Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question

64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88357

Hey - I've noted a reed valve part number change and I'm looking for guidance. From 1964 thru 1967 the reed valve part # is A-34-32203A1. In 1968 the part # changes to A-34-45506A1.

Here's my question/s. Was the latter (68-69) reed a percieved as an improvement over the former (64-67)?

Will the reeds safely interchange? Specifically the earlier reeds in the later motors? According to my cross-referencing this the only part number change I've noted regarding the entire main bearing reed valve assembly.

Except for the reeds, all part #'s are the same from 64 thru 69.

Thanks and I hope my inquiry seems reasonable and concise.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88392

I 'think' that the earlier model had a bronze set of reed blocks, where the later model had aluminum reed blocks.
I can not answer whether or not the earlier reed pedals - valves - are the same size or not in comparison to the later reed pedals.
If you find that there was an inline-6 that used those early pedals, I most likely can dig some out and compare sizes & shapes to the later ones.
I see that the 1000ss also used the later 533-2761A2 blocks, so if using those (aluminum) a set of Boyesen fiber reed pedals are still available to purchase and would be a bonus to use if you are going to be doing a full disassembly-reassembly of the powerhead.
If you get that deep into the beast, be sure and inspect the reed blocks labyrinths for excessive wear & replace the blocks if you see they are obviously worn. Not usually an issue in a 2 cyl, but something to look for.
I most likely have good used sets if needed.
Doc

Re:64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88393

Thanks Doc - that was the weathered input I was hoping for. Chris Carson Marine Service also stocks the fiber reeds for 64-69 Merc 350. Agreed, while reeds and related parts perform a bizillion times seemingly without flaw, they can and do fail. A sucked reed is costly.

Re:64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88409

"Agreed, while reeds and related parts perform a bizillion times seemingly without flaw, they can and do fail. A sucked reed is costly."

I was just referencing the reed blocks & their labrinths not wearing out. I definitely agree with replacing the reed pedals.
:-)
doc

Re:64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88410

I've only noted raves about Chris Carson's reed valves across the www gamut. Care to offer your thoughts on CCMS reeds?

Re:64-69 Merc 350 Reed Valve Question 10 years 8 months ago #88416

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Chris Carson is held in high regard over at Scream and Fly. He's the go to guy in south Florida.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online