Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns.

650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns. 12 years 1 month ago #66959

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What is it with me and these 650's? I have found and restored many many old mercs from the cloud whites thru the 80's brown stripes but have never had the challenges I always seem to have with these 3 cyl 650's. This is the third one I have had and every one began with spark issues(usually the trigger that is integrated into the dist housing) then other things challenge me.

This one had no spark which was an easy fix when I spliced in 3 new wires from the distributer/energizer. Then I got it running but it was running rough and needed the choke tapped continually to keep running. Ok...so it is a fuel delivery issue right?

I removed and cleaned the carbs thoroughly(which weren't all that bad) and that didn't help. Barely coughing and fuel running out of the carbs etc. Did what I should have done the first time I had it apart and replaced the needles/seats and floats. Adjusted the float level and drop as per specs and I also replaced the gaskets and diaphram in the fuel pump.

Pumped up the ball....no leak and got and stayed hard. Turned it over....no start. Checked spark again....still good. Pre-mix in a couple of plug holes...quick fire and burn but won't run.

I am stifled... I removed fuel line from after pump and cranked to verify fuel is pumping. Double checked the distributer to flywheel positioning and it seems fine to me. There is no belt alignment plastic pointer but I ensure flywheel has #1 cyl at TDC and that the pulley pointer on the distributor is pointing directly to center of flywheel(crankshaft).

Any thoughts before I tear it down yet again?

Thanks ,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns. 12 years 1 month ago #66965

SHOTGUN! 12 Gauge!

Re: 650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns. 12 years 1 month ago #66989

goto john's old merc sit. ask for fastjeff he is ace on themor call him1 610 285 4516.

Re: 650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns. 12 years 1 month ago #67075

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I didn't have to pull out the shotgun after all. I went back and reviewed a long thread I had created last year in another forum on the last 650 issue and reminded myself of a couple of things. The initial idle screw settings after a carb rebuild on these is not the normal 1-1.25 turns out from seated but is more like 1.75 to nearly 2 turns out. So I did that and also set the distributor properly and she is running pretty good now on the hose. Changed the impeller and it is pumping and staying nice and cool.

Thanks.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:650 3 CYL....my arch nemesis returns. 12 years 1 month ago #67077

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Think that was your problem. Sometimes its the damn little simple things we forget!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6996 guests and one member online