Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 86 Mariner 115 ADI refresh, Doc Frankenmerc stuff

86 Mariner 115 ADI refresh, Doc Frankenmerc stuff 11 years 6 months ago #75975

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well a couple years back I bought a couple rebuilt longblocks from Ron Hill. Both were built by Ed Lane the old Merc racer/mechanic.
Sold one and kept one, the one I have is ADI 115/140 with new Wiseco pistons. All the piston diameters and bore diameters are recorded on Ed's handwritten notes. Kinda cool. Looks like a new crank in her but she's still in the wood crate and haven't seen the drive end only the flywheel end. Looks pretty even in the crate!
In Aug 11 I picked up a decent 86 Mariner gray stack with bad powerhead, so onto the stand she (finally) went. The integral tilt/trim works perfect. Doing a basic powerhead swap with new water pump/fuel pump/carb kits etc etc.
These things are sure simple to work on. I have done Black Stack and Gray Stack power head swaps a few times now, and had really good luck, never have broken down ever. Not once.
So in a week or two should have pics of the light off.
Will mount her on my newer power catamaran, replacing a Merc 90 triple looper. She'll be doing more cruiser duty with the Cat than speed duty. But I will admit it is hard not to use the Power of the Stack.
Oh, the drip tray was bad in this Mariner, so a quick call/email to Doc Frankenmerc and a new one is on the way. And a couple boxes of goodies headed his way too.
Also Tom, a surprise coming to you that I think you will really enjoy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:86 Mariner 115 ADI refresh, Doc Frankenmerc stuff 11 years 5 months ago #76499

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Power head mounted, carbs on, installing timing linkage tomorrow.
There are two different throttle cams, one used on ADI 90hp, and one for 115hp. Good thing I saved some parts from previous Mercury Magic sessions as it turns out this engine was originally a 90, someone apparently installed a new powerhead and used the 90hp throttle cam.
I had a 115hp cam and there is quite a difference.
Should have her ready to fire this weekend or next.
I called Wiseco tech support to ask for break in instructions, which differ from the factory Merc book.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online