• charles
  • charles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have what appears to be a mercruser v8 tack will it work on my
1971 4 cyl 80 hp motor with electronic ignition

Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tack 11 years 2 weeks ago #84034

Hi Charles,
For most V8 Mercruiser tachometers, it would not work on the outboard's Thunderbolt Ignition, but there were some Mercruiser V8s produced which did use the same switchbox (ignition module) I believe, and would work (if the rpm range is high enough for the outboard). Also, many newer tachometers can be "set" on the back for more than one application. If so, it may can "read" from the outboard charging system. If you could post pictures of the front and back, I may can identify the tachometer if I can see details well, or if you should happen to have the factory part number. If your pictures are too large to post here, you may send them to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Tack 11 years 2 weeks ago #84060

• charles
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I thought that this one ran to the trigger side of the coil can you use a automotive tack on this system the motor has the next model ing. in it this is the tack that I have
Attachments:

Re:Tack 11 years 2 weeks ago #84069

Hi Charles,
Although I cannot really see the labels for the terminals, you appear to have an alternator driven outboard tachometer. If your battery charging system is functioning, you can connect this tachometer successfully. To successfully connect the tachometer via the use of a tachometer harness plugged into the MerControl, the brown tachometer sender wire likely connected to the four terminal side of the switchbox will need to be removed and moved to be connected to either one of the yellow with red stripe wires connected to the rectifier.

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Tack 11 years 2 weeks ago #84102

• charles
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
the tack came out of a instrument panel that had gauges for a inboard motor could the used it for that to read the pulse of a v8 aren't the alt tacks for 8 pulses also
Charles

Re:Tack 11 years 2 weeks ago #84107

Hi Charles,
The outboard stator has six pulses per flywheel revolution, the Mercruizer V8 would only yield a signal from the ignition system (four pulses). I am still pretty sure of my opinion, as the tachometers for Mercruisers typically read to 5000 rpms, not 6000 rpms as was the norm for outboards.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:Tack 11 years 1 week ago #84112

• charles
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I will try it on my 65 and see if it works can compare to the tack that I am running on it thanks for the info
Charles

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online