• Page:

TOPIC: New Issue - Merc 350 - Timing/Sync

New Issue - Merc 350 - Timing/Sync 11 years 7 months ago #74435

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok new thread needed here for a new issue. Recap---Early 60's 2 cyl Merc 35hp. New points installed and gap set.

After putting it all back together and fired it up for first time it is quite apparent that the timing/synch is out of wack as it is is racing at idle then missing and just not right at all. I cleaned and reset the carb so I think I can rule that out.

Checked my 1965 and Prior Service Manual and the section on Timing, Adjusting, Testing the Merc 350 2 Cyl is not being much help to me to be honest.
Says Timing Set is .222" 32 degrees BTDC. Points to .020".

After replacing the point sets and condensors....I set the points much like I always have in the old KD4 Mag/Distributor ignitions. Turned the cam until the lob opens the points and set it to .020 in this case and did the same on the opposite side set.

I guess that there is more to adjusting as outlined in the service manual. Problem is that it is talking about using yet another Mercury tool...timing tool c-91-32253A1...which of course I don't have.

Can anyone provide me in simple instructions on how to set the points/timing correctly on these older Mercs with this type of magneto please and thanks?

BTW...here is a link to the same section from the Service Manual that I am using:
www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/timing/49.pdf

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help.
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: New Issue - Merc 350 - Timing/Sync 11 years 7 months ago #74438

the timing guage only has ti do with the spark advance at full throttle. and that is all should run fine at all other positions.check for carb opening and vacume leaks.make sure nothing is sticking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7519 guests and 2 members online