Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 Merc 950.

1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82610

Went out today and looked at a merc motor. The owner really didn't know what it was or any thing about it. It is a 67 950 motor. after finding that it wasn't locked up the guy told me I could have the motor for free. He helped me load it on the back of the pu and shook my hand and told me to have a nice day. He wouldn't take any cash for it, just said he was happy to have it gone. So, I now own a big merc that is missing a starter. Are these good motors or whatever. I will post some pics of it tomorrow after I build a stand and get it out of the back of the truck. Skip. ::

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82612

Good for you Skip, nice score!

Bob

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82615

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
"[Are these good motors or whatever.]",Your kidding, Right, :)

Nice lucky find and waiting to see pics....

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82620

When in good condition the inline 6 motors run very nice.
Take your time and check everything.---Install a new impeller for the waterpump before putting it in service.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82625

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was thinking again :) maybe you should first remove the lower then get the starter to see if it will fire up. You can run it for just a few seconds wiothout harm and will let ya now whats needed. Then it might be best to replace the lower seals with impeller if your keeping it otherwise might have to remove the lower twice. Is the gear oil milky if you drained it already?

Questions relating to above? If motor was setting for years...I have a couple motors that haven't run for at least 2 decades so wonder...

Dont you other guys recommend squirting a bit of oil gas mix with extra oil ratio in each cylinder and turn it over by hand a few times before starting? I would.....

Is it necessary to fog the motor to get oil into the bearings, like the top one esp. before starting?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82630

Hi,
Fogging oil awhile before starting would be wise. Double the oil also. Do very carefully inspect all the wiring, including inside the remote control (assuming that you have one). If in doubt at all, it should be by-passed. If this is needed, please send me at e-mail with your phone number and I can go over this with you. We can likely help with a starter (I think that you will find us competitive) depending on how much is short (there are several pieces involved).
By the way, I did e-mail you about the Merc 700 upper mount rubber caps back a week or two ago, but the e-mail address I used might not be one you use anymore.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82661

Gonna try some pics.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82663

Couple more pics. I think this has a different lower unit on it. It don't look right.

Any thoughts?
Attachments:

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82686

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks like you got yourself a tall project there Skip.
Nice score and price.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82701

Hi Skip,
Yes it has been fitted with a newer gear case/lower unit, but is not a problem. We can supply the small bolt-on fin if needed, but mounting the motor on the transom very slightly higher will also work with a suitable propeller.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #82720

Well this has turned out to be a good week. I just got off the phone with another person who wants to give me a 1972 Merc 800 4cly. He says it runs and about all it needs is just to have the wiring fixed up abit. He said I could take it out on the lake where I go and try it out. I might do that this after noon or in the morning. Will keep you posted, Skip.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83045

Well I got around to looking at this motor today. It is a 950ss model. There is no starter on it so I have been looking for one. The 950 has one starter and the 950ss model has a different starter. So here is the Question, What is the difference in the 2 motors. Will ether starter fit mine or do I need the one for the 950ss model. Thanks, Skip.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83051

ss means solid state ignition i am pretty sure both will take the same starter.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83183

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Will ether starter fit mine or do I need the one for the 950ss model.

According to my parts catalogs, Dave is right. Although there are different Mercury part numbers for each motor, both ARCO Marine (#5374) and Arrowhead (#SAB0005) replace them with the same unit Skip.

Mark

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83207

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..S.T.S. : CONGRATS. That 800 FOUR cyl are great motors.. Have unique exhaust block manifold. Also the lower may be a special
gear ratio. ?
.Is that 950 six cyl a SHORT SHAFT lower.. One of the pics
look short .? Anyhow congrats.. May go another year & not score anything. When Hot your hot.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83224

Great engine, but the downside is the ignition. The SS ignition is very expensive to fix and parts are very hard to find, so if there is a problem you would be miles ahead to swap it out for a standard point type system as found in the non SS 950. You will not notice the difference if it is set up right.

Re:1967 Merc 950. 11 years 1 month ago #83227

Thanks for the info on the motor guys. I have been looking at it for the last couple of days trying to see if I really want to get into this one. I need to pick up a starter and bracket just to see if the compression is good. I have no idea if the box is good or not and the coil looks like it may be bad. after I get it cleaned up abit I will post some picks of the parts I am not to sure of. Thanks, Skip.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online