Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: water in lower unit - gaskets?

water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75712

When I winterized this fall, I found some water in my lower unit oil. Motor is a 1964 500. So this spring I was going to replace some gaskets. At the oldmerc.com website I see:

WATER PUMP BASE TO GEAR HOUSING GASKET

TOP/BOTTOM CRANKSHAFT SEAL, DRIVE SHAFT SEAL & PROP SHAFT SEAL

WATER PUMP HOUSING SEAL

DRIVE/PROP SHAFT SEAL & WATER PUMP COVER SEAL

I have a boat mechanic buddy that just said buy the parts and he will come over and show me how to do it. Any suggestions ? Lord knows when the last time these were replaced if ever. Do I change all these?

I also see they (oldmerc.com) sell a gasket set. These all look more like the motor gaskets and not the lower unit ones. Should I get these and work my way through all the motors gaskets?

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75736

Hey Joe,
I too had water in my lower. Figured some main was leaking. Turned out to simply be the o-rings on the fill/drain plugs. Check those first.

As for replacing gaskets, I personally only replace ones that are clearly leaking, OR any questionable gasket I come across when performing other work. "Don't pick at the scab" :)

I've had great luck finding gaskets and seals (ex:the upper and lower water pump seals) at boats.net

Re:water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75746

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Peter is correct. You first need to pressure test the unit & find out where it's leaking. Might be as simple as the plug gaskets. If you need to reseal it it's a fairly complicated process. But all of the seals are available from various sources. Personally I'd get a a lower unit seal From NAPA or your local Merc dealer.

Re:water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75748

If ( big word )this 50 HP lower unit is original it may have a carbon steel driveshaft.--They often rust right where the seals ride on them. I install thinwall stainless sleeves on them when needed.----Seals do harden and wear out and after all these years will need to be replaced and it is not all that hard or involved to do this.-Complete seal kit is the way to go.

Re:water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75755

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
The Professor is right on this, as a possibility. Best to yank it and have it pressure tested, as tell ya in a second whats what. And on the thin wall sleeves, called "Speedi Sleeves " Great for restoring worn trailer bearing seals too.

www.skf.com/group/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html

Re:water in lower unit - gaskets? 11 years 6 months ago #75854

dont forget the shift shaft seal.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online