help needed! 10 years 4 months ago #94340

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Please forgive my intrusion here, but I feel the need to play "devil's advocate". While bonesdc is certainly warranted in the warning, as he said it's not something you want to do multiple times if it can be avoided. This IS something you can handle if you proceed with caution. Split the box and lay the halves out like a butterfly, taking note and pictures of what goes where. I've done one myself, with no experience - so it CAN be done.

Not having reverse is dangerous IMHO, what happens if you get in a situation where you need to stop quickly? The thread was titled "l/u test result", so maybe a new thread with the proper heading will draw the help you are looking for?

Just my two cents, sorry for butting in....... :)

Mark

Re:Merc Control box help needed! 10 years 4 months ago #94356

Thanks mark , was hoping somebody would "but" in, a bit of confidence and encouragement is gained knowing it has been done by a first timer before . Also a good suggestion on starting a thread with a different title , I assumed everyone else on here is as big a nerd as I am , and read all the posts ! I started in my " lower unit prices" thread , and was hoping the peeps would follow me with this last one about the test results . Guess I need s more catchy thread title perhaps something with the word sex in caps would do !! :)

Re:l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94389

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good deal Disco, I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended! The good Dr. Frankenmerc has started a thread with pics on the subject, should be very helpful with your task at hand;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/mercury-outpost/control-box-pictorial

Mark

Re:l/u test result 10 years 4 months ago #94422

I treat the word of the good doctor as gospel. The folks on here will not let you get stuck as long as you ask for help. People like dr frankenmerc take great pride in insuring folks get back on the water and the mysterious ways of the Merc Yoda's is not lost. If I can do it you can too!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online