Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: power trim issue

power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82003

So my 65 Merc 1000 seems to be running well now thanks to all the great people on this site. However I have been having a problem with the power trim that I have neglected in favor of spending time on the beast of a motor. It lowers the engine fine but doesnt want to raise her. I have added fluid (brake ) and "bled" a few times . It hums like its working , just no action. I have noticed that the ram on the starboard side has had some putty applied near one of the connections, but doesnt seem to leak to much from there. maybe a drop or two here and there. Lifting the 300 plus pound motor by hand is starting to annoy me. Also I cant adjust tilt during operation which is a downer. Any Ideas where I can start /

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82006

make sure the knob on the pump is in the correct position out or in. cant remember it has been a long time. and make sure the rams are not rusted or corroded on the pivot points at each end.just for a start.

Re: power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82026

Wait, did you say you put brake fluid in the power trim system?

Re: power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82029

I recently worked on my TT for my 1400, probably same dual pistons.

My right piston had a leak and it did the same: would run but the single piston wouldn't push it up.

When you run it after bleeding it do you see any fluid leaking anywhere?

If you take the bleed hose and run it you should see fluid squirt out I think.

Yes, check the knob also (probably first).

Hello, World!!

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82036

not the knob. tried both directions. yep , brake fluid, hydro fluid is non exsistant up here in the mountains. When i say I bled , I left the fill screw off and attempted to operate the trim up and down. Is that not right ? did not use a hose ...

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82054

If you can manually tilt the motor up with the trim system installed you either have the relief knob turned the wrong way, the brake fluid is too thin to operate the pump, or an o-ring may have failed in the manifold.
NEVER open any of the allen head set-screws, little screws holding the base of the reservour to the pump's to the tank, or anything else other than the (4) 1/4 x 20 cap-screws that hold the manifold assembly together.
These pumps work well on 10w-30 motor oil, but you will need to purge out the brake fluid first.
Fill the pump with oil when tilted up & temporarily secured on the tilt stop lever assembly.
Once full, (not a problem leaving the fill hole open) release the tilt stop lever, manually tilt (push) the motor down. It should only lower less than a foot +/-. Then attempt to tilt the power trim UP until it stalls. The angle of the Merc may not change, but the pump should stall (lug down).
Thom

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82076

Thank you Thom,

I have been releasing the relief valve to raise by hand, then I re engage while operating. Can you PLEASE tell me how to purge the system of the brake fluid so I can refill with oil ? Would love to get this sorted before my september Lake Powell trip. :)
Jay

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82085

disconnect the lines and run it and add oil to flush do it a few times and it should be good.

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82089

Thanks dave, Turned out its transmission fluid not brake fluid. not sure if thats any better tho ....

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82090

do I want to disconnect all four lines ??

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82098

yes then hook up 1 on each cyl to flush out the cyl's

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82149

so is the tranny fluid any better off than the brake fluid ? should I still purge and refill with 10w-30 ?

Re:power trim issue 11 years 1 month ago #82178

i would and then you can see if it is pumping at all.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online