Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 79 Merc 115 hp.

79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85335

79 Merc 115 hp. Good, bad, otherwise? I can pick it up really cheap. Any thoughts on it. Thanks, Skip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85336

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Nothing inherently bad about a Good Ol' Tower of Power! Unless it's a Salty Dog for Parts Only, it's certainly worth picking up for "cheap". A good lower unit is worth $200-$400+ on eBay, not to mention all the other parts!

Let's see some pics when you snag your new toy!.....ed

Re: 79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85340

The biggest problem with an inline 6 is the #1 cyl can overheat very easily. When it does it scores the cyl and can take out the valve between the cyls. don't buy it without taking a leakdown test. if it's bad yer looking at a couple grand or more to rebuild. iT IS THE WORST MOTOR TO BUY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. If it's good it could be the best motor you ever had. BTW you have to raise them up a couple inches to get the most out of them. That could be another whole bag of worms. Hope I helped.
Attachments:

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85347

and if you dont want it and the price is really good as you say.. post it up.. im sure someone else will check it out..

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85355

Great motors if you can do / want to learn how to maintain them.---Very expensive to rebuild if major work / new parts are needed.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85368

Well I picked up the 115 today. The motor is not in too bad of shape. I will need to build a new stand for this one. Here are some pics of it in the back of the truck.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85370

That does not appear to be a 79 motor. Very common these days to see motors misrepresented.----Serial # is the only way to confirm.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85371

wow power trim.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85373

Ok, I checked out the serial # and it looks like it may be a 1972.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85406

Skip if it is a 71 or 72 the bolt pattern of the power head to lower end will be different than 73 and up. Nothing wrong with that, but it does limit your parts choices. Looks complete.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85569

I think the 1970-1972 1150's are the same. 1972 they are blue thats it. It is the old mid style.

The the 1350 is the same block as well. I think you can do a few upgrades and make it a 1350 if you choose. I think reeds, carbs and possibly an exhaust plate are what need to be changed.

DOC Frankenmerc has done this before so he is the guy to ask.
Conrad

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85574

Haven't really had a chance to look at this motor too much. Pulled a back muscle the other day. Only managed to get the motor out of the truck so far. Screwed up my back by lifting up a 10 lb bag of flour. Told the wife it would have been easyer to pick up the motor. Skip.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85615

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
milkdud wrote:

I think the 1970-1972 1150's are the same. 1972 they are blue thats it. It is the old mid style.

The the 1350 is the same block as well. I think you can do a few upgrades and make it a 1350 if you choose. I think reeds, carbs and possibly an exhaust plate are what need to be changed.

Yep, as was waiting for Conrad to chime in here. On the 71/2 115 (made for the hp range the market), compared the 73 135, basic same motor with flow restrictions. Reeds and Reed blocks, carbs, and exhaust tuner.
Doc built my 72 115 crank up and true "Doc Frankenmerc". 1500 reeds and blocks, 1400 carbs, and the 135 exhaust tuner mid.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85618

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
skipthescrounger wrote:

Haven't really had a chance to look at this motor too much. Pulled a back muscle the other day. Only managed to get the motor out of the truck so far. Screwed up my back by lifting up a 10 lb bag of flour. Told the wife it would have been easyer to pick up the motor. Skip.

Well welcome to the "Merc" club! The great Doctor (Frankenmerc) lives 20 miles north me. His back, as mine aint "what it was either" Decades picking up Mercs? Well both us "hobbling around", but hard to put down! BUT you? HA!..! Late May I did a pick up "twisting move" a 30 pack beer! Felt the ouch but I trudged on life. WRONG!

4 days later simple putting a shoe on? A STABBING LOWER BACK pain!

Sciatica right leg nerve..(3rd hit me) On my ass in bed pain a week, and missed 6 weeks prime boating season. Trust me, ya DO NOT want "Sciatica" LET THE BACK HEAL FIRST! And?..NEVER EVER, do "a twisting move ANY pick up anything heavy a "twisted body move the back!" Wish the best to ya..Bag of flour, or a case beer?..damn!

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85649

I'm just finiishing up a nice rebuilt 1350.
Still need to add a tell-tale to the top of the block, andstart tracking down inner cowl supports, but she's getting close. :-)
Doc F
Attachments:

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85666

Sweet looking motor there Doc. Is that clear fuel line you are using on this motor? Skip.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85760

Well I finnaly managed to get the motor out of the truck and onto a stand. Had to kinda mess around with the hoist to get it hooked up right. Now I just need to get a couple of bolts for the mount to hold it on the stand then I can get it down into the shop area.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85789

Looks great. Just for others reading this. Be careful lifting the 1965-1988 inline 6's from the cowlings like this. They are not fully attached. They are only floating cowlings. They can break if lifted this way.

Mercury isolated the cowlings on rubber mounts starting in 1965 to reduce vibration transmission noise.

Those little black rubber isolators break easily and are not cheap new. If your looking to make 135 hp out of this motor, ask Doc Frankenmerc to help you the it. He has the steps down pat.

Conrad

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85792

The proper lifting adapter screws into the thread on the flywheel hub.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85795

Yea I kinda was taking it real easy lifting it this way. I bought one of those lifting tools that screw into the flywheel. Tried it on the 950 and it was so poorly made that it pulled right out of the hole where it screwed into. Luckly the motor was only about 2" off the ground when it happened. I got this motor on the stand with no problems so I am good to go on it. Skip.

Re:79 Merc 115 hp. 10 years 11 months ago #85798

Factory tools are always best.---I have the factory lifting tool and also one I machined myself.--Both work without a problem.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online