Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carb rebuild 1970 1350

Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66295

I am about to try rebuilding my own carbs. Never done this before, so wonder if there are any tips you folks might have. These are Tillotson carbs and look fairly simple. Between instructions and diagrams in the merc shop manual and included with my Sierra Marine kits, looks pretty straightforward. If I didn't have both, I would have questions.

Kit instructions say to disassemble carb only enough to permit a thorough cleaning - what does that mean?

Here's one of the victims...

Thanks for any help, thoughts or ideas.

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66300

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I usually don't pull the throttle shafts and butterfly plates out Frank, I've had some bad experiences getting those tiny screws back in properly. (I know you already know this, but those plastic pieces and rubber parts have to come off before going into the carb cleaner dip basket.) After they come out of the dip bucket, I squirt 'em down with carb cleaner and blast with compressed air. Other than that, I tear/tore mine down pretty much all the way. Just my two cents...... ;)

Mark

Re:Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66317

Thanks Mark. I don't have a dip basket, so plan on doing this in a small shallow pan, just big enough to cover, then use a parts brush to clean. Yup, metal stuff only, no plastic, rubber, cork, neoprene, etc.

So you squirt them down with carb cleaner when they come out too? Carb kit instructions say to "Rinse parts in a suitable solvent." I was wondering what a "suitable" solvent was!

I'll be ready with compressed air. Thanks for the help.

Frank

Re:Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66322

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I thought I saw a gallon can of carb cleaner "dip" on your workbench in one of your other posts. The gal cans I buy have the strainer inside the can, sorry for presuming yours did as well. Yup, when they come out of the strong "dip" cleaner I squirt 'em with regular aerosol carb cleaner to get the really strong stuff off/out of them, then the compressed air. Just how I do it, other folks probably have their own methods..... ;)

Mark

Re:Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66326

Yes Mark, I have a gallon of carb cleaner I just opened to clean up my pistons and ring grooves. Maybe I'll look into one of those strainer baskets. $ is tight, but that's no different than usual!

Thanks.

Frank

Re:Carb rebuild 1970 1350 12 years 1 month ago #66327

So now I find out NAPA has a round gallon (actually 3/4 gal) with a strainer bucket that is very affordable (part # 6402). I'll pick one up when I'm there to get my 1 3/8 open/closed end wrench tomorrow afternoon.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6913 guests and one member online