Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2013 Merc 90 system ground

2013 Merc 90 system ground 11 years 5 months ago #76513

• DMCI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Isn't it funny, I know all about ground plates and number 10 wire on boats with twin diesels.

But what about on outboards? Do they have a system ground, as this is necessary to reduce noise in VHF radios and other electronics. You would think that with all that metal in the water they would've thought that through but I have no proof one way or the other.

Can anybody help me with this question? It's relatively trivial from a technical point of view, but is it implemented in Mercury outboards for example? Or do I need to install a ground plate.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2013 Merc 90 system ground 11 years 5 months ago #76739

• DMCI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
On the Internet, I found several hundred Mercury outboard wiring diagrams. Everyone that I saw tended to have no ground other than the negative terminal of the battery. While just about every electronic device that I recently purchased for the boats as a reference or even some cases a specific round wire there appears to be no need for ground plate or other device.

This could be the solution unless I get very noisy radio or GPS reception then I will have to revisit the subject.

One of the key things that popped up in my investigation is a need to wrap a wire around the fill fitting and connected to the ground on the gas tank near the gas gauge sender. That in turn would be connected to the ship's ground. The diagram includes a wire it runs to the ship's ground. I don't know if I want to hook that up to the battery or not?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online