• Page:

TOPIC: Hard Cold Starting, Stalling

Hard Cold Starting, Stalling 11 years 11 months ago #71423

• zonaman
  • zonaman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1967 Thunderbolt 50 (ser. # 2214875). Here are some problems I'm trying to fix:

1- Hard cold starting- It takes many tries to get it to run and stay running. Once it does, it seems run well.

2- Warm engine- will stall upon trying to accelerate or will bog down as power is applied. Usually it will do this once or twice, then it will run well.

I'm using a SOLEC manual that includes this engine model/year and I gather that before I start checking my fuel system I should try to be sure the motor is in tune. It indicates that I should look at the breaker points. The manual is somewhat vague here as I apparently have a "type I" or "type II" ignition system. The latter having no points. Could someone clarify this for me? (photos below) Any other advice on how to proceed with diagnosing the troubles would also be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hard Cold Starting, Stalling 11 years 11 months ago #71425

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
You have the style ignition with no points. Try richening your idle mixture screws, I would screw them in to lightly seat and COUNT how many turns it is to do each one. If they are different by more than 1/4 turn then turn them out to the same counts of rotation as the one that needed the most turns to seat. Try running that. If it still stalls on acceleration then turn each out 1/4 turn and try again, repeat till accel does not bog. If they where with in a 1/4 turn of each other then richen each by 1/4 turn out to start and repeat as necessary. Richening will help cold start too, but make sure you pump primer bulb till it's hard and alos verify your choke plates cover the carb opening when choke button is pushed. This all assumes carbs are clean and ignition is good.
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7426 guests and 2 members online