Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 50hp distributor

50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74881

hi, i have a 50hp that has no spark so i am trying to troubleshoot the distributor but the cap is stuck on there pretty good. anyone have any tricks to get it off?
thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74888

wooden handle of a hammer and tap it side ways. works every time for me.parallel to the red cap.if you have a problem i can repair the mag just send it to me. i can do a 1 day turn around with a mag i have already to go.

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74897

thanks dave, it is being stubborn so i sprayed it and i am hoping that will soften the gasket.

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74912

You will need to remove the yellow distributor cap, then remove the rotor, and then you will be able to remove the red distributor cover to access the points, etc.
I take a very sharp razor knife and gently slide it in between the yellow cap & the gasket. Then turn the razor knife ever so gently, say less than .005" to get the gasket to release.
Then you will see if the gasket is sticking to the yellow cap or the red body and proceed accordingly.
If the gasket refuses to release, I spray carb cleaner at the gasket and wait for it to soak in a bit.
Then things will release.
I will attach pictures of how to polish the points, which is commonly all that is needed to revive the magneto.
Begin polishing the points with 400 wet-n-dry sand paper, then polish them to a mirror finish with 1500 wet-n-dry sand paper.
Points get set at .010"
Thom
Attachments:

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74920

Once the cap is off, the rotor will be your next challange. Do not try to pry it off! This will break the red bakelite housing and give you untold amounts of grief. Best thing to do is get some heavy line such as for tying up parcels, wrap it around the rotor shaft several times and leave about three feet of slack towards you. Grab the line free ends in the vice, and use the weight of the mag to tug the rotor off. Three or four little jerks should do it, it is also nice to have someone there to catch the rotor as it comes free.

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 7 months ago #74927

thanks gentlemen, i will probably get back to it later this week.

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 6 months ago #75092

ok, i got it apart have the points polished and reinstalled, my question is can i bench test it for spark? Also should i do any cleaning in the cap? By the way the razor blade and string method did the trick.
thanks
Attachments:

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 6 months ago #75093

ok, i rigged up some spark plugs and grounded them back to the housing and got spark on all four.

Re:50hp distributor 11 years 6 months ago #75096

put the mag body against a vise (metal surface) and the tang about 1/4-1/2 in away and spin with your fingers. points set .008-.010.
clean the cap with soap and water and air dry.take carbon out and relube.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online