• Page:

TOPIC: wire harness

wire harness 11 years 11 months ago #71239

• otto
  • otto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a rotten wire harness for my 68 50 hp merc, all the wires are cracked and corroded form the controls to the motor,do I get a used one,a new one, or make one up? are there many different cables though the years or are they all pretty much the same?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:wire harness 11 years 11 months ago #71241

depends on your pocket and talent. all ar doable.

Re:1968 Merc 500 wire harness 11 years 11 months ago #71244

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm no Merc expert Otto, but I have rewired a couple Mercs (one on the motor side, and one on the boat side of the harness) due to the same problem. I do know the plug (at the motor) changed several times over the years, not sure on the run of years that may fit yours. Joe at Ferguson Poole Marine was able to supply me a serviceable "pigtail" (cobra plug and short wires connected) for one of the motors, that made the job much easier. He, Tim at Paradise Boat Works, or one of the other "Mercaholics" here may be able to help in that regard.

If you decide to repair yours or create a new harness, just remember to use marine grade wire and use heat shrink and/or liquid tape on the connections. It's a tedious task, but well worth the hassle in the long run. Wiring diagrams are readily available and very helpful should you choose to go this route.

johnsoldmercurysite.com/whitepapers/manuals/4%20CYLINDER%20MODELS%20%281966-1968%29.pdf

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7555 guests and 2 members online