Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop

Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71805

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the correct twin blade brass prop and cone for a 1957 Super Marathon 78 inline six. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kenny Lippold
414-405-2957

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71810

we w0ould need to know what pitch.or size boat.

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71823

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As Dave said we would need to know what pitch you need . I have a number of those props here. Let me know what pitch you neeed & I'll see if I have one.

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71827

Hi There,

Thank you for your reply. My boat is a 1961 Span America "Pirate." It's 14' and may weigh 400 pounds and I may be lying to you at that. The thing is really light. I will be able to "notch" the motor up to the #2 or #3 pin setting for maximum performance. I also would need the pointed cap that goes behind the prop as well. So what do you think would be the best pitch and diameter for what I have?

Many thanks,

Kenny Lippold
414-405-2957

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71828

Hi There,

Thank you for your reply. My boat is a 1961 Span America "Pirate." It's 14' and may weigh 400 pounds and I may be lying to you at that. The thing is really light. I will be able to "notch" the motor up to the #2 or #3 pin setting for maximum performance. I also would need the pointed cap that goes behind the prop as well. So what do you think would be the best pitch and diameter for what I have?

Many thanks,

Kenny Lippold
414-405-2957

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71834

I would guess about a 19in pitch, about 45MPH.

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71835

I have a quicksilver 46 28267A1-19 left hand pitch for a DR Merc. I also have a '59 Mark 78AE cranks good, I have no title so I can't use it here is missouri. Parts motor, I guess. If you can use these, or anyone else here?

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71836

Hi There,

Thank you so much for your response. The 19 pitch is right, but I need a right hand prop (one that goes clockwise for clarification. As far as the parts motor you have, I will keep you seriously in mind as virtually all of the '59 Mark 78's hardware fits the '57. Good stuff.

Many thanks,

Kenny Lippold
Milwaukee, WI
414-405-2957
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71837

Hi There,

Thanks for the reply. I would think you are in the ballpark in regard to pitch and speed. I was thinking 19-21 pitch that would give me between 45-52 MPH. As mentioned, the boat is really light. The way the thing is going to be set up is for acceleration and smooth cruising. When finished, it will be a real kick in the pants to drive. Gotta love the retro stuff. Do you have a 19-21P twin brass prop? If so, what would you need to get it off your hands?

Many thanks,

Kenny Lippold
414-405-2957

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71861

Also keep in mind I got the motor for free, so I'd probally give it to someone who will really use it for the same price. Daniel

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71868

Hi Kenny,

I have a 1959 G3 that is 13' 7" long and weighs just north of 400 lbs. I am running a '63 850 Merc six. I have a Merc 1000 carb set and tuned exhaust plate installed (a '63 850 is a detuned 1000) I probably am running a little over 90 hp. I tested a lot of props last season, and my best setup was a 19P quicksilver stainless steel three blade prop with a slight cup. At 6200+ RPM (too high) riding solo, I am now getting 55 mph. I did a lot of work on my engine vertical mounting height and use a fair bit of trim to see that speed. With my engine mounted at normal height and moderate trim I was seeing 49 mph with that prop. I tried a ton of props, including the older Kiekhaufer two blade 19P bronze props, where my best speed was about 45. I didnt like it as it would break loose easily on corners and while trimming... it didnt have any cup though.

I think your motor has 2:1 lower gears, so it would be my guess that you dont want more than 19P. I just couldnt get the RPM I wanted with a 21P, and it lugged out of the hole.

I would say that Dave hit it right on the head! (45 @ 19P)
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re: Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71879

Thanks again for taking the time to talk with me yesterday about the prop question. Your information was very helpful

Best regards,

Kenny

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #71880

Hi Dean,

Thank you SO much for your information! By the way, I LOVE your set-up. Really slick. I will take your advice regarding the engine enhancements and propeller selection. Unfortunately, the guy I was to get the '57 Super Marathon Six 75 sold the thing right out from under me after we had an agreement to buy! Yeah, I was going to drive to Valparaiso, IN from Milwaukee to pick it up today, what a jerk. Anyway, I did find a '61 Merc 800 short shaft that actually will match my Span America perfectly as the boat is a '61 also. So I guess things happen for a reason. Have to drive to Minnesota, but no biggie. I am going to try to replicate what you did with your engine set up. You are right in regard to the 45 MPH with a twin bladed brass 19. I want to be in your range of 55 or so. Is this a fun hobby or what Dean! Meeting so many nice people like yourself willing to help others. Gives me hope for this country!

Many thanks, and a blessed holiday season to you and your family.

Kenny Lippold
414-405-2957

Re:Mercury Super Marathon 78 Twin Blade Brass Prop 11 years 10 months ago #72255

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I used to play w/ mark 78s alot when I was younger and found on a boat that size a 17 usually worked best.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7407 guests and 2 members online