Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need location that can service my 61 merc 400

Need location that can service my 61 merc 400 12 years 1 month ago #68316

Hi

I have a merc 400 1961 that ran fine for the first hour that I owned it. It did not stop working but it stopped being powerful.
It still starts fine and revs up without being in gear.
When I put it in gear, it will rev up a little, not smooth though. But only to the point that the "butterfly" in the carb starts to seriously rotate. So as soon as there is some more airflow going in to the engine it starts to choke, it stutters, seems to rev up for every 10 sec or so but immediately chokes again when it does.
I can take gas back to the point that the butterflies are almost closed and it will run reasonable again (about 20% power)
I need someone in Fairfield ct to help me fix this. I suspect fuel pump or something like that is broken or carb orators are blocked or something like that. But I am not good enough with engines to fix this.

Anybody have advise? Or can point me to a workshop that knows old engines? Willing to pay for the service, not looking for free work, just don't want to go to a shop to be sent away because it's too old.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Need location that can service my 61 merc 400 12 years 1 month ago #68333

Anybody know a place in CT?

Re: Need location that can service my 61 merc 400 12 years 1 month ago #68335

Hi Dennis,sorry don,t know Ct area. When you say the butterfly starts to seriously rotate what do you mean by that? Is it floppy and loose and spinning with the air flow? It sounds like a linkage on the carb may have come undone.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Need location that can service my 61 merc 400 12 years 1 month ago #68337

This ain't CT, but Tim Calmes could probably help ya. Make sure ya turn the volume down before you go here: paradiseboatworks.com/

Another alternative is AOMCI meets around your area. Go to one of them and ask around: www.yankeeaomci.org/meet_schedule.htm

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Need location that can service my 61 merc 400 12 years 1 month ago #68417

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dennis;
Sounds like you're not getting fuel for whatever reason. Try disconnecting the line that goes from the fuel pump to the carbs at the fuel pump. Then squeeze the primer bulb , you should get a full stream of gas , If not something is plugged between the tank & pump. If you do get a full stream try cranking the engine with the line disconnected , The fuel pump should pump a full stream . If not the pump is bad. Or more likely has a piece of crud in one of the check valves. If you get a full stream , reconnect the line & then loosen the screws on the top of the carb filter bowls , then squeeze the primer again. Should get lots of gas running out around the bowls. If not the line between the pump & carbs is plugged. If you have gas through all this then it has to be something in the carbs. either a plugged jet or stuck float. Go throught that process & let me know what you find.
Tim
Sorry don't know anyone near you that could look at it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7004 guests and one member online