• Page:

TOPIC: Prop questions

Prop questions 12 years 2 weeks ago #69434

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Can anyone recommend a decent prop repair shop? Preferably one that's online. My 650 has an old aluminum 3 blade with a couple large bites out of the blades. I think it can be fixed, but need to ship it to a shop since I live 2.5 miles from the middle of nowhere.

Also, this is a 1964 model and has the old style square shoulder on the thrust hub. My manual says to run a later model prop and thrust hub I should use spacer # C-23-86918. So, looking for a source for that spacer, or for an early model prop, so I can carry a spare. Any suggestions?

Numbers on my prop are MM1265/489W/48-65748A1 17P

Thanks...Norm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Prop questions 12 years 2 weeks ago #69450

Hi Norm,
I have a 1963 850... which shares the lower and mid with a '64 650. I am no pro, but I've tested a ton of props in the last year. The BEST aluminum prop that I tested was the Quicksilver Black Max prop QA2036X at about $89 new. Though these require the Flo-Torque II interchangable hub (adds about $35 to the purchase). I am telling you this because the cost of fixing an old prop (plus 2-way shipping to the middle of nowhere) might be a good part of getting a really good 17P prop... it held its grip good (even with lots of trim) and gave me 49 mph on my G3... I've since bought a 19P and 21P of the same family... that 17P will be my water skiing prop.

Around here in the NW, a reputable prop shop is "The Prop Shop" www.propshopltd.com/

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re: Prop questions 12 years 2 weeks ago #69470

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow, great info, thanks. So the Flo-Torque II interchangeable hub allows the modern prop to bolt up to the 64 lower unit OK?

I suspect the motor on my boat might never have been run after installation. That was several years ago. I'm getting ready to do a trial run on the lake with the old 17p prop, just to see if it's in the ballpark for this boat and motor. I know it won't perform at optimum with the missing pieces but should at least indicate how well it will plane. That will give me a starting point for choosing a new prop/pitch.

I'll probably go the new prop route, well worth the $$. Then I might have the original reconditioned for use as a spare.

Re: Prop questions 12 years 2 weeks ago #69487

Yup, and you use the same bell-shaped thrust washer thats on your LU now... there are different models of the Flo-Torq II for differnt brand/years of motors, but you just need the proper Merc 15 spline one. The beauty is that the props that slip over them are relatively inexpensive.

I saw your prop in your video (by the way, the motor sounds GREAT!) You have some serious chunks missing from that prop ;) I might suggest the obvious, don't run it too long at WOT with that prop, the imbalance will be hard on the LU bearings. If you were a little closer, I'd be happy to lend you some props to test. :)

Is that a DelMar???? I'm a Glasspar guy... had a '59 Avalon since the late-80's and have a '59 G3 I restored.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re: Prop questions 12 years 1 week ago #69513

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Dean, yes it's a Delmar, remarkably complete and in nice shape for a 59. Hasn't been on the water since some time in the 1990s. I bought it as a long term project. I've owned quite a few boats in my lifetime and currently have a 12 foot Sea Nymph for the smaller lakes in my area. I'm really on the fence about the Mercury powerplant. It seems to run OK, but the obsolete parts are a problem. Also my location puts a limit on available used motors and shops that can work on older stuff. Maybe I'll feel better after that test run.

One of the other forum folks sent me an email with lots of good info on trying to match up a modern flo-torq prop to my setup. There are a lot of variables in prop size and pitch, so I'm not sure how I would tackle that. Trial and error could get expensive, but it sure would be nice to have that setup on my motor.

Here are a couple pics of the Delmar. Nice little cruiser.

Attachments:

Re:Prop questions 12 years 1 week ago #69534

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice looking Delmar Norm.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Prop questions 12 years 1 week ago #69541

lookin at that setup i would venture to say a 15in pitch would be very close for a 650 i had a similar setup with a 74 850 and ran a 17in on it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7437 guests and 2 members online