Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 700 DR carb.

Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 3 weeks ago #83676

I have started to rebuild my carbs off of my 61 Merc 700. I find myself in need of one carb or carb body. These are the KA-8A carbs. Does any one out there have a good rebuildable one. One of mine is too far gone to be rebuilt. Also is the any other carbs that can be used on this motor. Thanks for any help on this one. Skip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 3 weeks ago #83681

Skip,
I have some.
Do you need a top one, middle, or bottom??
Please write direct to me at:
doc underscore f at comcast dot net
Doc Frankenmerc (Thom) :-)

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 3 weeks ago #83687

Email sent. Thanks, Skip.

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 2 weeks ago #83765

New question on the DB. Can I paint the stator? The original black paint is coming off and it was starting to get a little rusty. Just wondering if I could spray some flat black on it. Thanks Skip.
Attachments:

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 2 weeks ago #83766

Attachments:

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 2 weeks ago #83769

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would use a Rust inhibitor/converter in a spray can from pepboys or hardware store after removing as much rust as possible and applying to bare metal areas. Goes on clear and after a few minutes a second light coat turns dark then needs a top coat to last. Topcoating that with light coat of spray Shellac or guess your black paint is ok to prevent rusting again?

Wikpedia; Shellac was once used for fixing inductor, motor, generator and transformer windings, where it was applied directly to single layer windings in an alcohol solution. For multilayer windings, the whole coil was submerged in shellac solution, then drained and placed in a warm place to allow the alcohol to evaporate. The shellac then locks the wire turns in place, provides extra insulation and prevents movement and vibration, reducing buzz and hum. In motors and generators it also helps transfer force generated by magnetic attraction and repulsion from the windings to the rotor or armature. In more recent times, synthetic resins, such as glyptol, (Glyptal), have been substituted for the shellac. Some applications use shellac mixed with other natural or synthetic resins, such as pine resin or phenol-formaldehyde resin, of which Bakelite is the best known, for electrical use. Mixed with other resins, barium sulfate, calcium carbonate, zinc sulfide, aluminium oxide and/or cuprous carbonate (malachite), shellac forms a component of heat-cured capping cement used to fasten the caps or bases to the bulbs of electric lamps.

ADDED:
I think either will work fine, dont ya think Charles? if ya have either in the garage go for it imo. The red varnish is more flexable than shellac but think shellac would penatrate better into the windings if thats whats needed? One guy said he pored shellac over his ceiling fan windings and 10 years later is still quiet from the buzzing it had before?

Diversified Brands S00601 RED INSULATING VARNISH; Red Insulating Varnish [PRICE is per CAN] by SHERWIN WILLIAMS
$8.40
In Stock
Tools & Home Improvement: See all 12 items
found this on amazon

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 2 weeks ago #83776

If you can fined a electric motor shop buy a spray can of red insulating varnish clean it with warm soapy water let dry for a couple days then paint it till the paint soaks though the windings
I done this with mine about 5 years ago it is sold by Diversified Brands, Cleveland Oh 44115 WWW.diversifiedbrands.com

Charles

Re:Merc 700 DR carb. 11 years 2 weeks ago #83779

I just found a can of spray that is for electrical windings. Says it is an insulator so I am going to try it. thanks for the help guys, Skip.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online