• Page:

TOPIC: 59 mark 55 AE

59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #93991

• madbohunk
  • madbohunk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Guys i need some advice, getting ready to fire up the old merc, thats been setting for 3 years. what are some of the do and don't ? the plugs look great and the motor is really clean. been told by a local mechanic carb kit ,impeller , all new grease befor i turn the key!! just need some advise and i know this is the place for it!! thanks madbohunk safe boating

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #93998

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Two years ago I worked on a 1958 model .. It would not fire untill I put a NEW fuel diaphram in the pump.! Used ones just seem hard..
To get the initial start ,If you dont have visible spark on the plugs, is to open up the cap & Rotor & emery clean the tips..
I think the 1959 model 55 is 40 HP ? & "A" for anniversary . ? Is your color White. ? The other model is Mark 58 for 45 HP .

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94000

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Split, thanks for the quick advice, will do, the A is for alternaor the E is for electric, 40 hp, i will check those out and yea it is cloud white ill post a picture

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94007

turn it through one tine by hand and check the timing belt for cracks or wear If there is any replace.

Some of the mags had a place in the shaft that you shot some grease to it ...do that if it has one.

Check the starter and make sure that the grease on the bendix has not gotten hard. If so clean and re grease Hate for it to get stuck in the gear with the motor running.

Check all fuel lines. by moving them...if they crack or break replace them for they will break so sooner or later while using the motor if they just show some cracks.

CAVU

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94009

A is for Anniversary model year 1959. E is for full electric with charging system. S is for electric starter only NO charging. M is for Manual start. L is for long shaft. have I forgotten anything.so yours is a 1959 mark 55 full electric short shaft 40hp.Nice motor.

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94023

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks everyone for all the advice, thats why i love this site, so much knowlage , i will look at everything. so here we go !!! will post results thanks madbohunk safe boating

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94030

Before you rotate the flywheel with the rewind or electric starter on a motor that has been sitting, I strongly encourage folks to remove the sparkplugs and spray in some fogging oil or fuel mix and allow the beast to sit for a few hours.
Then add a wee bit more lube via the sparkplug holes and SLOWLY rotate the flywheel until you have completed a few complete rotations.
Then it should be lubed well enough to keep the cylinder walls and pistons from scoring each other with dry rotations.
If proper oil was used before you got the beast, or if it was fogged before it was stored, there could still be enough of a coating of lube in the cylinders & bearings, but never hurts to take precautions.
Then, and before spending time and money on the ignition & fuel system, take compression readings with a thread-in style automotive compression gauge. This works best with the electric starter, but it can also be accomplished using the rewind. Just continue rotating the motor until the compression gauge stops climbing.
Note to reading, re-set the gauge, and do the next cylinder.
Report the findings.
Doc
Attachments:

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94049

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Holy Cow! You got enough motors there Doc?

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94053

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
doc, thanks for the advice will do !!!! and yes i like all the motors you have. now i know what to put on the wall of my garage!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94088

SteveH asked: "Holy Cow! You got enough motors there Doc?"

SIGH,...WAY too many, but they are like stray cats to some folks in that I just can't allow such treasures to be nuked at a scrap yard.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again,...I am a Mercaholic
:) :laugh: :)
A neighbor kid counted just under 100 assembled Mercs a month or so ago.
Lots of used parts too.

Doc

it looks like the Great PNW is going to have a beautiful day today!!
WAHOO
:laugh:

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94092

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
"it looks like the Great PNW is going to have a beautiful day today!!
WAHOO"

Are you in the PNW? Heading up there the first week in June.

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94126

Yuppp.
I'm in Shelton, WA 98584
Three six OH two ate zero ate too 17
If you have time to stop in, feel free to do so.
Doc

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94129

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have a canal lot over at Ocean Shores. Haven't spent much time over there recently but your collection would well be worth seeing. My summer place is in Spokane (Deer lake specifically).

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94190

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doc, today i did the compression test on the mark 55 #1 cyl 135, #2 cly 134, # 3 cly 131, #4 cly 131. Should be good to go. next i'll work on the carbs and check for spark. gotta run to an appointment so thats it for today. thanks again for all the info. Oh getting the screw in compression tester in hole # 4 is a challenge !!!! madbohunk safe boating
Attachments:

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94253

madbohunk,
I have attached some pictures that show the process to remove the magneto polish the points.
Hope they help.
Doc

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94901

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
today was the day!!! after all the advise from everyone, and especially "Doc" I fired up the mark 55ae for the first time in about 4 years. Had everything hooked up gas to the carbs, turned the key,only to have the starter just spin, hit it again same thing, maybe third time is the charm, no luck, took the hood off only to find that the starter gear wouldn"t come up, cleaned it with carb cleaner and freed it up, just old grease holding it stuck, a little tri-flow and it worked up and down. hooked the battery up put fuel to it and truned the key.she started right up. i was a happy happy man. after about a minute water came out the p hole,let it warn up at idle for about ten minutes then increased the speed she seem to run great .ran for about 45 minutes never got hot kept cold water in the test barrel. so tomorrow on the boat she goes, get the controls hooked up and try to make a memorial day run (only bad thing its suppose to rain) thanks again to everyone, Doc you are the man!!!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94912

TallTexan wrote:

Check the starter and make sure that the grease on the bendix has not gotten hard. If so clean and re grease Hate for it to get stuck in the gear with the motor running.

Better that "it would not come up" (AKA engage) then engaging and sticking

CAVU

Re:59 mark 55 AE 10 years 4 months ago #94914

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yep should have read the advice better, so many thing to do , but not bad for my first time. thanks again

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online