Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tell Tail Tricks?

Tell Tail Tricks? 10 years 10 months ago #87158

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 1970 Glastron V-143 with its original Merc 1000. I'm pretty sure it’s a 1968 version, but am still working on confirming that as I'm in Australia, the serial number says it’s a 1000SS (based on US numbers), it does not have the “SS” over the “1000” decal and the main decal colour scheme ("MERCURY" in red) does not match anything I can see from 1968 (or any of the years either side).

I put the hose on it and gave it a 30 second run at idle, but no tell tail. I am planning to replace the impellor and do a few other things, but I'd like to give it a bit more of a run first, to test out what I will need to actually tackle.

So, my questions is… are there any tricks I can do, to try and get the water at the outlet, and/or to test if water is actually cooling the motor?

Thanks,
Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Tell Tail Tricks? 10 years 10 months ago #87160

touch the exhaust cover it should be no more than warm to the touch.

Re: Tell Tail Tricks? 10 years 9 months ago #87181

Bugs, silt,sand etc can all plug the tube, I usually use a blow gun off my compressor to ck for obstructions , it will most likely need a pump anyway. post a pic so we can see it.

Re:Tell Tail Tricks? 10 years 9 months ago #87186

Aaron, A red decal set is what my 1970 1350 has. For as little cost and trouble an impeller is, and the havoc that not pumping water can cause, I think I'd put one in before running the motor for more than a few seconds.
A V143 with a 100 HP Merc 6 will be a pretty sweet little rig!

Re:Tell Tail Tricks? 10 years 9 months ago #87190

The early Mercury motors never had an overheat warning indicator or a shutdown system for overheat.
Not sure why any classic motor owner would take a chance on running with an iffy impeller.----Put a new one in every 3 years !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online