Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sigh......

Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75522

just waiting for some warm air......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75530

Ben out on the bay, south shore of Long Island for 3 weekends in a row. Not really boating weather, but I couldnt wait anymore.

here is a couple of the boat underway.

Here is a walk aeound of the boat and then some.

Re:Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75551

Peter, I feel your pain. Gee, a year ago it was about 70 degrees. We'll be lucky to see half that today, with no relief in sight.

Frank

Re:Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75637

Very cool videos - thanks for posting them!
I put a fully rebuilt & restored 800 4 cyl with power trim on a Dorcett El Dorado a couple years back. It seemed like a perfect match - IMHO.
The guy hasn't even used it since I delivered it. Very sad.
I even offered to pick it up and complete the break-in time, but it hasn't happened.

Peter,...The later model Integral Power Trim looks awesome on your classic 1000!
If you have already posted on this - please send me a direct e-mail with the steps you took to obtain this result. WAY too cool!!!
Thom

Re:Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75664

Thanks Thom, I'm really happy with the PTT. A nice clean look. The only downside is that the motor is held in position by the PTT, vs, the force of the forward thrust. So she's not free bounce up and over an underwater object. She'll either crash through it or break off. Or, in the case of my old boat, remove the transom. But lets not think about that!

Retro-ing in the Integral PTT was a really fun project and not really that difficult. I combined that project it with a repaint of all but the wrap. I was of course going to do that this winter but never even took it off the motor. I got her out a few times at the end of last season and it really really made a difference in the drivability of my boat, especially with the hook she has. And it's really nice to be able to lift it up with a button, vs. my back.

Before I took apart the motor I bought a '65 mid section off e-bay (for too much) and tested the fit on the PTT. I didn't want to take her all apart only ti find it didnt fit (for instance, would the pan clear. It bolted right up, so I decided to go for it. I also used that spare mid for other tests, such figuring out how the lock-out rod was attached, paint and such. In the end I didn't have to modify the PTT unit or the motor (other than abandoning the shift lockout)

There is really not much to tell. I took her all apart, and reassembled onto the PTT. As you know you have to lift off the power head to remove pan to remove the mid section. Also have to have the power head off to remove the shift rod, etc etc. After painting and all, put it back together, and as I went I replaced gaskets and seals, cleaned up the Dyna-float mounts etc. Where the reverse lock-out rod came out of the lower unit, I took a new boot and cemented on a trimmed to fit piece of a rubber inner-tube patch, turning the boot into a cap.

One challenge is that you have to put the shift rod boot on the Mid section before you mount it to the PTT. The issue is the shift rod has a barrel on the end that will NOT go through the boot when you are trying to install rod. I got around that by fashioning a wooden point that inserted into the shift rod end. A little bit of grease on the point and it slide right through the boot.

I am sure there was more, but that's what I remember as I sit here waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse. Here are some more pics....

Mounting the Mid to a square of plywood made it much easier to prep and especially to paint.

Painted the PTT - wouldn't do to have a shiny engine and a cruddy PTT

The water pump needed some attention. This is what happens after a few minutes of running with no water. Oddly the impeller was fine. Replaced the upper and lower seals and plastic guild tube and of course the impeller. The impeller housing sleeve was fine.

The PTT is too tall to mount flush to the transom due to the board across the bottom so I have this plywood spacer in place. I'll replace it with some mahogany. Maybe when I paint the wrap?

I mounted the up/down solenoids on the transom knee, and for now have them protected from the elements in an upside down piece of tupperware. I'll make a nice box someday.

I wired the up/down solenids to a couple of pepboys specials - poor mans solution with a more vintage look. The far left button is the horn.

I haven't forgotten that Pertronix Ignitor conversion. I have her running fairly sweet so won't fuss with that till late in the season

Re:Sigh...... 11 years 6 months ago #75687

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Thom, I'm gonna get on his case soon, (Teds Dorsett) as the boat has simple SAT in there shop (Swiftys old place) with the other 2 boats of Ted and Terry. If you didn't run the 80 dry of gas when he picked it up, well, what left is not gonna be pretty I bet. I offered to help get it going right, but that was LAST year. Now I will not touch it as it had BETTER go to you FIRST for the "Docs" touch. I let ya know, and stop and BS with ya soon.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online