• Page:

TOPIC: mercontrol???

mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68571

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
i replaced the shifter on my 62-700 with a later date mercontrol. it shifts into forward and reverse fairly easy, but is a bear to move when i want to throttle up or down. any idea what could be wrong. ron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68574

ron ,we totaly took apart the same kind of control on the sunray,it could be many things but for us it was just old cables,after we put the new cables on it worked perfectly.
but be careful taking it apart,there is alot going on in there,lol,we took pics and marked the position of all the moving parts with a sharpie so it would go back together exactly like it was.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68577

Ron, I have the same controller and it was doing the same thing. I tried disconnecting the cables at the motor and it worked fine. Turned out to be a binding problem at the magneto/carburetor linkage. Once I got that unstuck, the controller works ok now. Glad I didn't need to open up that controller, it looks like a real can of worms.

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68582

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ron;
Both Norm & John could be right. Try disconnecting the throttle cable at the motor & see how it works. If the cable works ok disconnected the the distributor drive is sticking . There are 2 grease fittings on it . If it's sticking grease them & work the throttle arm back & forth until it moves freely.
Tim

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68587

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i moved the shifter to full throttle and went back to the engine. i wanted to see if it was opening up all the way. i was able to advance the distributor with my hand. does this mean the shifter wasn't advancing it all the way?
i disconnected the throttle linkage at the motor. tried the shifter and it advances much easier. next i greased the distributor , hooked it back up, and its the same. extremely difficult to move to full throttle. it feels like its binding on something but it works fine when disconnected. ron

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68589

Hi Ron,

I had similar issues with my old mercontrol box. I was very hesitant to open it up after seeing pictures of what it looked like on the inside. YIKES – scary in there. The previous posts here are great. Certainly good advice to check out before opening it up. I did open mine up and paid close attention to it each step. I will be happy to talk to you about it as I talk way faster then I can type. I did find a slightly worn bushing that I replaced that and greased it up inside. All that helped, but only a little. I replaced my cables and that was it – smooth easy movements after that. Call me if you want 540 798-3819

Joe

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68591

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
guys..., i wouldn't even attempt to open it up or change the cables myself. thats beyond my capabilities. when i installed the new control i just hooked it up without adjusting those barrel thingies.
this is what i just did. with throttle cable disconnected at motor linkage, i advanced remote lever as far as it would go. its at about 8 o'clock. then i advanced the distributor till it hit the stop, full throttle. then i turned the barrel thingie on the throttle cable back about an inch to it lined up with the connector linkage. connected it. went back to the shifter and pulled back till it hit neutral. it moves a lot easier so i'm assuming it just needed to be adjusted correctly. only thing now that i would like to correct is neutral was at 12 o'clock before i messed with it...now its at 10 o'clock...and reverse is at 12 o'clock. theres also a barrel thingie on the forward,neutral,reverse cable but i can't figure out which way to turn that because i think it coincides with the throttle cable adjustment.
Attachments:

Re:mercontrol??? 12 years 4 weeks ago #68631

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ron;
Call Me.
Tim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7024 guests and one member online