Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steering adjustment

Steering adjustment 12 years 1 month ago #66784

With the engine on, I'm tying things together now.

Attached the steering just to see how things align. I can't use the standard 'through tilt tube' attachment because the steering cable I have is too short to reach the tube, and because of the cut of the transom, there isn't enough room anyway. The current set up uses the bracket pictured.

The end of the steering cable was attached to the lower pan. Cant set it up the way it was because the motor is now set back farther due to the new PTT set up (plus I didn't like the way it was set up before, looked sloppy)

The end of the steering cable lines up nicely with the steering arm on the PTT. One bolt and it's hooked up. However, when I wind the wheel all the way to the right, the wheel hits it's end travel before the motor is hard over. I need about 3 more inches of travel. It winds all the way over hard to the left.

I looks like I have plenty of cable travel left, but I cant figure out how to adjust the steering gear to use that extra cable.

Anyone have an idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Steering adjustment 12 years 1 month ago #66800

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Peter you might try loosening the transom bracket clamp and screwing (or sliding) the guide tube toward the starboard side about half way. I think that will help even up the balance, it looks like it's adjusted all the way to the port side. (All the threads are on the motor side of the bracket, try it in the middle.)

Mark

Re:Steering adjustment 12 years 1 month ago #66854

di9sconnect from motor. hookup the cable to the helm (steering wheel) theen rotate all the way to one end,then count the turns to the other end devide in half rotate to that point now everything is centeredloosen the mount on the transom and align to the motor centered.andtighten.

Re:Steering adjustment 12 years 1 month ago #68057

• Kmarty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dave, just saw this post and want to say "excellent" way of explaining the procedure. Yowza!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7009 guests and one member online