• Page:

TOPIC: New Engine

New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66586

• 65G3
  • 65G3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Took off the old 1978 Merc. 70hp Problem today with porposing,it got worse over 4ooo rpms Runs ok at 3000-3500 rpms Have to watch it . But this didn't happen with the old Merc 70 hp My neighbor said in the old days, they would run a bead of silicone on the bottom edge of the boat to cause a turbulance?? Whos knows ,mabey I'll try it
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66799

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
don't put anything on the bottom try raising that motor up a few inches. You have plenty of room to do so and you cavitation plate is too far below the transom. You could go 3rd or even 4th hole from the looks of it.

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66821

I'm betting the new motor weighs a bit more than the old one. I'd try moving some stuff around in the boat - maybe tuck a gas tank up under the bow? Too much weight in the ass-end will make it perform erratically. Can I assume you've played around a bit with the trim angle?

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66825

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok I looked again, the cavitation plate is only down 1 " but I can trim it so it's almost level, I don't know if raising the motor 1" will improve things I'm gonna move stuff around ..put the gas tank up front . I was going to try and put 2 50 lb. barbell plates under the bow .. to see if I can keep the bow down This new engine weighs 247 lbs

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66829

Moving existing weight is much preferable to adding more weight...

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66830

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
you can try shifting weight around but I do recommend moving the motor UP. It will make a diff going up 2 to 3 inches.
Don't put things like weights in the bow unless you plan on securing them down. You do not want anything coming at you should you hit a large wake or heavy seas.
You cav plate needs to be at minimum equal to the bottom of the boat not below it and you have room to go up without adding low water pick up or changing your prop.
Just my friendly thoughts is all.

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66837

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree with raising the motor. Some boat/motor combos simply have a weight/speed "zone" that they porpoise at, and adding speed to "drive through" that zone does work. You may be on the hook for a new stainless prop about 2" more pitch though. And, the extra speed may add smile wrinkles to your face. :lol:

Re:New Engine 12 years 1 month ago #66905

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for all the help I raised it up 1 notch, or 1 " I was gonna go 2 notches ..but the new engines don't have the 2 big screw bolts that tighten it to the transom they have 2 little tangs hanging down,so moving it up 1 notch or 1" I didn't want to push it up too high . But the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat I'll see if 1 " makes a difference.. :unsure: Update today ...I called Mercury product support He said don't worry about the tabs not touching the transom Just torque the mounting bolts ,thats the mail thing I was worried about. As soon as the sun :cheer: comes out we'll put it in the water !

Re:New Engine 12 years 3 weeks ago #69136

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well ...it was a little better about 3-3600 rpm it just starts porposing again.. :ohmy: but not as bad My dealer said he had set it up for a 20" transom but he had the cavitation plate 2 " below the boat :S he said it would go ot to 5500-6000- rpm . Thats why I raised it uo 1 notch,or 1 inch, All I can get out of it is 4000 rpm Mabey I need a smaller prop ?? :unsure:

Re:New Engine 12 years 2 weeks ago #69164

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
DEFINITELY a smaller prop!!!!!!!! Too little RPM's. What is the pitch of your prop?

Re:New Engine 12 years 2 weeks ago #69202

Hi,
You are receiving some good advice.
Each hole yields 3/4 inch change in height. If you were 2 inch below, you are still down too much. Raising-up two more hole would yield approximately 1/4 inch above.
Although your propeller pitch may be too high (assuming that you are running wide-open and trimmed-out with the rpms you state), I would raise the motor first before changing propellers to get a better understanding of what change may be needed. The motor should have not been mounted this low at the dealer.

Best Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:New Engine 12 years 2 weeks ago #69215

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The prop is 12-22- 1 1.83 gear ratio .. I told the dealer he mounted it way too low he said :ohmy: ....Well You have a 20' transom.. I mounted it for a 20" transom :blink: .. what the hell does that mean :angry: ?? So if I had a 22 inch transom.. he would have mounted it for a 22 inch transom :P .. I think he's mad at me cause I told him the cavatation plate was 2 " below the boat :( .. The I get the answer.. well I mounted it for a 20" transom!!! Doesn't anybody care about what their doing today :unsure:

Re:New Engine 12 years 2 weeks ago #69232

sounds like an a-hole to me tony. ron

Re:New Engine 12 years 2 weeks ago #69235

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ron, I can fix almost anything from lawn mowers to airplane engines, :) but Marine engines is newer to me , I have to experiment with my own stuff, like on the job training ;) ,If I have to wait for other people to help me,I'll be waiting a long time :S ! P.S. I TOOK MY PROP OFF THE 78 70 hp MERC AND PUT IT ON THIS MOTOR, :side: IT'S THE NEXT SIZE DOWN .. WELL GIVE IT TRY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS . The boat wasn't porposing with the 70 hp motor on it . I'm pretty sure its a combination of motor height and props.. seems like the dealer just wanted a quick sale . :unsure:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7554 guests and 2 members online