Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Mercury 58AM

1959 Mercury 58AM 11 years 2 days ago #84615

Can a stater and alternator be added to a 58AM to make is a 58AE?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1959 Mercury 58AM 11 years 1 day ago #84634

Yes it can you need a starter flywheel rectifyer wiring harness and stator. find a donor motor.

Re:1959 Mercury 58AM 11 years 1 day ago #84640

Absolutely!!!

Re:1959 Mercury 58AM 11 years 1 day ago #84643

If you can not find a donor motor, please contact me as I have everything needed and will make you a sweet 'package deal' on the required goodies, which I will test to insure they are properly functioning for you.
Please be aware that if you select to hunt these items down independently,...It will most likely be way too costly to pursue.
If you find a donor Merc 58AE, or a variety of other similar vintage 4 cyl Mercs, which a lot of guys here on the forum can identify for you if you post asking,...

You will need a different top hat that has the electric choke mounting castings, different choke linkage that includes the adjustable link between carburetors plus the 'piston' assembly that gets lifted by the electric choke solenoid (also needed)
You will also need a lower pan (under the power head) that has a hole in it for the internal harness, and of course an internal harness.
You will also need an external harness that will activate the electric choke & starter solenoid - besides being correct to kill the engine when shut-down is desired.
Ideally you will need to snag the specific half of a control box you have that has the desired Neutral Start Safety Switch retaining castings - and a related ignition switch & electric choke push button.
And as already mentioned,...You will need an electric start flywheel, starter & solenoid, stator, rectifier & related internal harness & mounting hardware.
Armed with all these goodies,...It is a very simple retro-fit that lots of fellows on the forum can walk you through.
If you select to discuss this further with me - please write direct. The info is in the attached picture.
My goal is to keep these awesome old classic Mercs alive - not break the bank of the owner wanting to re-live the memories of his childhood - or - any 'newby' that has discovered the passion for these cool old Mercs that the forum members already share. :-)
Doc Frankenmerc 'Keepin Mercs alive since 1965'
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online