Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prop is seized on the shaft

Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #86928

When years go by without the prop being removed and the propshaft splines go uncleaned and re-greased,...The prop can become seized on the prop shaft.
The trouble with attempting to pull the prop off with common pullers is that there is a rubber hub between the outer part of the prop that you are attempting to pull, and not the hub, which is what is actually seized.
Often the heavier stainless props and older bronze props can still be removed with a press against the blades, provided the rubber hub portion is tough enough to hang in there while you press against the prop shaft.
Aluminum prop blades will simply fold or break away if you attaempt to hold the prop by the blades & press on the prop shaft.
Below I have attached a series of pictures showing the safest way I've found to remove a stubborn and seriously seized aluminum prop.
Have fun.
:)
Doc F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #86945

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Great post Doc! I might have a better way to slice the prop, but have to go out in the shop and look through my junk and brain storm this. Might stop out in a couple weeks, as need to head yer way anyway. I'll get ya a heads up. Robby

Re:Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #86952

doc, i have a mk 20 and the prop is very stuck, can i save the prop? it has not been removed in 35+ years

Re:Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #86971

Ponyboy,
Is the prop aluminum or bronze??
If it is bronze,...I would say YES.
If it is aluminum it will probably get thrashed using my means.
I would have to look at a Mk20 aluminum prop to see if there is some way to maybe drill a couple holes in it and then tap the holes & install a couple grade 8 cap-screws through the body of the prop & into the hub & then use these to anchor a two-finger puller.
The holes could be TIG'd later if the prop is still good.
I'll dig one out and get back to ya.
Thom

If it is just fresh water rust and neglect,...Try soaking the prop shaft in ATF:Acetone at 1:1 ratio :-)

Re:Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #86997

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Doc,

Was this a preemptive post to keep me from asking a million questions about my stuck prop on one of the 1000 sisters? :)

Dan

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #87021

i have seen prop hubs heated with a really good torch and they wikk pop off the rubber hub even aluminum.

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #87023

WOW ! Great tip.
Jim

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #87047

If you plan to apply heat to the hub, put a large washer & nut on the prop shaft, but not tight against the prop - leave a 1/4" +, just make sure the nut is fully on the threads.
When the rubber expands the outer part of the prop can either break open or shoot across the room in a very lethal way.
Doc

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #87054

Oh, man...been there, done that. Even lots and lots of heat did not do it. You are right about being careful with the press, that can hurt you, or hurt the motor. After many hours of struggle...
I simply attacked it with a dremel and a cutoff wheel. About a half hour later, the prop and all the associated adapters were in two pieces and on the floor.
It was really the shorter way around. Next time I get a stuck prop, I'll spend no more than thirty minutes with heat, then go right to cutting the thing off.
Hey Dave Bernard, no more John's Mercury Site for you?

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 10 months ago #87057

OH im still there.

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 9 months ago #87188

"Was this a preemptive post to keep me from asking a million questions about my stuck prop on one of the 1000 sisters?"
You're onto me Dan! :-)

"doc, i have a mk 20 and the prop is very stuck, can i save the prop? it has not been removed in 35+ years"

Ponyboy,
Sorry it took so long, but here is what I would try.
Doc F
Attachments:

Re: Prop is seized on the shaft 10 years 9 months ago #87206

thanks Doc, ive never had a prop off one of these so i didnt know how big-small the hub would be. i hope to restore this ol mk 20 someday

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.886 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online