Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl

115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl 11 years 1 month ago #82950

just picked up a 115 hp mariner today.. 6cyl.. needs some work.. had no spark when removed from boat....now from sitting and kids messing with it the motor will need to be rewired..many broken wires..so guess it will be my winter project....would like to find a trim and tilt unit for it also.. hope its not to bad to repair.. my brother said it needed coils..just not sure about 6 coils going bad at same time...not sure what to check first.. figured i would find a wiring harness for engine and start from there.. not sure on this system what to look for yet for checking out a no spark condition...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl 11 years 1 month ago #82954

I would ignore anyone who says that you need 6 new coils !!----Do the checks on the stator and trigger as per a manual.
If the starter is weak and it does not turn over fast enuff you will have a " no spark " condition.----Then again it might be as simple as looking at the kill switch on the control box.

Re: 115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl 11 years 1 month ago #82957

i will be building an engine stand for it.. since i dont have anything right now strong enough to hold this.. i kind of thought it was funny when i was told it might need 6 new coils... but first i need to repair all the broken wires from kids messing with it.. since it sat in a garage for like 5 years with the side cover off... and we all know how young kids can be... then i will go from there...i remember when this motor was running.. it would run its ass off.. then my brother bought a new 150 merc.. and didnt notice that much difference...

Re: 115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl 11 years 1 month ago #82977

What year is this motor?

I took a mid-80's PTT (single ram all in one unit) and mated it up to my '63 1000. Works really nice and a nice clean set up with on one wire running out to the unit.

As for the kids, take one of their favorite toys and break one of the wires :-)

Re: 115 hp mariner. has no spark on all 6 cyl 11 years 1 month ago #82979

not sure on exact year yet.. but i believe its around a 1980..and some how there is a crack on the steering pivot.right where the shocks bolt up on the outsides... so i figure while i have it off replacing it anyway.. i'll upgrade to trim and tilt if i can find it at a reasonable price..i guessing any merc or mariner of that size and era. would be the same.. these motors are all new to me.. i have been an OMC guy all my life and still am.. but going to give this one a try..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online